Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Kearney Nebraska to Durango Colorado. I have taken this trip many times in the car, What you think about me taking the Burger 400 instead, It has to be done in one day, So I'm thinking like 5 AM till 10 PM?

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
you should not have any problems doing 700 miles in one day, it all depends on your fitness level and how used you are to spending 10+ hours in the saddle.

the trick to long distance riding is to pace oneself and take regular rest stops to stretch ones legs and other muscles. drink plenty of fluid to stay hydrated if it gets hot.

I love doing long distance rides on my 650, it's one of the best platforms for swallowing miles comfortably.

enjoy your adventure ....

·
Administrator
18,336 Posts
I will reinforce the DRINK WATER part. Dehydration sneeks up on ya when in the wind. Water and some GatorAde, NO BEER. Beer is for later.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks men, I'll make sure and do the Gatorade along with Walter, I think I can do it I've done some 400 mile days in the sweltering heat of July, Is cooler now across the prairie 90/80 degrees And into the Rockies. I'll be leaving Thursday morning about 5 AM heading across Kansas Into Walsenburg and up over Highway 160 and wolf creek pass! I got new tires and oil too!

·
Administrator
18,336 Posts
Pictures of Wolf Creek Pass please. I have heard it is a wonderful ride.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Wow, I am so envious! I would love to take a long ride like that on my 400, but perhaps not all in a single day. LOL. Anyway, do keep pushing fluids, even if you do not "feel thirsty." I have read many times that the body is already experiencing dehydration by the time you feel the need for a drink. Be safe and enjoy!!! :D

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
750 miles is what my big trip to the in-laws, ROUND TRIP! lol. I went once just for the fun of the ride and almost turned right around and came home, but I spent the night and rode the 360 back the next day. My tail bone gives out well before the rest of me, I'd love to ride further, but my butt can't handle anymore.

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
About 500 miles is as much as I care to do in one day. However there are folks that have done the SaddleSore 1000 on both the Burgman 400 and the 650.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
It ain't the going, it's the coming back.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
About 500 miles is as much as I care to do in one day. However there are folks that have done the SaddleSore 1000 on both the Burgman 400 and the 650.
I also have a 500 mile limit. Getting old stinks.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
If you don't have an aftermarket seat, I'd sure do an AirHawk.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Good Luck. I just did a 1100 mile day on my 650,every gas stop get off walk around and plenty of fluids. YOU CAN DO IT!

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
if you assume 15 mins break every 2 hours (17 hours wallclock) then that's 2 hours of stops - or only 15 hours riding at 50 mph whilst riding
- easily doable on the 400 - just did a similar ride but over 2 days as I started at midday on the first day
The key, imho, will be your tiredness - and as you ride through dusk and into the night at the end of the long day, your alertness will be the other major issue.

Its totally your call - but I would see if you can break it into an overnight stop - stop to take some photo's along the way go the candy butt rider route instead of the Iron butt rider one ! lol The bike isn't the issue its the rider

·
Registered
240 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Good luck to you.

I know 700 miles in one day is not my idea of motorcycling fun. It infers a long day of near 'wot' on a super slab. I would rather do that on four wheels.

I did a tour of Wales recently here in the UK 1300 miles in 6 days - all minor roads and tracks, great scenery, lots of stops to appreciate them - that's my kind of fun.

Have a safe trip.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I have decided to take the car... I have deadlines to meet, and I am concerned about my ability to pull this off and then turn around on Sunday 2 days later and ride back, And then be at work again Monday morning... It's going to be buzzing like a SAW for a long time at 700 miles, it's not an EZ decision to make, but once I leave I can't turn back if I'm raw from cramp and monkey!... If I had more time to do it more casual I would not hesitate, Thank you all for your support on this thread!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts