Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I offer this tip as thanks for the help given to me by the Forum.

CRUISE CONTROL

How it works -

The control is a friction device that rests against the brake lever. You turn the grip ON to whatever speed you want - using your finger to place the control against the brake lever. Friction will hold your throttle position until you want to make a change. To turn the control OFF - simply close the throttle. As power needs change you will have to make the necessary adjustments.

Material required: Total estimated cost $.50

1 - any stiff piece of wire 10 inches (trim later) 10 ga house wire shown
1 - cable tie
4 - shrink tube or black tape to cover ends

Tools required: Wire cutters

Step 1 -

Find a straight piece of wire ie, #10 house wire good

Bend wire around throttle grip

Slide loop over throttle grip bend each end so there is about 1/2 in
opening in the loop

slide the loop over the throttle - squeeze the wire together to check friction

Put the cable tie on and tighten to for the friction you like

Cut the wire just beyond the brake lever

Tape or use a piece for shrink tubing to finish

You now have a cruise control!!! Tried and tested many miles!

Enjoy! by Richard aka rapaz

Fine print: All the usual disclaimers apply - use at you own risk

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Now, THAT is the most elegant gizmo to do that yet!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm willing to try this, but I want to understand it. It looks like, with the wire hanging over the top of the brake lever, that as you open the throttle, the wire would lift up off the brake lever.

So, what you do is push the wire down against the brake lever when you're at the speed desired? And pushing it down in contact, the wire is stiff enough that the throttle doesn't tend to return because the friction of the wire wrapped around the handle? As well as the cantilever force required to … unbend the wire resting against the brake lever?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Maybe that's what the zip tie is for ... control the tension and friction on the throttle grip? i.e. to disengage, simply push the zip tie forward with your thumb?

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You got it! Cruise control at your fingertips. The cable tie pinches the wires together which controls how much friction is on the grip. Once you set it it's done. To disconnect just close the throttle, you don't have to touch the control. Super simple. To set your speed turn the grip push the control down against the lever with your finger. I overstated the cost - more like 50 cents to make.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
You got it! Cruise control at your fingertips. The cable tie pinches the wires together which controls how much friction is on the grip. Once you set it it's done. To disconnect just close the throttle, you don't have to touch the control. Super simple. To set your speed turn the grip push the control down against the lever with your finger. I overstated the cost - more like 50 cents to make.
Do a search on " O ring cruise control". It's a yellow silicone "O" ring made by Caterpillar. Or you can use a regular plumming one.. it just doesn't hold up like the silicone one..(I had to use the "Way-Back Machine for this)

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
O ring is a great idea. No labor required to fit. Cost is probably a little more than the one I use. Good share!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ahh but which is easier to disable, I would suspect Rapaz solution as the O ring is in place, how easy is it to move whilst on the go.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Cooperman,

Nothing to disable. Once it's on that's it. If you felt a need to remove, the O ring is just a matter of rolling it off. My device would require cutting the table tie and slicing off the ed cover. Either one is simply a friction stop on the throttle grip.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Or just get one of these for $3:50 from amazon free delivery. Works the same way. I used the wire trick on my last bike, works great but doesn’t look as good as this lol.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Rapaz, I didn't mean disable as in remove. If you approached a town and wanted a normal throttle operation back, is the O ring easy to move so that it no longer creates friction.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is a throttle lock,not a cruise control.

...damocles

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the clarification!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't …” … please all the people all of the time”
Abraham Lincoln

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Damocles, it is a throttle hold, it does not "lock" the throttle. A throttle lock can be bought to stop someone nicking your pride and joy. It would in fact control the speed you were cruising at so long as there were no hills or wind = Cruise control.
I suppose cruise control should really be called a "set speed contoller", as it holds a constant speed that you determine.
I knew what you meant tho.lol.
All good Ideas to give your variable speed contoller (right hand) a break when it gets tired.
The one I have fitted to my Rocket 3 is similiar to this one
However looking at the 650 it will not fit,at least without some serious modification, shame because it was great to use,just clicked on and off with your thumb.

·
Registered
163 Posts
One or the other of these I'm going to try. It's just a darn shame that the factory doesn't adopt a real cruise control for the bike. The 650 is worthy of that feature. Probably the 400 as well.

Isaksdaddy - I supposed this thing is tight enough around the grip to NOT slip when holding it against the brake lever. But loose enough your hand can overcome the friction and close the throttle. No?

And the brass adjuster adjusts said friction on the grip until you get it just right … is that correct? (Link please).

7milesout

·
Registered
525 Posts
It's just a darn shame that the factory doesn't adopt a real cruise control for the bike. The 650 is worthy of that feature. Probably the 400 as well.
Given that
  • i drive very rarely on highways, and that my most longer travel on them was about 400km (so, about 3hrs),
  • i haven't ride in on "flat" nations like Germany
so i know that what i'm gonna to say is just my opinion,

I feel that Cruise Control on the burg is a very American thing; i still have'nt found the need of a Cruise Control on our roads.
So, wether or not making one for it was very dependent on the amount of Burgman sold in USA.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
116 Posts
That goes for UK also, the ammount of traffic now on our roads means you can rarely cruise anywhere.
Nice for those trips across Northern France though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I offer this tip as thanks for the help given to me by the Forum.

CRUISE CONTROL

How it works -

The control is a friction device that rests against the brake lever. You turn the grip ON to whatever speed you want - using your finger to place the control against the brake lever. Friction will hold your throttle position until you want to make a change. To turn the control OFF - simply close the throttle. As power needs change you will have to make the necessary adjustments.

Material required: Total estimated cost $.50

1 - any stiff piece of wire 10 inches (trim later) 10 ga house wire shown
1 - cable tie
4 - shrink tube or black tape to cover ends

Tools required: Wire cutters

Step 1 -

Find a straight piece of wire ie, #10 house wire good

Bend wire around throttle grip

Slide loop over throttle grip bend each end so there is about 1/2 in
opening in the loop

slide the loop over the throttle - squeeze the wire together to check friction

Put the cable tie on and tighten to for the friction you like

Cut the wire just beyond the brake lever

Tape or use a piece for shrink tubing to finish

You now have a cruise control!!! Tried and tested many miles!

Enjoy! by Richard aka rapaz

Fine print: All the usual disclaimers apply - use at you own risk
Now that's good old AMERICAN ingenuity at it's best!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts