Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish I could take the bike to Tenn. and have a hitch installed but being self
employed it is impossible. I removed the rear plastic and see that I can fab up a brace at the two bolts at rear of plastic to go down to hitch. I can't figure out what is the best way to brace vertically. The top shock bolts or something lower. Any ideas guys? I have an old 1 1/4 hitch and was even thinking of cutting out the receiver section and using it on the Burgman for a slide in hitch.:D Pictures would be very helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
On my brace, there are 4 spots of attachment. 2 at the top of the shocks and two that attach where the rear fender attaches to the frame.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Talked to Hitchusa Friday and they no longer chrome their hitch.
$300 is a little steep for me for a powder coated hitch.
I dropped bike off at my shop last night and will finish stripping off tupperware tomorrow.
I will post pictures soon.
Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You should check to make sure that the frame is strong enough to pull a trailer. Burgmans are not and neither are Goldwings or any Harley. Yes, of course a lot of people do it but the official line from Honda, Suzuki, and HD forbid it. Not even the stock HD Triglide has a frame that allows it.

Now, with that kind of warning from the motorcycle manufacturer what do you think a good lawyer would do with a casualty lawsuit from a wreck resulting from you overloading a bike with a trailer?

Not trying to be argumentative or rain on anyone's parade but this is the info that I've been given by dealerships for all of the mentioned bikes.I suspect their stance comes more from liability issues rather than safety.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Yes and my GIVI windshield had a max speed posted for it of 65mph if I remember correctly. Show me one rider who follows that rule?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
As long as the hitch is well made, it should pull a lot of weight. Stopping is an issue all on its own. Here is my trailer after 10 days on the road, buying seat materials. Inside the trailer was a seat, personal crap, and lots of Vinyl. On top of the trailer was more vinyl and a trunk. I picked up a rim as well as you can see from behind my seat. I would say I was pulling about 400 lbs with the trailer coming from Atlanta to Nashville. I was running about 70 most of the way. Averaged about 38mpg.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cary it looks like you had everything packed in there including the kitchen sink. LOL
How wide is your trailer? Did you do the modifications yourself?
Cool little setup ya got there.
Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
515 Posts
You guys should watch Cary maneuver around with that trailer on, it's a hoot.
He stayed with us one night this past summer , we parked his bike and trailer in the garage behind my Lardy and between two cars.
I the morning he just backed up , turned and road off down the driveway :eek:

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
The box is a Kobalt tool box (24x24x48). The trailer is either from Harbor Freight or TSC. I really did not want it when my dad made it for me. Very glad I lost that fight. It has come in so handy. Trailer alone weighs 100lb. I am thinking of a small trailer that can be a tent. hmmmmm

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
hmmm well......

I have been to Alaska and back two times pulling a trailer? Just find a post office every once in a while and ship a load home. :cool:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hitch is finally finished

I finally had time to finish welding up the hitch.
Thanks to all for the replies and hints.
I will upload pictures when I get it bolted on tomorrow.
So do yall think I will have the only Burgman with a slide in hitch?:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
704 Posts
Where?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Nice fabrication, gressl - I like the GPS mount too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts