Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Burg 400 is just about due it's 7500 miles service and planning on doing it myself. Now for the questions1

!. Has anyone use an aftermarket oil filter? If so what brand and part #?

2. Has anyone used Shell Rotella T synthetic oil for the engine and final gear oil?

3. How about an aftermarket air clearner filter? What brand and part #?

4. And an aftermarket for the spark plug? What brand and part #?

Got get the bike ready for the trip to Scootercade!

Thanks for all the help you will give me.

·
Registered
806 Posts
For an aftermarket oil filter, I have NOT used K&N http://www.knfilters.com/search/appsearch.aspx on the Burgman, but I did use it on my wife's Aprilia with no problems. They also carry an air filter as well but I don't use their air filters. They have higher flow rates and increased power because they let more air and, according to a test I read not too long ago, micron sized dirt into the engine. Avoid the K&N air filter, but the oil filter should be fine.

I have used the Shell Rotella full synthetic 5W40 from Wal Mart at under 4 bucks a quart and have had not just good, but GREAT luck with it. I changed the oil on the Aprilia Scarabeo150 with this oil and promptly put over over 1600 miles at full throttle (interstate). I got great mileage and used about 1/8 of a quart. It is suppose to have more additives to meet the stringent commercial requirements of heavy duty diesels but also meets the API SL, SG, requirements for the Burgman. Good stuff.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I use stock filters and plugs, not because there better but because I am lazy, that's the reason I am thinking about the K&N air filter.. :)
As it happens I have use Shell Rotella T synthetic oil, never had any problem, in any truck or bike..

·
Registered
806 Posts
Perhaps anyone that wants to use a K&N might wanna read this test:

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

The K&N clogged faster WHILE letting by more dirt.

An excerpt along with a link to the graph being discussed:

-----------------

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO ... age010.jpg

In the chart above it’s important to note the different test durations for each filter. The AC Delco filter test ran for 60 minutes before exceeding the restriction limit while the AMSOIL and K&N tests each ran for 20 and 24 minutes respectively before reaching max restriction. In 60 minutes the AC Filter accumulated 574gms of dirt and passed only 0.4gms. After only 24 minutes the K&N had accumulated 221gms of dirt but passed 7.0gms. Compared to the AC, the K&N “plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt. See the data tables for a complete summary of these comparisons.

------------------

The other article I read but cannot find (darnit!) was about a construction company that tried to save some money by going with K&N. After about 5 months of installation, they started seeing increased oil usage on their engines. According to the test mentioned above, it's probably because of the dirt being let through.

Again, with everything I have read, I would avoid not only K&N, but most aftermarket air filters.

Just my opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts