Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
It is fine, that's the way it is designed and the engine can take it with no issues--it is not an automobile engine, the crankshaft and connecting rod big end have ball and needle bearings...

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You were probably doing 68 mph actual, 75 indicated. The speedo is off 10%+

A good way to get your actual speed in the bikes top gear ratio is to take the rpm and divide my 100. So 6800 rpm = 68 mph.

And yes, it will gladly cruise at that speed all day long. In fact you can ride at 85 actual If you like. The engine is a very short stroke stout affair and will rev at or close to its limit, but that's pretty fast. I'd back off a bit from top end.

Enjoy. It's a great little touring machine. My 07 has 45k and runs as good as the day I bought her new. And i have really run her hard at times. You don't need to be shy. She's a runner no matter what you throw at her, save a semi or SUV of course. :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
I ride in town all-day with automatic-power combination, when you let off the throttle, the engine does most the braking on power mode, but a little jerky on deceleration. Sometimes, just come off the power mode and glide smoothly to a stop if traffic permits, gently alternating the brakes. Then, back to power mode when the light goes green. For entering the freeway, I go manual, closely monitoring the RPM, and get to 85 as soon as I can, sometimes cruise at 90 if the traffic is with me. But, mostly hover at the sweet spot, 80-85....all....day....long.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I ride in town all-day with automatic-power combination, when you let off the throttle, the engine does most the braking on power mode, but a little jerky on deceleration. Sometimes, just come off the power mode and glide smoothly to a stop if traffic permits, gently alternating the brakes. Then, back to power mode when the light goes green. For entering the freeway, I go manual, closely monitoring the RPM, and get to 85 as soon as I can, sometimes cruise at 90 if the traffic is with me. But, mostly hover at the sweet spot, 80-85....all....day....long.
He has a 400.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Oh. Yeah, the 650 a different beast. I ride 7 days a week, 5 commuting days and to the poker room on Sat/Sun. I needed the 650's power for the Interstate.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I ride the interstates whenever I need to...
the 'sweet-spot' on my 400 is 65 MPH...
the fly-birds can go right on around me!
I might push it to 70 MPH if I'm in a time pinch.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Also don't automatically rely on your speedo being 10% fast. They all vary for lots of reasons me and others have posted about previously. Mine was just 4% fast when new and now it's still the same with a new back tyre fitted 2k miles ago. I've yet to test one that is 10% fast, although of course, some will be.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Offhand, mine seems to be.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Also don't automatically rely on your speedo being 10% fast. They all vary for lots of reasons me and others have posted about previously. Mine was just 4% fast when new and now it's still the same with a new back tyre fitted 2k miles ago. I've yet to test one that is 10% fast, although of course, some will be.
That's true, the speedo errors probably vary from bike to bike. But I've read the 10% positive a lot on this board. And both my Burgmans, different years, different models, 10% off, almost exactly. Maybe it's a USA thing. Don't know.

But at least try measuring the speedo against the RPM / 100 trick. That ratio also seems to be accepted by most 400 owners for a stock '07+.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've had numerous makes of tires over the last two years and mine is consistently 5mph off until 70mph(actual) it really 78 on speedo.

Interestingly enough my old Honda Helix and Suzuki GZ250 both using speedo cables on the front wheels are within 1mph accuracy of my GPS. Go Figure LOL

Burgman doesn't bother me though I just know what speed = what on the gauge.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yeah...my car was 8% out in all speed ranges until I put new tyres on her. Now she's only 1% out at all speeds but that of course changes as the tyres wear. Folks forget that. Worst my bike has been is 6% out, even with worn rear tyre. I have an early Burgman 400 that I look after for someone which is around 8% out at all speeds. Just be wary that you know your bike speedo error because if you run it assuming it's 10% out and you ride at 72mph in a 65 limit you may get a speeding ticket. But if you stick with the figure it shows on the speedo you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I would be wary of using RPM to judge speed the way you can with gears.

Remember that the belt will wear over time and the belt dimensions are critical to the function of the CVT "gearing". Wear changes the speed/engine rpm relationship.
I've seen 20% scrubbed off the speed at max revs of a CVT because of a worn belt (not a Burgman)
Even without wear the rpm/mph relationship is fairly elastic.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I'll have to note my RPM at that speed, with the Dr Pulley 19g I think the revs are much lower.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts