Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just spent 6 days working on a car that has an anti theft system, turns out the key/ignition system is worn and needs to be replaced, but because it has an anti theft system the anti theft device has to be re programmed at the dealership and that is going to cost 800 total, research says these theft device keys are good for about 5 years with normal wear , no word on cylinder,

not looking forward to doing this again on my nissan versa so I am looking to disable the anti theft before it becomes necessary, the dang thing works by disabling starter and fuel pump and sometimes injectors. a dead battery can set it off , if you have it you might want to investigate its marvelous capabilities for ruining your day for a week !

·
Read Only
1,204 Posts
Is this a Nissan issue? My kids and I have had several GM, Ford and one Toyota with as much as 300,000 miles on them that were 10-15 years old that never gave us any problems at all. I always get an extra key made up front, especially Ford where you need 2 keys to reprogram a replacement key without spending big money a the dealer.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Some cars are worse than others and the Honda HISS system is not fool proof,
some firms in the UK make a good living disabling these systems, and some are
affected by near by radio and radar so it can be worth moving it down the road
half a mile or waiting for a gap in aircraft on approach.

·
Premium Member
17,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this was a 2000 chevy impala LS the alternator died intially killing the battery, then the car thought it was being stolen after the battery was charged and alternator changed , if this car don't want to get stolen it aint gonna get stolen !

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
my 91 Oldsmobile Toronado has the exposed chip in the key (think one of the first anti-theft systems that they came out with). Any who, i found out the hard way that if you get that chip wet (rain perhaps?) it gives a false resistance reading and trips the anti-theft system. So there I was, on a hot rainy day, sitting in my very humid car for about 10 minutes, waiting for the system to reset itself.

The systems have gotten alot better, but sadly, when they go, they go very expensively. And all have their quirks. Heck, a 2009 (or roundabout) HD my step-dad just bought has a transponder in the key where you gotta be close to it to deactivate the alarm.

·
Registered
White Burgman 650 standard
3,157 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I will PM you and instruct you how to reset the passkey system.
It's really pretty simple to do.
GM just doesn't want everybody to know how to do it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Our local locksmith does them for $125.
Still expensive but not quite as bad.
Check around for better prices or bypass the system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts