Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post on Burgman USA, though I've been following since I bought my baby back in December. This community is full of useful advice.:D

I've found several threads similar to this, but I wanted opinions from some who have completed their 7500 mile service for the 650. I have 2 suzuki dealerships around me, call them A and B. A (where I bought my Burg from) price quotes me $350, and says the service should take 3-5 hours. They claim the price for labor is fixed by Suzuki, and they can't charge more than that. Dealership B price quotes me $800, and says the service cannot be completed in less than 8 hours. Of course, A tells me B is price gouging, and B tells me A can't do a good job in only 3-5 hours. Both claim they'll do every task on the recommended inspection list.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Did this service truly take 8 hours for you? Is $800 excessive, or is that what I should expect to pay for good service? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Well if it is any help I would have been distracted if it took me more than 2 hours flash to bang.

Welcome to the forum BTW.
:hello2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been tempted to take a motorcycle repair class to learn to do it myself, but figure the unique setup of the Burg would make a lot of the class irrelevant.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I'm with Norman, something is wrong if it takes me more then 2 hrs. Get yourself a service manual, read thru the "How To" section, read the burgman knowledge base and look at sites like LeDudes and you will be able to save yourself tons of money and time. In short order if you have even only basic wrenching skills you will find you have become very competent in your knowledge of your burgman and in some cases will know more then most of the so called techs who work on them. These guys in general don't see enough Burgmans to become proficient with them as they are with the other motorcycle types. In my area there are tons of motorcycle shops and only one or two that I would take mine to if it needed extensive work done on it. In the seven years I have owned mine it has been to the shop only twice to have a tire put on because I did not have the tools required to do the tires correctly.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just got mine done today, it was $320.00 for the service, plus another $80.00 tire labor. total $420.00 had to put on a brand new tire screw in tread, the damage tire only had 2000.00 miles on it. They did replace the air filter and plugs as well. And yes $800.000 is way to much. When I went get a new tire for the damage one, dealer A,wanted $202.00 and the tire had tons of dirt on it, how long had it been sitting in there store unknown, went to my dealer B as I have been for several yrs, and paid $125.00 out the door. Dealers have different prices, but they should stay near the same as the next dealer, to avoid losing business itself.

·
Registered
74 Posts
When I went get a new tire for the damage one, dealer A,wanted $202.00 and the tire had tons of dirt on it, how long had it been sitting in there store unknown, .
Always check the "born-on" date on the tire sidewall.....cars and bikes both.....tire life is five years, tops......no sense buying one that's three or four years old...or older....all tires have week/year of manufacture as required by the Department of Transportation:
Read the last two digits of the DOT code. The last two digits are the year of manufacture. If the last two digits are 07, for example, the tire was manufactured in 2007.
The two digits before the year indicate the week of the year that the tires were manufactured. There are 52 weeks in a year, so these two digits range from 01 to 52.

TW

·
Registered
735 Posts
Other than the bike itself, the best investment you can make (imho) is to buy a copy of the factory service manual. I have factory service manuals for all my vehicles and the Suzuki is one of the better ones. Combine it with LeDude's excellent web site and you'll be in gearhead heaven.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
if you are a DIYer and have some basic metric tools, you can the service for next to nothing, just the cost of replacement oils.

not much to the 7.5k miles service and it should not take a trained mechanic more that 1 hour to do the entire job.

you can check my Burgman Center if you are inclined to do the job yourself.

The 650 is surprisingly easy to maintain.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
Well, I'm 74 years old and just completed the 7500 mile service on my 650. Just takes a little time, if you can follow instructions it's very easy. Go to LeDude's pages and follow step by step. The total service cost me less than $50.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
....snipped....... Just takes a little time, if you can follow instructions it's very easy. Go to LeDude's pages and follow step by step. The total service cost me less than $50.
Now that is good reason enough to spend some dollars on the few tools you need.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I didasearch and found this thread.. I have my 2012 AN650 in for7500 mile service.. The schedule time per Suzuki is 7.5 hours.. That'e what my dealership charges.. exactly what the manual says.. I saw it.. I usnderstand how it may take less time, but my only point is that this job is scheduled for7.5 hours by Suzuki... so at $80 an hour.. Plusmounting a new reartire.. That's a very expensive visit.. I am interested to see what they actually charge me.. I don't blame the dealer.. I blame Suzuki..

·
Administrator
20,112 Posts
A dealer that quotes FLAT RATE and say's that is what it will be does not get my business. I have mechanic friends that work for flat rate plus % of parts and they make a ton of cash. They cut corners and throw parts at customers cars. I do not have current cirt's but I am a ASE certified gasoline mechanic. I worked at it for two and a half years when the phone company offered me a job paying $5 more per hour. I could beat flat rate on a Mustang Turbo 4 cylinder head R&R, did over 20 of them.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I dug out the receipt for my '06 and it was $291.00 back in '06 when I had it done @ the dealer I bought it from. It was a tune up with new plugs & oil change & a few other check this & that. I use to patronize this dealer faithfully until they really gouged me on a simple tire repair.I'm now on my 3rd dealership & still not 100% happy. It's not the easiest machine to work on especially if your a rookie. Best of luck but I wouldn't patronize the $800 Dealer! Mark

·
Registered
739 Posts
The dealer is the oldest Suzuki dealer in the US.. so I trust them.. lots of stuff to remove to do the work I suppose... The guy at the service desk was questioning the 7.5 hours flat rate..but it is what it is..

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I just had my 48 mo/14500 miles service, which, per the Owner's Manual, is identical to the 7500 with a valve inspection/adjustment added. I had the work done at an LA area Suzuki dealer.

I paid for 5 hours labor ($525) which included full service with valves, inspect stopper bolt (it was fine), fluids, filters, gaskets.

Here are the parts ($109.35): Gasket-cyl head, filter assy eng, drain bolt gasket, air filter, 2 spark plugs, coolant, brake fluid, eng oil, shaft drive oil.

I consider myself handy, curious and a logical problem solver, but lack hands-on experience in working with motorcycles/engines. As this is my long-distance, 2-up ride, I simple didn't have the confidence to do this myself as a learning experience even with the great resources provided by LeDude, et al.

I can see a motorcycle repair class in my future, though.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I started fixing my own motorcycles because I wanted them done properly. I also found that I could pay for my own tools from the money I saved by doing it myself. I know that my motorcycles will take me where I need/want to go because every bolt, every oil change, every valve that needed set was done by me. I can trust myself.

If you want it done right, do it yourself.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I started fixing my own motorcycles because I wanted them done properly. I also found that I could pay for my own tools from the money I saved by doing it myself. I know that my motorcycles will take me where I need/want to go because every bolt, every oil change, every valve that needed set was done by me. I can trust myself.

If you want it done right, do it yourself.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky
I've had over 16 motorcycles and scooters over the last 40+ years. They ranged from cheap beaters to almost new bikes. They ranged from Allstate motor scooters to BMW. I've rebuilt engines, replaced gears in transmissions and everything else that needed attention. I've never had anyone else do anything to my bikes other than have a machine shop bore the cylinder on my Allstate scooter. I don't trust anyone else touching my stuff and I'm a cheapskate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts