Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 04 blue 400 and was impressed with the adjustable single shock design. Why did they put the more traditional double shock on the 650 and do they ride/ feel the same? I have an opportunity to trade my 04/400 for a 03/650.. its got a bit more wear 5500miles to my 2400, and a few cuts and bruises but I'm still tempted... It's just I like the 400 so much I don't know if a trade + $200 is worth the extra insurance, title transfer costs, higher maintenance costs..etc... I know it's a better bike for long distance touring.. but.. but.. but... I've got to decide in the next few days...

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Don't really see the problem .. Either you like what you have or you don't, there both great bikes.
Do you need the extra power (or just like the idea)
Do you go on long trips ( or daydream about them on the way to work)
Do you need the extra costs that you listed, ( or just want bragging rights)

It would be silly to keep the 400 if you need a 650-key word is "need"
It would be silly to keep the 400 if you really want a 650-key word "really"

There will forever be grass on the other side of the fence that looks greener--even when your over there--

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
leaderdog said:
I got a 04 blue 400 and was impressed with the adjustable single shock design. Why did they put the more traditional double shock on the 650 and do they ride/ feel the same? I have an opportunity to trade my 04/400 for a 03/650.. its got a bit more wear 5500miles to my 2400, and a few cuts and bruises but I'm still tempted... It's just I like the 400 so much I don't know if a trade + $200 is worth the extra insurance, title transfer costs, higher maintenance costs..etc... I know it's a better bike for long distance touring.. but.. but.. but... I've got to decide in the next few days...
The two machines are not going to feel and ride the same. The 650 is heavier. The 650 has a frame mounted engine while the 400 has the engine mounted on the swingarm which makes it unsprung weight (the shock has to deal with the weight of the engine on the 400). Some say that the 400 has a plusher ride. The 650 design promotes better handling. There are at least two replacement options for the shocks on the 650 if you don't like them. The OEM 650 shocks aren't bad, but I felt they were underdamped so I replaced them with Icons. There is also a set of air shocks made in France. These are somewhat expensive options, but certainly less expensive than trading the machine if you don't like the stock suspension. I do not know of any aftermarket shock alternatives for the 400. The other difference of radial tires on the 650 vs bias ply tires on the 400. I found that switching from the stock Bridgestone radials on the 650 to Pirelli tires brought a significant improvement in ride quality.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
The ride on the 650 is better for me riding 2-up. I had a 400, and traded it after 3,000 miles mainly for the ride. Also handles crosswinds better, and the tires are bigger, which also helps smooth out the bumps. Miles shouldn't be an issue.
Go with what your comfortable with, you don't want buyers remorse when you done.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Two-Up Touring = AN650

My opinion for touring is if you believe that you'll always do it one-up, then the benefit of the 650 is probably negated by the benefits you mentioned of the 400, better fuel economy, cheaper insurance, and so on. However, if you think that two-up touring is in your future, then you really should consider the deal before you. The extra power, storage space, and load capacity of the AN650 may make a big difference to you.

It does for me and my wife.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great Feed back... I was out on the ole burg the first time this season. I think I've made up my mind... I'm sticking with the 400... I've got what I need .... Great web site.. thanks all....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts