Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my AN650 off yesterday afternoon for its 7500 mile service, and got it back late this morning.

I had Silkolene full synthetic oil put in the engine and transmission ($37.99) and Silkonene full synthetic gear oil put in the rear drive ($15.35). They installed an new OEM Suzuki oil filter ($9.99), and two new NGK spark plugs ($13.98 ). Labor was billed at three hours ($195). Plus the usual misc shop fees and tax.

Out of pocket cost to me was $0.00, because of the 3 year maintenance agreement I purchased.

Note: If I didn't have the maintenance agreement, I wouldn't have specifed the most expensive lubricants on the shelf, and I would have questioned why they replaced the spark plugs this early. But since I do have the maintenance agreement, it costs me $0.00 whether they use the most expensive oil, or the cheapest oil - and it makes no out of pocket difference whether they just inspect the spark plugs or give me new ones.

I paid $899 for the maintenance contract, and in my first 9 months of ownership, I've racked up $628.76 in maintenance costs, which includes three scheduled services, one extra engine oil & filter change in April, and the mounting of my Pirelli rear tire - all covered under the agreement. I figure I'll rack up about $2000 by the end of the 3 years, unless they shoot me first or steal my scooter....

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
That's good to hear. I also bought the extended warranty and service plan. (3yrs 20K milkes) $1100.00

Im going to call my service guy and ask him if I can put the high end stuff in my bike too.

Thanks for the info.
-Bryan

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
I just got off the phone with my service person. (Not the mechanic.)

She said that if I wanted to use synthetic oil, I would have to bring it in myself since they do not carry it. I asked her which oils were to be changed at my 4k mile service. She replied, only the motor oil. I told here that I thought there was some other oil that got changed out besides the motor oil. SHe said " they dont make synthetic crank case oil, so all I have to worry about was bringing in synthetic motor oil.

???? Hmm....? Whats the real deal? Ive never done my services so Im not totally sure whats involved, which oils are changed , etc...

On the 4K service, what needs to be done?

-Bryan

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greengoose said:
That's good to hear. I also bought the extended warranty and service plan. (3yrs 20K milkes) $1100.00

Im going to call my service guy and ask him if I can put the high end stuff in my bike too.
If they say "No way", don't tell them where I live... 8)

But really, part of that deal is that the dealership is providing extended warranty for a couple of years. So I'd think it is to their advantage to put the good stuff in. Less chance of problems later on during the warranty period. And their cost on the premium lubricants probably isn't too bad.

As to whether that premium oil is actually way better than the lower cost stuff - some folks argue convincingly that it isn't. But for free, why not use it...

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greengoose said:
I just got off the phone with my service person. (Not the mechanic.)

She said that if I wanted to use synthetic oil, I would have to bring it in myself since they do not carry it. I asked her which oils were to be changed at my 4k mile service. She replied, only the motor oil. I told here that I thought there was some other oil that got changed out besides the motor oil. SHe said " they dont make synthetic crank case oil, so all I have to worry about was bringing in synthetic motor oil.

???? Hmm....? Whats the real deal? Ive never done my services so Im not totally sure whats involved, which oils are changed , etc...

On the 4K service, what needs to be done?

-Bryan
4,000 mile gets engine oil change only. Transmission and rear end get changed at 600 miles and 7500 miles (every other service). Suzuki recommends changing the engine oil filter at every other service too, but my shop does it at every oil change. There is a maintenance chart in your owners manual that shows this... RTFM! (That means, please refer to your owner's manual boss... :wink: )

She was off the wall about the synthetics though. The engine and transmission use the same type oil. And I haven't been in a motorcycle dealership lately that didn't carry regular motorcycle oil, synthetic blends, and full synthetics - it is a big money maker for them. I dunno, maybe these folks dance to a different drum... And there is definitely synthetic 90 wt gear oil available. The brand I am running right now is Silkolene, but I doubt that they are the only ones that make it.

If it comes down to you really having to supply your own synthetics, I think I wouldn't bother. I'd just go with the oil they use, and change it on schedule.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An interesting side note. When I dropped my Burgman 650 off for service yesterday it had 7,303 miles on the odometer. When I picked it up today, it had 7309 miles on the odometer. Difference = 6 miles.

Now, I've seen them test machines after setup or service there. It's usually several loops around the parking lot. Big parking lot, but it would take many loops to add up to 6 miles....

Then of course, they have their 3 mile test ride circuit on local roads...

I'm so glad they tested my machine thoroughly after service...

Or wait! Is it possible that an employee or two at the dealership could have been curious about the Remus pipe, Koni shocks, custom seat? Could I have provided them with a couple of test rides? Hmm...

Actually, I don't care as long as they did a good thorough job with the service. I think it is kind of funny. Might have a couple of "closet scooterists" in that service department...

·
Registered
220 Posts
You're sure there weren't some twisties nearby? Check thy tyres. They can get scrubbed fiercely in no time at all.

BTW: Wednesday came, and is apparently, as we speak, passing by. Just say no to the guaranteed delivery date of my Clearview. I feel an irreversible depression coming on. If this keeps up I'm going to sell everything and buy a Honda Trail 90.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts