Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my '12 650 exec at the end of last August. I had been looking at used ones but I bought a new one with the 0 down 0 pct special so it was a great deal. I ride it virtually every day. It is my primary means of transportation for work which is, unfortunately, too short at 3 miles on the streets. I ride it to the store, to visit my parents, to church on Sunday (with a suit on), and anywhere else I don't absolutely need a car. I have put almost 3k miles on it since I bought it without a major ride yet.

So, how do I feel about it? Do I like it? HECK YA!!! This has to be the best all around bike I have ever ridden, much less owned. It is absolutely the most comfortable bike I've had hands down. I can ride it everywhere except off road. It's so easy to ride in town, in the mountains, on the freeway, in the parking lot. It takes off fast, goes fast, stops fast, and gets great gas mileage. I have everything I need year round in the bike (cover, chaps, cold weather, tools), and still have room to put in bags of groceries. I can go to the store or run around town without looking like I'm a member of a biker gang. I can get off and on it without burning a leg or pulling a groin muscle. I can wear whatever shoes I want/need to without fear of tearing them up on the shifter. It's awesome!

I ran into a guy a couple days ago that saw it and wanted to know about it. Poor guy...I could see he didn't know what he was getting into when he asked me if I thought about it. Everybody at my church thinks is the coolest thing. I get more comments about it than I ever did with my Honda 1100 ACE cruiser that I spent a lot of time making look good. And that's another thing, I don't do anything to this one. I keep trying to think of things to do to improve it, but I'm having a hard time. There just isn't that much that you can do to improve it other than the simple or standard things (top box, throttle control, cup holder). It has already has storage, aux power, and a great seat. Other than the top box and the back rest plate, there isn't much it needs (except the cup holder). Everything else is just do-dads and thing-a-ma-bobs that I think would be nice to have (because I have to do something...who owns a bike and never works on it right).

So do I think the perfect bike is the perfect bike (even if it's a scooter)? What do you think? ;)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Sounds like you are smitten, and rightly so. There isn't much to complain about with the Burgy, or any maxi scooter for that matter. I also like the ease of use and wide application that the scoot serves, which is why I have 2 Burgy Execs (K3 & K7) as well as a Jetmax and am contemplating buying a used 2012 Burgy Exec with 4500 miles (10000km) in NZ for a substantial saving compared to buying new. Though I have to be honest and say that I am also seriously considering a C650GT, since it has a few extra design concepts that I find very appealing. Single sided swingarm being one, and the CVT design being second. The headlight and integrated LED design plus little design elements, such as the better located and more accessible accessory power plug, which on the Burgy is not well laid out. I understand that the 2013 Burgy has the plug recessed back further in the main glove box compartment. The whole maxi scoot design is just so useful and likely not appreciated by anyone who hasn't ridden/used one to run errands, do some shopping, carry extra gear, ride through bad weather for a day in the saddle. Hell a few of us, went to a first anniversary Harley Davidson dealership party some 400km away in another city in another province (here in mainland China). I would have liked to have ridden my Dragstar 1100 Classic, since it would have fitted well with most of the other bikes that turned out for the event. Problem was that me and my riding companions left on the Friday (party was a Saturday), but the weather forecast was for rain. I decided to take my K7 Burgy, mate took his 2006 TMax, but a diehard companion couldn't bring himself to ride his maxi scoot, instead he took his Dragtar 1100 Custom. It rained almost the entire trip to Suzhou (pronounced Sue-Joe). The two of us on the Maxi's faired quite well, I faired the best with the Burgy Exec with adjustable screen, right attire and handle bar muffs. The mate on his Dragstar Custom was absolutely soaked, actually he was drenched by the time we rode into dodge. I'd like the Japanese scoot manufacturers though to follow the Chinese scoot manufacturers lead with sound systems MP3/FM players, which I have as standard on my Jetmax and had on the CF250T-VIP (Helix clone) too. Having sound systems is a real bonus.

One of the only concepts on my wish list for any manufacturer aside from the use of sound systems as factory standard or options is to design a Maxi scoot with a little more ground clearance, with slightly bigger wheels (17") so that a maxi can be used with better finesse off the bitumen/tarseal etc. Hell if one manufacturer could combine all I luv about my maxi scoots with what I luv about my XT1200Z I'd be at the dealership yesterday.

·
Registered
493 Posts
gburg said:
So do I think the perfect bike is the perfect bike (even if it's a scooter)? What do you think? ;)
In my book, the perfect bike is the one who fit your own personal need(s) and budget.

mine worth every penny.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Congrats to you. I had a 2006 Burgman and loved it better than the many Gold Wings, RE5, Harley, and other Hondas I enjoyed. It was one great machine.
However - My attention span is not what it used to be. I totaled my 650, by running into the back of a stopped vehicle. I am now up and walking again
but have given up biking forever. SOB At 87 my wife says it is time to start slowing down. Congrats again. The Burgman is one wonderful machine.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you really want something to complain about.. especially if you are using your B650 as an everyday bike.. the B650 rattles at certain harmonic vibration points on the rev range. After a time you will find your Burgman rattling in the windscreen and in the dash.

There is something that can be done about it as I have been fixing different rattle points on my B650 the past 2+ years. When you take it on a couple good 600-1000 mi touring runs, the B650 front shield and dash will loosen up.

There are enough tips & tricks that I found on this forum and some I did some specialized work so that my B650 wouldn't rattle. Be prepared to fix the dash and windshield rattle if you like a truly pleasant riding experience. Others on this forum aren't bothered by the rattle on their B650, but as for myself, I've spent some quality time in making sure that different tupperware pieces were securely fastened and would ride quietly at all RPMs :D

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Excellent write up OP. 650 ( I've had two now ) also the best bike I've owned in 45 years of riding.

When you do long trips the medium Clearview shield is much better than the stock in my view ( and better than the Givi ) - 2" wider and 2" taller and what Suzuki should have put on.

Also the Kaoko Throttle control - available in chrome - looks factory and very easy to use.

Simple, works. Wonderful build quality.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/kaoko-th ... -or-chrome

1 - 7 of 7 Posts