Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

how you should break in your engine?

• flooring it (making sure engine temp is optimal)?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • regular driving, what ever the traffic allows?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist getting on the freeway and giving a try to my burg.

I reached 85mph and hold it for about 1 mile, then I came back to fraffic speed 70-75.

My burg has already 100+ miles. in less than a week , ohh boy.

I have read some post regarding breaking in the engine, not going over 4k rpm's but, on the 400cc, it's near to impossible to keep it there. besides, to my advantage, I rather thinking that the best way to break in the engine is flooring it.

I don't really know what to do... I have never had a bike before, now if the damege is already done...

what do you think???

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
85 0n 400

I had a 400 and with about 150 miles on it 2 up riding, we were doing 75 mph for about 5 miles. I to was worried too, but don't be. I had no bad reactions or problems. I put about 3,000 miles on it then traded it in on a 650 because we did mostly 2 up riding. The only thing I would suggest, is changing the oil a lot sooner then they recommend. At 250 miles I changed the oil on my 650 and was suprised to see the amount of shavings in the oil, and then again @ 1,000. I think your 1st oilchange is the most important and sooner the better. I found the more miles on the 400 the better as far as power goes.

Again CHANGE THE OIL

·
Registered
605 Posts
Breaking it in

Hey there,

I don't think you did any harm. So long as you didn't lug the engine up and long hill with 2 up and on a hot day I think you'll be fine. But do change the oil and maybe the filter. Running the engine up actually with some load and pressure on the motor will help seat the piston rings. I was wondering if this engine had "nikelsil" type cylinder bores??? BMW have this surface and I've seen engines with over 100K and you could still see the hash marks. Timothy

·
Registered
319 Posts
We ran our 400 80mph the first day we had it. I'd watch the trmp gauge, and
DEFINITELY change oil at 250 miles. Do the filter too, they're cheaper than a
new motor! As for us, we plan on 2000 mile oil changes for the life of the
machine. My Roadstar gets the 2000 mile change, and so far, so good.
I've got an '85 VMAX with 120,000 miles on it, and using the 2000 mile interval, I've had NO engine problems. Haven't even had the heads off!
Still got less than 5% leakdown..
Oil is cheaper than bearings......memorize that, and do it every 2000 miles,
max!
Scoot on!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a 400. I followed the book ...by the book!

I EASILY ran my 400 at 4000 rpm's for the first 500miles and stayed within 6000 till 1000 miles.

I decided pass a tough-guy (who just passed me) in a volkewagon and I discoevered I was going 85 to pass hime. I felt so safe that I instantly recognized it as an opportunity to see how fast I could go.

I did 92 for a few seconds and backed off because the wind was kicking and a good curve was coming up. So I feel that it would have done the 95 I keep hearing about.

So anyway, if you can only get yours up to 85 mph, I hope it's not because you didn't follow the owner's manual!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no, tony, It's just because I didnt want to push the burg to its limits so soon! :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts