Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just got back yesterday at 5 pm,Mon. Left at 6am from Novi MI on friday and drove straight through ohio and pennsylvania to arlington va to meet up with my son and his girl friend. Got there about 4:30 pm after fighting the horrible traffic going into the dc area. The 400 ran fine and got about 50 mpg, give or take a little, at 70 to 75 mph. Only stops were for a quick bite to eat and gas. On sat morn we made a side trip into plum point maryland to see my sons new house being built and then headed to danville va to catch the ama superbike races being run on sunday. We arrived at danville about 5pm, the ride took longer then we had planned cause of traffic in maryland. Had reservations at a nice motel there so that was welcome since I was starting to get a little weary. Got up early on sunday, beautiful day I might add, had breakfast and we headed to the race track. VIR is a beautiful race track and very well run. Bikes have there own parking place there and its right up front and all paved, not sure of the number there but it was alot with every make and model you could think of including a few scooters, the son said he saw a burgman650 and I saw a reflex. Even though honda won both races it was Mat Maladin who wrapped up the championship for suzuki for the 5th time setting a new record. The last superbike race ended at 3:30 pm so we packed up and took off cause we both had to be home for work, my son and girlfriend on monday and me on tuesday. They took off for arlington while I went north on highway 29 out of danville until I came to a little town called amhurst where I started west on hwy 60 through the mountains into west virginia. this road was a real joy to ride with many curves and up and down for at least 20 to 30 miles until almost to hwy 81. It was getting dark now and much cooler so I had to get serious about making time cause I wanted to get as close to charleston west virginia as possible before stopping for the night. I only made it to beckley by 9:00 pm before giving in to the cold and getting a room for the nite, although that wasn't too bad cause I was only about 60 some miles from charleston. Got started about 8:30 mon morning and started heading north on hwy 77 through west va and into ohio again up to I-80 west and back home again where I finally slept in my own bed again. All told I racked up over 1600 miles and the burgman 400 ran like a top, most of my speeds were about 70 to 75 on the freeways and i averaged about 50 mpg at those speeds. Everything I needed was either under the seat or in the givi top box. used very little oil,about .5 qt, and most of that I think gets blown into the airbox at highway speeds. Thats my story and I'm sticking with it so just because you don't own a big touring bike it doesn't mean you can't go anywhere far away and myself I kinda like the challange of using something smaller. Later, Tom.
P.S. I want to see more Burgmans on the hwy next time.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Good trip report Tom! I enjoyed reading it.

We frequently do get questions from potential buyers about whether a 400 can handle constant highway speeds, climb hills, etc. This should be required reading for anyone wavering on a decision about purchasing a Burgman 400. A good practical demonstration that it is a very capable machine for one-up touring.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Travel on. I'm with you about the nice hotel thing. Moto-touring is physically and mentally taxing, especially the kind of miles you racked up. A good place to stay, and good food, get me recharged for the next day.

I wanted so badly to head up to VIR from Raleigh, NC with my buddies this weekend, but family obligations thwarted me. It would have been a far shorter trip for me than for you. I went to those races couple years ago, and have ridden up that way subsequently, just because the roads are fun. I understand that the races were great, especially for Mr. Duhamel.

And then you go on with 20-30 miles of twisties in West Virginia, too fine!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Great trip report Tom :!: That certainly answers the question if can the 400 be used for touring. I didn't doubt in my mind that it could. But it is nice to have an example to point to if anyone askes. Thanks for posting the trip report.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Great post, Tom, I enjoyed it. The thought did cross my mind that it would be difficult for me to do a multi-state ride similiar to yours. From my central Texas location, the nearest state line is 400 miles away. Guess I could try a multi-county ride. :eek:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for that road report. Im considering the 400 but am a little apprehensive about its higher speed "70-75" cruising potential. Your ride gives me confidence that it can handle it. How many pounds of gear would you say you had packed away on the Bergie. And was there any weak points that came out during this trip. Thanks again.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Great travel story.

As a 400 owner, I was very happy to read about your varied trip. Makes me want to stop thinking about upgrading to a 650.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
7-states

Hi G, In reply to your question, I didn't weigh anything but took 3 of all clothing. 3 jeans, sweatshirts,tshirts, etc plus a toolroll that weighed about 5 or 6 lbs, extra faceshield,shop manual and stop and go tire repair kit plus some co2 and canned air for inflating tires if needed. Kinda like trying to figure out what could go wrong and pack accordingly. Everything was pretty full both under the seat and the top box. If your bike is maintained as per shop manual recommendations you should have no problems going all day at these speeds. Alot of my driving is on the freeway going back and forth to work and its never been a issue. I do all the maintence myself and find its pretty easy except for getting all the stuff out of the way to get at the valves. Hope that helps you out.
Tom P.S. The 7th state was N.C. which you have to dip into for a mile or so to get to the racetrack.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts