Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I got a chance to have a test ride of a Burgman 650 with zero miles on it. Not very long, abut 6 miles, but enough to get a feel for the bike...

I have two comments about the bike. 1st. W O W. Nice bike.

2nd comment is my impression of the bike. A little background first. I have a Goldwing 1500 trike. I also drive a Kawasaki Vulcan 750, and my wife drives a Suzuki Intruder 800.

The Goldwing trike is a Goldwing trike. Very nice. The Kawasaki 750 is very nice. I really enjoy it's handling, power, etc,ect... The Suzuki is not as nice riding or handling as the Kawasaki in my opinion...

Having riden only motorcycles before you do have to get use to slowing down for stops and practice that technique. Also, I had to make some adjustments for picking my feet up and putting them on the floor boards.. Somewhat different that foot pegs.. And finally, you gotta learn not to try and shift with the left foot. Tried to find the shift lever a few times.

I had no problem pushing the scooter backwards, but pushing forward was a little more difficult, but no more so than my cruiser. I also had no problem going slow speed forward, a little different than a clutch bike but no problem.

Now having said that, neither cruiser can compare to the Burgman... The cruisers are like driving old 4X4 pickup's. The Burgman is like driving a refined sprots car. Head, sholders, arms, and legs above the cruisers... My opinion of course... I've been thinking of going scooter for a while. I always wished for an automatic motorcycle, now after todays ride I wonder why I waited so long. I'm ready to leap... the only thing holding me back is wondering what will be on the market for '06... Should I wait till Sept or Oct to find out or buy one now???

Also, my wife is thinking of a Burgman 400... The dealer has one that needs to be put together, when it is we will test ride that bike and make a decision for one each.

Bill...

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
If your wife rides the 800 then why not make a deal on his and hers 650's?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Legs too short... only has a 26" inseam... The Intruder 800 has a 25.5" seat thats why she bought it in the first place... 650 seat is 29.5" and 524# dry, the 400 is 27.4" and 405# dry. She's just a little 5'2" 120# grandma.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Bill

I still like to take the "old 4X4" out for a ride every now and then, but the Burgman is what I ride, tour, cruise town, and commute with. It gets a good bath and detail for the weekend ride, otherwise it is my work car. I bought it as an alternative to getting a large full dress for touring as I wanted something I would probably be more inclined to run around the neighborhood on. Since I purchased it, I've driven a car to work twice. One of the times it started snowing pretty good here so the Burgman went back in the garage.

I've had more of a problem lately getting on a geared bike than I ever had getting use to the automatic. I pulled up to a stop sign the other day an my daughter's bike, pulled in the clutch, but totally forgot to downshift. Had a break comming up in traffic and cars behind me when I remembered. :oops:

With two burgmans you would have quite a bit of storage already for touring or overnighters without the add-ons.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well,
Ive got around 850 miles on my Burgman AN650K5 and I and the Boss are in love with it, great gas mileage better than the 750 Vulcan I traded in for it. The 650 has so much more storeage space it goes just as fast as the Vulcan and is lot more comfortable for me and her it will carrie 500 lbs so 2 up were not overloading it, Have ordered a windshield that is 5" taller to cut down on wind blasting some and best of all no shifting unless you want to! ITS FUN FUN FUN! :)..............walterb

·
Registered
350 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bill. I'm also a new member. Joined last month when I bought my 05 Burgman 650. I haven't ridden in several years, primarily due to my arthritis, especially in my wrists and knuckles. When I first laid hands on the Burger, it was instant love.
No shifting! Smooth riding! My body thanks me every time I throw a leg over it. I missed the 2 wheel life. More than I realized. The 650 was the answer.
Just wish I could convince the better half to ride with me but she just has never been interested. I'd love to go weekending or take road trips with it, but it's no fun alone.

Buzz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts