Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a couple mods to my Skywave 650 that some of you might be interested in.

The first is a hump bag. There are a few good humpbags on sale out there but the problem I have with them is that they block access to the Burger's main storage compartment. You gain some storage but you also lose easy access to your lockable compartment and power plug.

So, I went to my local bike accessories shop and picked up an low-profile 11 liter tankbag that uses magnets to stay put. Then I got a couple pieces of galvanized sheet metal, and taped a strip to each underside of the center floormat (it's sold here in Japan as an accessory). I may sew pockets onto the floormat to hold the sheet metal strips, but for now duct tape works fine.

And presto, I can now use a magnetic tank bag with a nice map holder, and still have access to my main storage compartment! 8)

Because any magnetic tank bag that fits in that space will work, this setup allows a lot more choice. Those of you who can't get the floormat can simply paint and tape the sheetmetal plates to the sides of the hump (using double sided tape) if you want to try this storage solution yourself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second mod was driven by the desire to have an accurate ambient temperature gauge without having to spend big bucks on the '05 model :wink:

First I bought a nifty gauge from Aerostich that is backlit for nighttime visibility, and has a clock/stopwatch function, a voltmeter, and a temp gauge that uses a remote sensor for accuracy. Then got my buddy to make me a neat little L-shaped bracket out of sheet metal, which I painted black. Then I wired up the gauge, mounted the bracket onto the center console with some strong double sided tape, and then used velcro to mount the gauge onto the bracket. Works great, and I can see the drive and shift indicators fine. I also didn't have to make any holes in the bike's plastic, so the gauge can be cleanly removed if I want to bring the bike back to stock condition.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I really like the hump bag modification you performed on your bike. I currently have DJ's hump bag, which has served me well, however, I am looking for a waterproof solution that has a useable map window. Your ideas have given be hope. Thanks.
----------
Perry R.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My $30 tank bag came with rain cover. Wish you the best in your quest! 8)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Looks real neat - and your battery needs charging! :lol:

·
Registered
287 Posts
I like that floor mat! How much does it cost?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Where do I send my money to get that hump protector?? Certainly would like to get one of those.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey Twinrider-Jim. You wouldn't consider ordering a few items for us "states" riders would you :?: :?: :idea: :idea: :eek: :eek:

We've always been trying to find a "shipping outlet/contact" for those parts in Japan, but just cannot get them to cross the ocean on their own. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys, I would consider it but it's a lot of time and work:
1) Two trips to the dealer (once to order, once to pick up).
2 Two trips to the post office (once to weigh/measure packaged item to verify shipping cost, once to ship).
3) Repackaging to ship it overseas.
4) Paypal fee to turn dollars into yen or the cost of getting a USPS money order cashed if we went that route due to post office's higher exchange rate.

Considering the work involved, the only way it would be feasible would be if I added a 25% charge based on the ordered item's cost. So, for example, a hump cover that Suzuki sells for $75 would cost you $100, plus whatever the cost of USPS Global Express shipping (with tracking) would be.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Too bad we couldn't order this stuff. Maybe in a year or so some distributor will take on this stuff and make it available here. I won't want to put you through all the trouble because it if you started I'll sure orders would flood in and next think you know you in over your head.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Accessories

I called my local dealer with the P/N for the mats on the Japanese site. They cannot use the P/N. I called the Suzuki offices in CA and the essentially told me that the mother company is completely separate and they can't/won't import their products. They do not recommend using their products. hmmmmmmmm!

I for one would be opposed to paying a 25% surcharge to get an item that is unavailable here in the USA.

The three items I was interested in are;

Qty 1 99000-99034-298 Trunk liner
Qty 1 99000-99034-30N Hump cover
Qty 1 35800-14810 Spoiler with LED brake light.

If you would let me know the costs for these, including shipping and surcharge, it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Accessories

My Bad!!! :oops: I forgot to say I would NOT be opposed to the extra charges if I can justify them.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Twinrider, I'd be more than happy to pay 25% extra for that hump mat. THAT is definitely something I'd like!

Ooooo, here's an idea! Talk to the dealer and see if he'd be willing to sell us that stuff himself? If we got his address and placed our orders, etc. Maybe he'd be willing? Just a thought...and it would save you the headache, eh?

Oh, and didn't someone state they'd found a brushed alluminum exhaust cover that said 'Burgman' on it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts