Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode my 2007 Sat..no problems
Got on it today and it wont start
dash lights up like Xmas tree
Run switch is on..side stand is up and I moved it several times
grabbed front, back, and both brakes..no joy

whats the easiest way to get to the starter relay..I do have the thick service manual

I am severely disabled and crawling around is difficult
To make matters worse, my dodge ram is not runniing, so I cant even put the bike on my trailer to take it to a shop...wow

what are some things to check first? Battery is original BTW..12 K miles
thanks in advance..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
additional info

There are no check engine lights..the headlights are bright and dim when starter button is pushed..

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am only guessing, but I would have to say it is either a sticking side stand interlock issue, of the battery is just not able to crank any more. Do you have any way to load-test the battery? That should provide some answers. Just because it says it is putting out the right power, does not mean it will pass a load-test, which would result in no-joy on a start.

·
Administrator
18,745 Posts
I take it that it does not even crank over? Does the "CHECK" light up on the dash? Try it with the kill switch in and out and with the sidestand up and down. With the kill switch to run and the sidestand up it should not light the check on the dash.

Where in the world are you Swabbie?If you were close by I pop over and look too.

Oh, is this a standard or an Exec? There have been problems with the wiring on 07 Exec's getting chaffed and shorting out.

·
Registered
122 Posts
To answer some of your questions:

On a 2007, the headlights should go out when you try and start it, not dim. (Problem with the starter switch?)
Starter relay is attached to the battery cover under your seat. it has two large wires going to it, (one from the battery and the other going to the starter), and two small wires going to a plug. This is the relay.

Kim

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Got on it today and it wont start ....

whats the easiest way to get to the starter relay..I do have the thick service manual

I am severely disabled and crawling around is difficult
To make matters worse, my dodge ram is not runniing, so I cant even put the bike on my trailer to take it to a shop...wow

what are some things to check first? Battery is original BTW..12 K miles
thanks in advance..

Your battery is about 7 years old. It could have died. These sealed batteries just
go once they can't hold a charge. Have it load tested at a garage.

You can check this DIY for battery maintenance/replacemet

DIY- Battery Maintenance

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
My first guess would be the battery. Easiest way to eliminate that is to try to jump start it and see what happens. As others have mentioned the battery is under the seat so easy to get to without crawling around.

The starter relay is right on top of the battery so it is also easy to get to. You can short across the post on the relay to see if it will crank that way. If it does then that tells you the battery and starter are good and the problem is somewhere in your starter relay/button circuit.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My buddies 06 650 did just this two weeks ago, original battery. We had just come back to his house from a 30 mile jaunt from a restaurant, and about an hour later went out to start the scoot to run into town and the dash would cycle and as soon as you hit the starter button, the dash would go out. Went to Wally World and got a battery with the same cranking power but 1/4 inch shorter in height, width and depth same measurements as the original and got it running just fine. The battery is a sealed battery as well ( you do have to ass the acid but you it seal up once that's done) cost around $85

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Uh, if you can jumpstart it, then the battery isn't charging, either due to a bad battery (m guess) or a faulty charging system.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
My guess would be battery as well and you got a long run if it's original.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Have you checked the kill switch? It's the big red one on top of the right side handgrip. If it's off, the bike will behave exactly as you described.

·
Administrator
18,745 Posts
Got on it today and it wont start
dash lights up like Xmas tree
Run switch is on..side stand is up and I moved it several times
grabbed front, back, and both brakes..no joy

<<<SNIP>>>
thanks in advance..
He/she says switch is on and stand is up. :)

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
On my '03 I have had the starter brushes gummed up from some grease getting in them. I would put as meter on the battery and watch the voltage as you try to start it. Make sure it doesn't drop below 10.5 volts. If that is fine and playing with the starter switch doesn't work pull the maintainence cover and use a small hammer to tap on the starter while trying to crank it over. If it cranks then you'll either need a new one or rebuild the old one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
update

put a charger on the battery and no change
pulled the ignition fuse and it is good

I have a spare starter that I bought earlier but no relay
should I purchase a relay and then swap it out?

one of my hands is pretty disabled ..is the relay difficult to change if I order one?

Is it easier to take the seat off? and..stupid question..does the seat have to be closed to start the bike?

I put it up on the centerstand and propped the seat up to charge the battery..

PS..I do have a new battery coming ..but I don't think that it is the problem

Thanks again for the advice

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
PPS..so the relay is attached to the battery cover...seems like changing that would be first step since fuse and battery have been eliminated?

I found 31800-10G00 for the starter relay? Am having trouble locating the vendor who I ordered CVT bolts etc from..who is good to do business with?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Yesterday went first ride of 2014, by accident push red kill on/off switch off 2 times, which never do, never notice even do this. If OP have electronic contact cleaner, would start first spray in to & around starter switch button many time and depress to try free dirt in switch if any. Find curious that all light work but not start, not even crank a little tiny bit. Battery on 650 have very easy access and extremely easy to remove, personally would take battery out, take to auto part or battery dealer and have load test, from that point move on to new Yuasa replacement battery if require or after search for other problem on bike.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Honestly I'd do the simple thing of using a test light rather than just throwing parts at it. Clip lead at ground and test end at the starter connection. if you have power there when pushing the button it's the starter. If not move back to the relay and see if your getting power at it from the starter switch.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Honestly I'd do the simple thing of using a test light rather than just throwing parts at it. Clip lead at ground and test end at the starter connection. if you have power there when pushing the button it's the starter. If not move back to the relay and see if your getting power at it from the starter switch.
I agree with MJR. Now is the time to start doing some real troubleshooting. If you are not comfortable with doing this, it might be time to visit a dealer/independent motorcycle shop. That bike is doing you no good just sitting.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dang Field Mice

OK..further investigation reveals that field mice chewed through the 3 wires which attach the kickstand to the wiring harness up above the transmission

I t will be possible to splice the wires but I need to remove the plastic frame cover which is under the maintenance cover to get to the harness

I have an electrician friend who looked at it and said that he can splice the wires .

I have experience removing the tupperware, as the throttle return cable came off of the bellcrank due to misadjustment

I know that tupperware removal is tedious but it must be done

What is the name of that plastic frame and which section of the service manual covers the removal?

Thanks in advance..PS..I ordered a new battery as well..

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
That piece is called the floorboard. Removal is covered in the chassis section of the manual. If I remember right that is section number 7. To remove it you will first have to remove all the front tubberware. I believe the manual also says to remove the rear side panels but you don't have to do that. Just carefully separate the hooks between the floorboards and the side panels where they meet just below the seat. Oh yeah and remember to unhook the CVT fan intake hose where it connects to the filter housing. If you don't the floorboard will not lift up and move forward.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts