Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to try out a Harley and not ride my Burgman . . . temporarily. My wife and I are vacationing in Stuart, Florida, far from our NW Indiana home. Not taking the Burgman, so will be bike-less . . . until I rent something from Eagle Riders in Stuart. They rent Harleys, and I thought we'd try one out on a ride down to Key West some time during our vacation. Would much rather do it on a Burgman, but alas, nobody rents Burgmans.

Now . . . if some, kind-hearted, generous Burgman owner in the Stuart area wants to loan out his baby for a day . . . :D

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Make sure your dental coverage is up-to-date. I think I lost a filling last time I rode a Harley, it shook so bad. :D

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
If they rent Victories pick it. Way nicer bike! My son has one & it's very nice!!
100_0498.jpg

·
Registered
252 Posts
Rent2wheels rents out burgmans. Not sure if there is one near where you are staying. There is one in Austin and several in Florida.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have wondered about Victory building a scooter, Polaris already has a lot of experience with the belt drive on their snowmobiles.

I doubt that Polaris will enter the scooter market. The Victory and Indian motorcycles compete directly against Harley. Harley is an easy target because of the old technology and design. I think the scooter market would be much more challenging with the Burgmans, BMWs and several more in the market with modern and up to date models that would be hard to improve upon.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I doubt that Polaris will enter the scooter market. The Victory and Indian motorcycles compete directly against Harley. Harley is an easy target because of the old technology and design. I think the scooter market would be much more challenging with the Burgmans, BMWs and several more in the market with modern and up to date models that would be hard to improve upon.
I agree Polaris is out to take on Harley. If you have ever seen a Victory or new Indian those are some great competition rides for folks that like Harley.
Check out: http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en-us/community/story/daytona-beach-police-impressed?wt.mc_id=6DAAA74A-BC5B-E411-91FA-0050569A00BC&wt.mc_ev=email&WT.mc_id=

You can guess which former bike they were referring to.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I rode Harley for 15 years before I bought my Burgy 650 this past May. Harley is very good for what it is - lots'a personality and very satisfying to the male ego. But don't expect it to be anything like your Burgman back in Indiana. They are of two different concepts as far as two wheeling goes. Enjoy the Harley for it's power and low end torque, it's personality, it's tradition as American iron. Most likely, it'll make you really appreciate your Burgman even more when you get back home.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Polaris is doing the Slingshot, which is a rather bizarre contraption, more than a snowmobile on wheels.

It's not for me, but then I can't afford it. I'm still not convinced it's a motorcycle.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Calgary

·
Registered
252 Posts
I think Harley has been reading this forum and placed a commercial during the Cowboys/Cardinals game. (Ahhhh... an interception!)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sell Harley's for a living and bought a traded in burgman 650 3 weeks ago. I have over 2k miles on the burgman. About the same total miles I have on every HD I have ever ridden combined. I have ridden every model HD made since Reagan was in Office. If bikes were shoes, HDs are high heels / dress shoes.

signature ommited to protect the innocent

·
Registered
285 Posts
Don't ride much do ya!

Harleys no longer vibrate except at idle and they don't sound like the 650 Burgman diesel either.

Rent a dresser and have fun--at least no one will make fun of you:)

3 Harleys and 3 650 Burgmans plus many others!

Sam:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
All the Harley bashing... any of you ever ridden anything but your scooter?

I tell Harley guys dont knock it till you try it. Same thing here, dont knock Harleys till you try them... There is a reasion they sell a ton of them. Bashers, get a life... Yes, I own a 2012 Harley and no it is not my first. Rode a 1969 XLCH in HS. Yep 50 years of owning and riding MCs this year.

Keep your rubber on the road and chicken strips thin...

·
Registered
345 Posts
I was a proud Harley owner right up until Christmas of last year when I sold my pristine '07 883R w/ EFI and rubber dampened motor mounts. That bike got more attention than any other bike i've ever owned. Bought it primarily as a weekend pleasure bike, not as a going to work and back bike. Man, that bike is such a thrill to ride. There's nothing out there that's like a Harley. The meaty sound and the way it lopes at idle (potato-potato-potato) is so unique that H/D trademarked it, same way that MGM registered the roar of its lion as a trademark, and NBC registered its three-toned chime as a service mark. Nothing wrong w/ that.

Those who don't know H/D thinks the unique idle is a bad characteristic. Not the case at all. It has to do with the firing order of the V twin. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question325.htm

·
Registered
438 Posts
Meh. Some people like Harleys and some people don't. I like cruisers and have two, a Yamaha 1100 V-Star and 900 Kawasaki Vulcan.

Three or four years ago I pulled into Cranbrook on my 1100 V-Star and saw that Demo Day was the next day. I hung around and took a Heritage Softtail and Road King out for a test ride, an hour long, 40-mile circuit outside town. I was struck by the mechanical noise, all that clicking and clacking, like a sewing machine on steroids. The dealer told me Harley guys like that noise, so I guess I'm not a Harley guy. My Yamaha is much quieter, with less vibration. I got back on my bike and rode on, happy for the chance to try a bike that cost twice as much as mine and didn't deliver anything more.

I still ride my scooter more than my other bikes.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Calgary

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
All the Harley bashing... any of you ever ridden anything but your scooter?

I tell Harley guys dont knock it till you try it. Same thing here, dont knock Harleys till you try them... There is a reasion they sell a ton of them. Bashers, get a life... Yes, I own a 2012 Harley and no it is not my first. Rode a 1969 XLCH in HS. Yep 50 years of owning and riding MCs this year.

Keep your rubber on the road and chicken strips thin...
Harleys have their place but they are not a good choice on the steep crooked mountain roads I ride about 90% of the time. My riding group consisted of BMWs, Burgman 650 scooters and a few nice Harleys of various different models and ages. The Harleys couldn't keep up with the BMWs and 650 because of the very sharp curves and steep upgrades. One Harley rider bought a 650 so he could keep up and a couple of others quit. The most dedicated Harley rider decided to trade his 06 for a BMW R1200RT. He rode to the dealer but they wouldn't take it in trade because it had 50,000 miles (hard to sell because the market was flooded with low mileage ones) and a bad stator. Since he couldn't trade, he started home and the gearshift lever fell off on the interstate. A following BMW stopped, got the part and followed him as he limped to the nearest Harley dealer. The Harley dealer told him that the part that broke almost never broke but they happened to have it in stock. They fixed the bike while he waited and he rode it straight home where he called the BMW dealer and bought a BMW. He then wholesaled the Harley.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts