Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all after owning a 650k3 for a year and loving it I found it nessasary to trade for a 400k5 picked it up on Jan 18 05 and the weather has been cold and wet or cold and snowy so it has taken awhile to get to the 500 mile marke so that I could get it up to 6k rev. I have liked the way the 400 handled better than the 650 from day one but was worried about the power and the speed, or power at speed . It seems that all my fears are unfounded , not only that but it seem that it will make a great touring ride as well , With my needs and expectations It will bee just fine . Part of the reason that I like the 400 so well is that I have always liked smaller bikes anyway and should have gotten a 400 in the first place but I have had a ball with both of them I still love the 650 but like the 400 better. ride safe and enjoy Dewight

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
A couple of members have made the trade down to the 400 from the 650. I think I'll eventually be one trading up to the 650. A lot of that is based on the type of riding I do most of the time which is divided highway / Interstate. Did you trade the 650 in at a dealer? How bad a hit did you take on the trade?

·
Registered
969 Posts
We gets what's best for us - eventually. 8)

Good trade. Once you get some more miles on it, post more comparisons. I too, like the svelte, but the lardy suits me better.

Steve

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bill I traded at Bell Suzuki in Lex Ky. and I traded a damaged 650 afrer repairs I had the bungie hooks , and a givi trunk and mount on it and got 5503 in trade and aftre buying the givie wind shield and mount ( I was able to keep the trunk that was litly scratched) and bungie hooks I payed about 300 bucks differance. Realy good trad for me Ride safe and enjoy Dewight

·
Registered
116 Posts
I too was a little concerned about what type of performance (not racing mind you) the 400's would put out ... I have to admin that I have been pleasantly surprised. I have no doubts that the 650 would be an excellent choice for lots of highway riding especially two up, but I have come to realize that the 400 engine size is quite competent in almost every reasonable riding condition. I do appreciate the better MPG and the bottom line is that the 400 leaves me nothing to complain about. It is more than satisfactory in nearly every condition that I have put it in so far. Now if I could just keep those suped-up Civics off of me I will be just fine :lol:

·
Registered
793 Posts
You mean the Civic with the big tail-pipe and Japanese decals and white wheels? I've seen those guys too!

About MPG, when the gas price-hike hit last winter, I was hoping that States would go back to 55mph so everyone could save money.
Small displacement cyclists would have a better ride too.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Leave it at 70. That way I can wind out the 400 every now and then without getting a ticket for 'careless and wreckless' driving. :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
kc4pbl said:
Hi all after owning a 650k3 for a year and loving it I found it nessasary to trade for a 400k5 picked it up on Jan 18 05 and the weather has been cold and wet or cold and snowy so it has taken awhile to get to the 500 mile marke so that I could get it up to 6k rev. I have liked the way the 400 handled better than the 650 from day one but was worried about the power and the speed, or power at speed . It seems that all my fears are unfounded , not only that but it seem that it will make a great touring ride as well , With my needs and expectations It will bee just fine . Part of the reason that I like the 400 so well is that I have always liked smaller bikes anyway and should have gotten a 400 in the first place but I have had a ball with both of them I still love the 650 but like the 400 better. ride safe and enjoy Dewight
I bought the 400 to start with. But when my wife got into rideing I went the 650. I ride in & out of town,& I love the way my 650 handles . When mine goes to the shop for anything I have to ride my wife's 400. I feel cramped,& I miss the extra power I get from the 650. When out on the road I want to pass someone,I don't like to hang myself out there to long. My 650 corners better & out accelerates the 400. My 650 also sounds more like a motorcycle with that twin engine. However everyone seems to be different. If the 400 is for you. Then by all means go for it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Doug,

I am curious now to what might make the 650 a better handling bike than the 400. Traditionally, a smaller displacement with less weight has at least one advantage ... better handling. Could you elaborate on what characteristics make the 650 better in the handling department? Is it better suspension, brakes, feedback or all of the above? I have read in several threads now that the 650 is better in the twisties, but besides the power, I have yet to understand any details towards what might make the 650 a better handling machine.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
texascycle said:
Doug,

I have yet to understand any details towards what might make the 650 a better handling machine.
The biggest difference between the 400 and the 650 other than displacement is the mounting of the engine. The 400 engine is mounted like traditional scooters which is part of the swingarm assembly. The 650 engine is frame mounted like a conventional motorcycle. I've ridden both and what I noticed on the 400 right away was that as soon as you input throttle the machine has a tendency to pogo or hop up and down. The 650 does not do this. This shows up in the twisty sections as you roll on the throttle at the apex of the corners . In every day riding I'm sure it's not as noticeable. I'm assuming its only when the riding gets more aggressive. When I demo rode the 400 we were not given the oppurtunity to ride aggressive.

Lycheed would probably able to add further as he has small scoots , maxi scoots and motorcycles in his stable.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hit a dog (BOXER) WITH MY 650 i ALSO HAVE TWO PENS IN MY RIGHT SHOULDER AND AFTER 37 YEARS OF GETTING ON AND OFF MOVING FRIEGHT TRAINS i have two bum legs so for that reason the 650 was too wide, and heavey for me pluse when I hit the dog I ended up with a crushed right hand that I did not know if I could ever get full use of again all of witch caused me to get the 400 I still think that the 400 has quicked and lighter handling and if the shock is srt right it wont pogo. bigger is not always better. ride save and enjoy Dewight

·
Registered
56 Posts
650 to 400

Dewight,

Congratulations on the new 400. As a 400 owner who may be aspiring to a 650, I'm always interested in the comparisons/observations made by BurgmanUSA members. I switched from a Kawasaki 500LTD and have been thrilled with the freedom and comfort I feel on the 400.

Burgwoman400 USA

·
Registered
66 Posts
Re: 650 to 400

burgwoman400 said:
Dewight,

Congratulations on the new 400. As a 400 owner who may be aspiring to a 650, I'm always interested in the comparisons/observations made by BurgmanUSA members.
See if you can get a test ride on a 650. I was hooked within minutes of trying one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Re: 650 to 400

Andre said:
burgwoman400 said:
Dewight,

Congratulations on the new 400. As a 400 owner who may be aspiring to a 650, I'm always interested in the comparisons/observations made by BurgmanUSA members.
See if you can get a test ride on a 650. I was hooked within minutes of trying one.
Andre--I'm dying for a test ride or demo on the "lardy"(650) but have been unsucessful in finding one. Have tried dealers in Michigan and Florida.A demo at a Suzuki rally would work. Info anyone?

Burgwoman400 USA

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Congratulations on the 400. I am sure you will enjoy it. Sorry about the accident with the dog. I ran over a cat on my first ride around the block after bring my pre-loved burgman home. Luckily it was just a cat and nothing larger.
I like the 400's linked brakes however I would always consider trading up to the 650 however it's not a good idea for me right now. Maybe in 06.

Hope the weather clears up for you so you can go try it out.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Seminoles 3 must be a cat lover. Sorry about the cat but I am glad you were not hurt pinwheel. I once hit a dog on my Lambretta, not my fault. The dog just could not decide whether to cut in front of me or behind. I kept slowing down as to not hit the dog. The dog finally decided to cut in front of me I hit him and down we both went. Fortunately we both limped off with some bruises, nothing major.

Hopefully you will not hit anything else, better yet, hopefully no one or thing will hit you :)

Evelyn

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
It was not intentional and I am lucky it was a cat and not a big dog or a deer. Happened so quick, there wasn't much I could do.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts