Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for advice on hard or soft luggage that fits over the passenger seat on my 400S. I've done a ton of reading in here and all the luggage questions are about standard saddlebags or the UFO-style hard cases, with a degree of concern about not blocking the passenger area. I have zero intention of riding 2-up, and I would love to have a stow area on the seat.

Has anyone seen anything like that or done any experimenting along those lines? I know that it would tip up every time I opened the rear compartment, but since I don't intend to carry open beverages in it, I'm okay with that.

Or ... is it unrealistic in some way that I haven't thought through?

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
I don't know of anyone that makes hard luggage that will fit on the rear seat of your 400S. Lots of companies make roll bags that you can strap to the seat like this one. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/13869/i/saddlemen-r1300lxe-delux-roll-bag.

I've also seen folks strap small hard ice chest with tight fitting lids to the seat for luggage. Some even turn them upside down so there is less likelihood of rain incursion.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
View attachment 26929

This is what I've done in the past when I needed extra storage. Get a backrest of your choosing (you'll want one any way), and strap whatever soft luggage, duffle bag or what have you, on to it.

Cheap, easy and it doesn't affect the seat operation. Win, win, win. :D

Using a backrest as a strapping point would probably work well with Buffalos suggestion. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Seat pack for Burgman 400
Hunted but did not find this in search, so here goes.

I have a 2006 Burgman 400, I wanted extra storage for overnight or longer trips. I did not want the Givi type top case or any side saddle bags.
My Burgman has a passenger backrest; however it wouldn't really be considered tall enough for a sissy bar pack.

Went to Daytona, Florida for Spring Bike Week; saw a bag that I thought would fit Burgman; alas, he was grounded at home.

Road my "Silver Hulk" to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and found the distributors for Road Ready Bags. Web site: roadreadybags.com
And no I'm not connected or getting a discount or anything like that.
I purchased the Large Rack Pack (13 inches deep by 22 inches wide by 10 inches high). I also purchased the 6 inch by 14 inch fork bag. Paired with two 18 inch soft loops, I now have the perfect trip kit for me.
The large rack pack will sit on the seat in either direction, wide or lengthwise. The 18 inch soft loops are necessary in order to fasten the bag down at the front screw connection on the side rails.

The dealer said that if you indicate you want these bags for a scooter instead of a trunk rack, that he'd lengthen the straps. He offered to do one special for me and send it via mail. Well, I couldn't wait...Had to have them Now!

For long trips will place the bag wide with the fork bag in front of it with both right behind me on the passenger seat. Tent, ground sheet, sleeping bag will go in underneath seat storage. Rain gear can strap on top of bag; 6 "D" rings and 3 outside pockets are on this bag.

The fork bag will remain on my Burgman with my first aid and safety kit within it. It will strap to the driver's seat supports and will not hinder the operation of the underneath seat storage.

I Like keeping the center of gravity low. Recommended in Basic Rider's Class. Profile of bag is below back of passenger seat rest so vehicles behind me should be able to see my safety gear from the rear. Low profile does not seem to add to the side wind displacement I already experience from trucks.

Road back from beach with gear mounted on bike. Got caught in Down pour; inside of bag stayed dry!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I also have a 2006 Burgman 400 S. And like you, I am looking at luggage with no intention of riding with a passenger. My plan is to get a rear seat bag and side bags. If I find that isn't enough then maybe a top box but I hate to loose the slick rear spoiler and better aerodynamics.

·
Registered
103 Posts
As you'll note the pictures were taken in 2007. The bags are both still waterproof.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone!

Sharing ... I don't have a passenger backrest. How comfortable would you be with the security of your setup without it?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm looking for advice on hard or soft luggage that fits over the passenger seat on my 400S. I've done a ton of reading in here and all the luggage questions are about standard saddlebags or the UFO-style hard cases, with a degree of concern about not blocking the passenger area. I have zero intention of riding 2-up, and I would love to have a stow area on the seat.

Has anyone seen anything like that or done any experimenting along those lines? I know that it would tip up every time I opened the rear compartment, but since I don't intend to carry open beverages in it, I'm okay with that.

Or ... is it unrealistic in some way that I haven't thought through?

Thanks for any help.
Is this what your looking for? I know it's on a 650, but at least it might give you an idea.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
For saddle-bags on a 400, Nelson-Rigg 850's
workout pretty well. They have some nice
foam padding on the back, to minimumize
any scratching of the paint finish on the
rear fenders.
The saddle-bags I bought, didn't have any
padding, so I use ROAD-WRAP on my side
panels where the bags rub.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I use a top load dry duffel bag like this one from NRS however mine is black. They're water proof, have d rings for strapping points and are very durable. They're sold mainly for white water rafting. The clear http://www.nrs.com/product/2920/nrs-access-duffel-dry-bag is nice for locating stuff quickly. I have a double set that stack on my seat when moto camping.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I don't think I'd want saddlebags - I've used a double level tank bag on the rear of the 650 and it makes a nice backrest as well.

On the 650 there are holes in the grab bars to take studs for bungies.
The dual level is nice - gives flex and you can even set up so the seast can be lifted if you secure around the seat but better to the grab bars.

http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/cortech-tribag-tank-bag.html

lot of storage and a nice back rest.

This is a bit slicker with more features including water bladder.

http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/fly-grande-tank-bag.html

these will usually come with a waterproof cover as well

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks again everyone!

Looking at the responses has me thinking more about my requirements. I'd need something that has a reasonably easy release so that I could treat it like luggage (to unload and carry in without a ton of hassle), or if more "permanent," it would need to be lockable with a good lock and shaped well for putting a handled bag or luggage piece into that I could pull out and carry around.

I will occasionally carry things that need to be protected from edge damage, like large pads of paper (say ... 14x17 or similar). It definitely has to be waterproof. I'm feeling like the rigid box on the 650 or the firmly-shaped bag in Sharing's post are more the thing. I checked out the intriguing bag in your post, MacDoc, but the one review complained it wasn't rigid enough.

Bora, where did that photo come from? A smaller version of that is what I was picturing in my mind when I was trying to imagine what I'd need, but I've never seen anything like it. Who makes that?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Alecto, that's a photo of my bike. The box came from a 1983 Honda GL650 that I modified. It sits on a plate that wraps under the back of the seat, and it's held in place by the buttstop bracket. Been using it since 2011, and it works great!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I checked out the intriguing bag in your post, MacDoc, but the one review complained it wasn't rigid enough.
There are so many tank bags and buddy seat bags out there I'm sure you can find something. - It's more the approach as many do not look to tank bags as a potential solution ( me being one - riding buddy came up with it and I loved the backrest aspect and the storage)
I suspect also you could make rigid with inserts or strong strapping. We still use it when kid ( who has no storage other than is tank bag )
I actually recall the bottom of the first one had a removable rigid frame of plastic to keep it's shape.

Also - top cases are are really easy to take on and off like luggage....you don't have to leave them on and they are certainly rigid.
You just turn the key and push a button to release it from the mount.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Alecto, I'm too am looking for a way to carry some additional luggage on the passenger seat on my 400 Burgman. Earlier I had bought a Moto Centric sport-tail bag to carry on a Honda Shadow while traveling. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/28888/i/motocentric-mototrek-sport-tail-bag

I would like to use this tail bag on the 400, but can't figure out how to secure it so that it won't rub the paint. One idea is to get some sheepskin like material and have a sleeve made to run the cords through. After reading this thread I thought it would be nice to use the tail bag further up as a backrest, but see photos below and now sure but what that would wear off the seat cover. I wish I could have straps the size of those on the Ari Hawk seat cover as they could go under the seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Seems to me not big enough to be worth the effort. Going under the seat has some challenge as well as hooking to the seat as you have weather seals to deal with.
I have however run bungies under the seat and still been able to latch it.
That's the 650 tho.

Some of the strapped luggage comes with sleeves to protect the finish from the straps.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
No interest in a topcase? You have what about 60 litres under the seat?
Should be fine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts