Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
The Telegraph said:
It gains a couple of small glove boxes alongside the larger, lockable one in the fairing, and the footboards are redesigned to allow the rider's feet to reach the ground more easily.
Anyone care to explain that to me, about the glove boxes or is the reviewer not familiar with the Burgy?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MJR said:
The Telegraph said:
It gains a couple of small glove boxes alongside the larger, lockable one in the fairing, and the footboards are redesigned to allow the rider's feet to reach the ground more easily.
Anyone care to explain that to me, about the glove boxes or is the reviewer not familiar with the Burgy?

Mmm. Good point. I suspect the latter.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Judging by his comments about the suspension maybe he has zero experience of motorcycles generally.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NormanB said:
Judging by his comments about the suspension maybe he has zero experience of motorcycles generally.
No. Roland Brown has ridden & tested hundreds of bikes and I have found inconsistances in some of his reports that suggest that he has merely copied or plaigerised other people's writings. I have seen phrases like "the brakes were adequate" when in truth they would very quickly bring on a need to change your underpants. Like all newspaper writers he has a deadline and lucrative short cuts prevail.

·
I'm Retired
9,371 Posts
Seemed like a decent review, even if one doesn't like the term glove boxes. He did take a decent picture of them, so there is no doubt of what he is talking about.

His summation sounded much like many members here have said. Suzuki tweaked a few things, but didn't make a substantial redesign like we had hoped for. But they increased the price.

Chris

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I cannot agree that it resembled anything near a decent review. The redesign to the clutch/transmission is significant of itself, we will have to obtain more user experience before we can assess the claimed 15% improvement is realised, although the early indication (1 owner) is encouraging .

If the new 400 had been released with a claimed 15% improvement you (Daboo) would have been shouting from the rooftops. :wink:

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Daboo said:
Seemed like a decent review, even if one doesn't like the term glove boxes.
It wasn't that I didn't like the term it was that he showed a unfamiliarity with the previous 650 as I have a pair of glove boxes in addition to the lockable one. And I think mine are bigger. :D

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
There was a review in MCN Motor Cycle News a week or two back,
for those that don't know it's a UK weekly bike paper and in all honesty
they are very sportbike orientated so a review from them is unusual ,
not only that but they have one on long term test.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Ralph M said:
There was a review in MCN Motor Cycle News a week or two back,
for those that don't know it's a UK weekly bike paper (snip) they have one on long term test.
Now that would be good to follow.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
They don't put the same story on the site as the one in the paper or no one would buy the rag
but it may be worth visiting this link now n then.
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Blogs/Steve-Farrell/

There is a bit of a older test on the site in which they slate it a bit 2007, but the new test
seems very positive. May 15th for anyone in the UK

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Ralph,

Has MCN lost some of it's lustre in the UK?

I know when I was riding at home (late 80's & 90's) it was pretty much regarded as the definitive voice on two wheels, and almost everyone who rode read it.

Last couple of comments I've read regarding their opinions make me believe that they are not held on the same level of esteem any more. So I'm just curious...... .......all input from UK contributors appreciated.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fatjock said:
Ralph, Has MCN lost some of it's lustre in the UK? Last couple of comments I've read regarding their opinions make me believe that they are not held on the same level of esteem any more. So I'm just curious....all input from UK contributors appreciated.
I stopped reading MCN about 4 years ago because it seemed to me to be mostly oriented towards the race-replica gaudy one-piece leather brigade who are only appreciated by other posers of the same type - (and no woman fancies perching on the back of a race rep rather than a more comfortable type of bike). Also, the MCN writers seemed to believe that the hallmark of a true biker was quickly rubbing the 'nobblies' off the sides of the tyres, plus the ability to 'wheely' on demand. Not my bag I'm glad to say. :D

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
peelbrow said:
Fatjock said:
Ralph, Has MCN lost some of it's lustre in the UK? Last couple of comments I've read regarding their opinions make me believe that they are not held on the same level of esteem any more. So I'm just curious....all input from UK contributors appreciated.
I stopped reading MCN about 4 years ago because it seemed to me to be mostly oriented towards the race-replica gaudy one-piece leather brigade who are only appreciated by other posers of the same type - (and no woman fancies perching on the back of a race rep rather than a more comfortable type of bike). Also, the MCN writers seemed to believe that the hallmark of a true biker was quickly rubbing the 'nobblies' off the sides of the tyres, plus the ability to 'wheely' on demand. Not my bag I'm glad to say. :D
Yeah, they were always inclined towards the "unemployed Power Ranger" crowd, but let's be honest, the majority of the UK bike Bike market is sportbike oreintated, just like the majority in the US is cruiser orientated.

They used to cover all bikes, so I guess now they are just pandering to the masses more.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
MCN also known as More Crap News :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
15 liters is about 4 gallons, times 50 mpg equals a range close to 200 miles, not the 150 he quoted. (Although as a practical matter, I wouldn't go much past 180 miles before refueling). I thought he adequately addressed the mechanical changes, as well as cosmetic changes (but I think it's new look is a notable improvement). He clearly suffered from 'sticker shock' which may have influenced the overall tone of the review.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
jeff_MDR said:
15 liters is about 4 gallons, times 50 mpg equals a range close to 200 miles, not the 150 he quoted. (Although as a practical matter, I wouldn't go much past 180 miles before refueling). I thought he adequately addressed the mechanical changes, as well as cosmetic changes (but I think it's new look is a notable improvement). He clearly suffered from 'sticker shock' which may have influenced the overall tone of the review.
He was guessing practical mileage range. I've run out at 164 miles before around town and gone as far as 179 miles before filling up on the interstate at reasonable speeds. I always in my normal to/from work look to fill up around 150 miles just so I don't run outta gas again so his range estimate for looking for fuel equals mine. In most cases a gas tank stated volume in necessarily the useable volume. The most I've put in my '09 (didn't have a way to measure when I ran out as gas was brought to me) was 3.779 gallons at 140 miles on the odometer for an average of 37.2 mpg (my worst so far) so it's possible had I not filled up I could have been pushing it, no fun. On the flip side I have at my best achieved 59.9 mpg (168 miles on 2.8 gallons). My average economy over nearly 21,000 mile so far has been 44.3 mpg.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
What ever mpg he got he wont have been hanging around, I rode a W800 Kawa the one
they tested just after them last year, there was nothing left of the hero blobs ground
down flat with the pegs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts