Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some searching for information on alternative screen configurations, but I've found that most folks are looking to keep wind away from them.

I think I'd like to go a different route, and find a shorter screen, that will allow clean, quiet air to go ahead and make it to me, preferably cutting off around my chest. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam, and I find the stock windscreen abominable. The buffeting and noise are nearly intolerable. It strikes me right around my forehead.

I can't seem to find any such screen actually listed anywhere. I know some folks have cut down their screens. I'm a bit hesitant to do that. Has anyone gone considerably shorter with a custom maker?

Greg

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Greg,

Bikinbiddy bought a shorter shield for the Burgman 400 from Gustafsson and was pleased with it. I myself wouldn't buy one from him because of his horrible customer service history with other forum members.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greg as you mentioned there are alot of people out there that have switched to larger screens. Sounds to me like you could pick up a used screen cheap for experimenting. Ask in the classifieds and see what you get.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Greg.

Before you do anything why not remove your shield for a few days and see if you really like it, if you do, get a used shield and cut it (or have it cut) down .
The trouble with sport shields is they concentrate a lot of wind flow to low on the body, but some riders like that.
If you are looking for piece and quite behind the shield then you may have to go bigger give up some gas mileage and maybe even look through the shield .

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Randy said:
Greg.
Before you do anything why not remove your shield for a few days and see if you really like it, if you do, get a used shield and cut it (or have it cut) down .
The trouble with sport shields is they concentrate a lot of wind flow to low on the body, but some riders like that.
I might try that. I'd like a little of the wind blocked. I don't want all of the wind blocked.

If you are looking for piece and quite behind the shield then you may have to go bigger give up some gas mileage and maybe even look through the shield .
Not looking for peace and quiet, really, just smooth air. Basically, I'd like to find something that keeps my helmet in a smooth flow, something akin to my other (Sprint ST) and previous (K1200RS) bikes. Unfortunately, it can't be quite as much, as that air helps in supporting body weight, too, and without a forward lean, that could really suck.

I could live without the wind, I suppose, if the buffeting wasn't so bad. I've got a Laminar Lip coming, so we'll see how that goes.

Now, it could be said that with only a little over 250 miles on the bike, I just need to settle in and get used to it. But it's not like it's just discomfort; on the highways, it's literally rattling my helmet.

I might even see if I can't craft and shape a little "flyscreen" on my own. For the size and shape I'm looking for, that might not be too difficult.

Greg

·
Registered
719 Posts
I took a stock screen to the glass shop and had them cut it down four inches. That was not enough for the clear air concept to work. The buffetting was worse. This summer, when it warms up a bit, I'm going to have another four inches cut off. For reference, I'm 5'-10".

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
You can also change the angle of the front screen by shimming the top or bottom mounts. I have the top mounts shimmed out about 1/4" on mine, and it raised air flow by a couple of inches. Logically, if you shimmed the bottom mounts instead, it should drop the air flow by a similar amount. I used hose washers. One behind the mounting bracket on each side, and another between the mounting bracket and windscreen on each side.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
One point to keep in mind is that cutting the windshield down can very quickly give you just what you don't want. Ideally a shield should be around 1 to 4 inches below level eye sight and the wind should just touch the top of your helmets vents as it clears your head.
The trouble is very few people are the right height with the right height windshield, but if you go through the trouble of cutting down a shield a little at a time and try it each time the result is a clear flow with no turbulence.
Just a guess on my part but I would say 90 % of the problem is the windshield is to short to start with on almost all bikes (not counting some touring bikes), and not wide enough either. That is one reason most riders are happy with after market shields, there bigger and wider--but not near as good as they could be with a little trimming-- but at least when you buy them they are bigger then most riders need . :)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Greg,

There's a stock 650 windshield currently on eBay with a starting price of $50 and no bids if you want to play with cutting down a screen.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
billmeek said:
There's a stock 650 windshield currently on eBay with a starting price of $50 and no bids if you want to play with cutting down a screen.
Thanks, Bill. Was already on my watch list. :)

Greg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts