Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

750 mile day coming up

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Jeff_MdR 
#1 ·
From Kearney Nebraska to Durango Colorado. I have taken this trip many times in the car, What you think about me taking the Burger 400 instead, It has to be done in one day, So I'm thinking like 5 AM till 10 PM?

#2 ·
you should not have any problems doing 700 miles in one day, it all depends on your fitness level and how used you are to spending 10+ hours in the saddle.

the trick to long distance riding is to pace oneself and take regular rest stops to stretch ones legs and other muscles. drink plenty of fluid to stay hydrated if it gets hot.

I love doing long distance rides on my 650, it's one of the best platforms for swallowing miles comfortably.

enjoy your adventure ....

#3 ·
I will reinforce the DRINK WATER part. Dehydration sneeks up on ya when in the wind. Water and some GatorAde, NO BEER. Beer is for later.

#4 ·
Thanks men, I'll make sure and do the Gatorade along with Walter, I think I can do it I've done some 400 mile days in the sweltering heat of July, Is cooler now across the prairie 90/80 degrees And into the Rockies. I'll be leaving Thursday morning about 5 AM heading across Kansas Into Walsenburg and up over Highway 160 and wolf creek pass! I got new tires and oil too!

#5 ·
Pictures of Wolf Creek Pass please. I have heard it is a wonderful ride.

#6 ·
Wow, I am so envious! I would love to take a long ride like that on my 400, but perhaps not all in a single day. LOL. Anyway, do keep pushing fluids, even if you do not "feel thirsty." I have read many times that the body is already experiencing dehydration by the time you feel the need for a drink. Be safe and enjoy!!! :D

#7 ·
#18 ·
#8 ·
750 miles is what my big trip to the in-laws, ROUND TRIP! lol. I went once just for the fun of the ride and almost turned right around and came home, but I spent the night and rode the 360 back the next day. My tail bone gives out well before the rest of me, I'd love to ride further, but my butt can't handle anymore.

#13 ·
If you don't have an aftermarket seat, I'd sure do an AirHawk.

#17 ·
if you assume 15 mins break every 2 hours (17 hours wallclock) then that's 2 hours of stops - or only 15 hours riding at 50 mph whilst riding
- easily doable on the 400 - just did a similar ride but over 2 days as I started at midday on the first day
The key, imho, will be your tiredness - and as you ride through dusk and into the night at the end of the long day, your alertness will be the other major issue.

Its totally your call - but I would see if you can break it into an overnight stop - stop to take some photo's along the way go the candy butt rider route instead of the Iron butt rider one ! lol The bike isn't the issue its the rider

#19 ·
Good luck to you.

I know 700 miles in one day is not my idea of motorcycling fun. It infers a long day of near 'wot' on a super slab. I would rather do that on four wheels.

I did a tour of Wales recently here in the UK 1300 miles in 6 days - all minor roads and tracks, great scenery, lots of stops to appreciate them - that's my kind of fun.

Have a safe trip.

#20 · (Edited)
I have decided to take the car... I have deadlines to meet, and I am concerned about my ability to pull this off and then turn around on Sunday 2 days later and ride back, And then be at work again Monday morning... It's going to be buzzing like a SAW for a long time at 700 miles, it's not an EZ decision to make, but once I leave I can't turn back if I'm raw from cramp and monkey!... If I had more time to do it more casual I would not hesitate, Thank you all for your support on this thread!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.