Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ahhhhh what an evening I had with El Burgo yesterday. Nothing extra special. It just served me well and things could not have gone much better. Twas about 4 pm and I was working from home, and decided I would check the weather. The weather looked like the scattered showers were running out of steam, and looked like they would pass by the spot I had in mind to go, before I got there. I had done a search on Pull-A-Part and found they had an Isuzu Trooper (but now it occurs to me, is it a Rodeo I should have been looking for?) at the South Atlanta location. According to maps it was going to take 50 minutes to get there. So I ran down to the garage and slapped on my helmet and off I went. I hustled through traffic as best I could while being safe. The whole time I was riding it looked like I was insane to be heading toward rain clouds.

But the clouds did just as I thought they might based on weather radar. I had a few tiny drop roll down my face shield at one point, but I never felt wet. And I rode on some wet roads, but never got rained on. I pulled up there at 4:55. And they run you out of the lot at 5:00 (or so they say). I went right where the search said the Trooper was, and it was there. But what I think was the Trooper, did not have the correct headrest, so I just walked down the row and bit, and lookie what I found! It was $8.03 after tax, but the lady said $8 cash is fine. I couldn't tell a Trooper from a Rodeo because they were so "pulled apart." I must have been on an Isuzu row, got lucky to find the 2nd one. And it only had this 1 headrest left. But I think I struck gold. The headrest stays did align with the butt-bump stays. It's a bit rough, but for $8, I'll clean it up and spray something dark on it. Problem is, I don't know the optimum location for the bends of the stays.

After procuring this headrest and slapping it in the underseat storage (can't do that on a Rebel), I tore on south down to McDonough to Summit Racing, and procured a flexplate for my 1972 Plymouth Scamp. Chased rain the whole way there too, but never got a drop of rain. That went successfully. I stored the flexplate in the topbox (can't do that on a Rebel), then I tore off west, stopped and grabbed a bite of supper, then tore on home, at light speed. Not really, I'm too much mpg OCD, so I rode easy. I got home and completed my last flush of the final drive. The lube looked better, but still gray. And here is a mushroom of delicious metal (I tasted it) I've been dealing with. I sure hope I'm not hosed on this final drive.

I swiped half off, to demonstrate the depth.

Cleaned it off and reinstalled. I didn't reinstall that hair though, I decided I would leave it where it was. I think it was dog hair. My stinkin mongrel sheds about a head of hair a day. It's everywhere

Am I hosed on the final drive?

P.S. I left the house a 4 pmish and to home at 8 pm. 4 hours and 80 miles worth of errand running. Quite a useful vehicle!

7milesout

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
That’s a Deal of The Day thats going to be hard to beat. You can get a dye that will match what ever color you want. Well Done Sir !

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry DP - I hit a button and submitted before I was finished. You replied while I was going back in and editing. I think Dave sent me some info on some dye that will color it appropriately. I'm thinking this may be a good future direction for new Driver's Seat Back seekers. Seems this headrest was not difficult to find, and C-H-E-A-P. Just got to figure out the bends, and may see if I can retain the butt bump too somehow.

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Sorry DP - I hit a button and submitted before I was finished. You replied while I was going back in and editing. I think Dave sent me some info on some dye that will color it appropriately. I'm thinking this may be a good future direction for new Driver's Seat Back seekers. Seems this headrest was not difficult to find, and C-H-E-A-P. Just got to figure out the bends, and may see if I can retain the butt bump too somehow.
I bet there’s not one in a 25 mile radius of Dave_J house 😁

We haven’t run out of milk, butter or eggs since I got my Burgman....remember to use the small carts. Dave was the one who tipped me off that you can carry Papa Murphy’s Family Size Pizza's under the seat.

Covid-19 tip ....after check out don’t have em bag you groceries just have em put em back in the cart ....then load the items in the Burgman Belly un-bagged ...you can get an extra 25% under there.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The headrest I found was 26 miles away! But that made it all the more fun. It was like a scavenger hunt, on El Burgo.

How many T-Bone steaks will fit under the seat? Since the volume is so large, we should discuss it in cow units. I.E. - That storage unit holds 3/5ths a side of beef!

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
It will hold one 85 liter meatball .🍝

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If (almost) anyone has some feedback on my primary drive, it would be appreciated. Do you all see that much metal when you change your PD oil?

·
Administrator
18,335 Posts
I have 2 and need no more than that. Its too much work for me.

Getting it in a vice to hold the padded part down and bend the hardened steel rods is tough from what I read. BearCat held the rods and heated the area to bend cherry red, bent it quickly and quenched it to avoid melting the plastic.

You then will need to add two tubes to the bent sections to fit inside the slides. You can notch the tubes a little so the slide lock keeps it set and it can not be pulled out.

4.jpg

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
If (almost) anyone has some feedback on my primary drive, it would be appreciated. Do you all see that much metal when you change your PD oil?
That looks pretty nasty, I change my finL drive every other oil change which is happening today. I've only ever seen a very and I mean very light coating of metal on the magnetic drain bolt. I will post a pic of mine later on today when I change my final drive fluid.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I assume you are showing the final drive, right? Are you running the right gear lube? That looks horrible. Most strange, is the black color. Gear lube shouldn’t get black like combustion polluted engine oil. I change mine every 3 years, and it comes out light amber colored with almost no visible particles. With that color , I’d almost guess you have some chemical erosion going on in there, ether from an incompatible oil lube chemistry, or simply aging seals snd metal surfaces.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a total of about 2,000 miles that I have personally put on the bike. I might have put 2 miles on it in the neighborhood before I completely serviced every serviceable filter and fluid (See: First Things First). Not knowing what the status was of it all. Everything looked good, except the final drive.

Since that first FD oil change, I have changed it 2 more times (3 times total in the first 2,000 miles). I suspect the FD oil was never changed until I bought the bike (~9,500 miles). I think the reason it looks dark is that I use Valvoline 80W-90 gear oil and it starts off a deep red / maybe maroon color. And it just keeps getting darker as very fine metal particles are worn off and added to the oil.

I doubt there's been any water intrusion. I only rode in rain once, and it was going dark before that. Otherwise I park the bike in the garage and don't ride on rainy days. The fluid draining out did have a bit of grayish color, representative of fine metal.

I think I'm just going to keep flushing it until it either stops wearing or breaks. I'm not going to complain about my 650's mpg with the following sentence. But when I ride it and I hear FD whining noise, I have wondered if all this metal / wear might have something to do with my mpg being what I feel is a skosh lower than nominal. Maybe that or my big fat Shrek arse. I've seen the cute little gears in the Final Drive (google search). And I know that straight cut gears are a) stronger and b) more efficient than helical cut gears, but c) they are much more noisy that helical cut gears. Like a manual transmission car. Their reverse is normally a straight cut gear, and is why it makes noise when in reverse. So, I can understand why our FD makes noise. However, I should ride another 650 as I would like to see if mine seems noiser than others.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Just to put my 2 cents in. I just finished tweaking my backrest for my Burgman 400. 1st try we did on my friends 4 inch vise. It was more of an experiment. I wanted the backrest part lower so I purchased a 3 inch vise from Harbor Freight for $26.00. You get what you pay for. The vise plates were actually 3 1/2 inches but my friend had a belt grinder and I sanded them down. Also the plates did not close right due to too much paint in some of the threads of the bolts so a big part was sorting out the $26.00 vice. It helped having a level to make sure I was bending it straight which my friend held. Tweaking the angle is trial and error so a lot of times you have to set it back in the vice. I found a black 3/8 pvc hose at O'Reilly's auto parts that fits over metal bars. Not perfect but I can live with it. To get the backrest any lower I would need a hydraulic press at a machine shop and not a 26.00 vise.

Attachments

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Hey 7milesout I'm taking care of my oil changes right now, here is a Pic of my final drive oil and uncleaned drain plug after 7000 miles. I would say you have something going on i side your final drive. My Bike is a 2012 650.
20200704_075058.jpg

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found a black 3/8 pvc hose at O'Reilly's auto parts that fits over metal bars. Not perfect but I can live with it. To get the backrest any lower I would need a hydraulic press at a machine shop and not a 26.00 vise.
Fester, your 2 cents worth is worth at least 3 cents, and appreciated! At work we have a lab with some machine tools. Not a lot of machine tools, lots of testing equipment. What we do have is fabulous. Anyway, I think we have plenty good enough stuff to bend these stays. I would rather my HR/BR be higher than lower, but yours looks about right to me. And, your headrest looks more comfortable than this Isuzu HR. Maybe I should have grabbed a HR out of my Corolla when The Warden destroyed it. Oh well.

Did you and your friend heat the HR stays when bending?

My biggest issue is going to be finding the right O.D. rod covers to fit correctly into the seat. If anyone can help me figure that out, that would be great.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey 7milesout I'm taking care of my oil changes right now, here is a Pic of my final drive oil and uncleaned drain plug after 7000 miles. I would say you have something going on i side your final drive. My Bike is a 2012 650.
Inferno - That is hard to believe that your FD is so friggin clean. I'm hoping that the worst case scenario for my bike is that the FD wasn't serviced, and that now I'm basically washing all the crap out. The Valvoline 80W/90 meets the specifications recommended by Suzuki. But is also inexpensive, and readily available at car parts stores. Due to those aspects, I'm just going to keep using that as I'm disposing of it pretty quickly. Theoretically at this point, my FD is lubricated properly, I'll just keep flushing it out every 500 - 1,000 miles and hopefully the metal will at some point get all washed out, or quit wearing off.

I'm mostly going to be using the bike to a) increase my enjoyment of riding up to my old man's house (2 wheels are more enjoyable than 4), and b) use about 1/3rd the fuel of my next most fuel efficient vehicle (besides my mighty Honda Rebel 250). Riding it on the interstate should give it the maximum ability to wash that mess out. Although those gears are small enough and therefore spin fast enough that riding it around town probably washes it out just as effectively.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Inferno - That is hard to believe that your FD is so friggin clean. I'm hoping that the worst case scenario for my bike is that the FD wasn't serviced, and that now I'm basically washing all the crap out. The Valvoline 80W/90 meets the specifications recommended by Suzuki. But is also inexpensive, and readily available at car parts stores. Due to those aspects, I'm just going to keep using that as I'm disposing of it pretty quickly. Theoretically at this point, my FD is lubricated properly, I'll just keep flushing it out every 500 - 1,000 miles and hopefully the metal will at some point get all washed out, or quit wearing off.

I'm mostly going to be using the bike to a) increase my enjoyment of riding up to my old man's house (2 wheels are more enjoyable than 4), and b) use about 1/3rd the fuel of my next most fuel efficient vehicle (besides my mighty Honda Rebel 250). Riding it on the interstate should give it the maximum ability to wash that mess out. Although those gears are small enough and therefore spin fast enough that riding it around town probably washes it out just as effectively.
It is very clean considering I Live in Brooklyn NY and commute into Manhattan every day in stop and go traffic. The funny thing is my FD oil has always come out pretty clean from the beginning and only had a small amount of fine metal particles on the drain plug the first FD oil change.
I hope it is just the previous owner never changed the fluid and did cause any premature wear because that was a lot of metal shavings on your drain plug.
Keep us posted.

·
Administrator
18,335 Posts
The left rear wheel bearing is open to the final drive so if the bearing fails its metal can get into the drive.

Reactions: InfernoST

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
My backrest/headrest came from a Chysler Pacifica per the threads on the Burgman 400 forum about making one. No heat was necessary to bend. We used the handle extension off a floor jack. Just make sure you know were you want to start the bend and everything is level because once you make that angle you can't change the starting position only the degree of the angle. Like I said the first one was practice figuring out the best way to go about it.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took the butt-bumper off and have rode around some. I can't say that I like it too much more than with it on. I'm use to my knees being close from small cars. And it looks mo' bettuh with the bumper on.

After work I get to ride down to Summit Racing in McDonough, GA and return a flexplate. Or argue with them about returning a flexplate. Either way, it will be an enjoyable time on El Burgo.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Uncle Fester - It doesn't appear that you've added larger diameter tube to your headrest stays. Does it stay in the seat holes rigidly? And if so, does it stay in there rigidly due to the radius of the tube feeding into the seat holes?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts