Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to take off a few days and the choice was either my Goldwing F6B or my Burgman K-9 Exec.

600mi round trip is short so I decide to take my K-9 Exec. The first leg of 300mi from LA to LV was relaxing -stuck in some traffic, windy going up I-15 in some places, but averaging 70-75mph. Just as I expected, a nice relaxing trip for a K-9 Exec, a mid-size tourer.

Coming back to LA was a completely different story :whax:. Cages traveling at 80-85+mph and truck going 35-55+mph up the first stretch to the 4000(feet above sea level). The Burgman was flawless as I did want to get stuck where trucks are backed up and trying to pass the heavier loaded 18 wheelers competing with other 18 wheelers.

I filled for gas at Baker, less than 100mi from L.A. and now the cars are going an average 90+mph and trucks 75-85mph. I'm trying to stay within the 70mph speed limit for a nice relaxing ride back, but those trucks are still doing high speed passes so staying out of the trucker's lane.

I know about the 10% speedometer error... so just trying to keep up with the cars, I'm going at an indicated 95-105+mph. This does not slow up until I get to Highway 215 toward Pasadena. So roughly cruising at 85-105mph for 200miles of this 300mile trip from LV to LA. I kept my Burgman in manual OverDrive the entire 200miles except for gas stops every 100mi. I had no problems keeping up with a Harley(no windshield) cruising at 100+mph.

Most of the time I use my B650 for commuting on city streets and freeway. I've toured before on my B650, but this is the first time I experienced such high speeds from cars and trucks. Even when I slowed down for the inspection station coming back a car was 'honking' his horn. I wasn't sure why he was doing this.. fact being there was no one in the inspection station where cars/trucks/motorcycles are flagged for inspection or waved on to continue riding.

Having owned 2 Hayabusa in the past... 150+mph feels like you're going 35mph as you pass cars and trucks like there going 50mph ;). I'm leaving my Goldwing F6B out of the picture to focus on my Burgman as this was what I was riding.

I managed to get back to LA safely and the Burgman 650 is running great with 11,500+mi on the odometer. My Burgman was running about 5000+ rpm at an indicated 85-90mph and 6000+ rpm at an indicated 100+mph. Once I got pass an indicated 105 mph, I stopped looking at my front dash and focused on the road with a good amount of traffic of both cars and trucks.

Is there anyone who has more miles than myself regarding long term use of the Burgman 650 in high speed touring? :confused: If so, how does the Burgman hold out long term without rebuilding the way Buffalo, LeDude and others who wrench their own B650?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
In those conditions, I would want something that goes as quickly from 80 MPH to 110 as it does from 50 to 80.

With wind blowing 25 MPH or more, my 650 with the tall Giwi screen is almost out of breath doing 80 MPH (true, GPS-verified speed, indicated speed at least 90 MPH)
Fuel economy goes to **** at those speeds as well.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I haven't ridden that fast at a sustained speed for long distance but I have ridden 80-85 on a trip recently with a Gold Wing group without issue. I'm amazed at how well the bike runs at higher speeds. It feels comparable to my old 95 GL 1500. And my Burgman has 94k on her.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I've run 140-155 kph for extended runs on both my 2005 and 2009
Heat gauge never moves.
Tires get hot - the rear in particular - I use a real time gauge.

The one thing I have noticed and my 2005 did the same thing - after a sustained high speed run the oil level is down.

Apparently it migrates out. There have been a couple of posts regarding it.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I guess it all depends on what you call long term use. I had 84,000 miles on mine before I had to do anything other than normal routine maintenance to the drive train. Only about 1/4 of that would be high speed Interstate type touring though. Most of the rest was back roads in the 50 to 65 mph range.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I do have 26K on my '03 (spline bearing failure somewhat common in this year) and about 23K on my '09 (I've had no problems with to date). Both have been used for commuting to from work for a short distance (10-12 miles one way) at high speed (75-100 plus). The '09 a year and half ago I took to Moab and back about 700 miles one way at moderate high speed (70-80). It ran great even getting a fuel economy best of 59 mpg on one tank. Most manufacturers consider city and stop/go traffic more wearing on a engine than long distance/higher speed travel.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I'll do is check the engine oil level ASAP! So far my Burgman has had no problems with oil level like my former BMW R1200R. Even with commuting City/Highway, I still had to top off as the oil went below the window glass.

There were some high winds that I was able to stay in the truck lane as even the trucks weren't passing each other.

I also had the GL1500 Interstate before I bought my Valkyrie tourer... and the Burgman does feel as smooth as the GL1500 which feels even smoother than my GL1800 F6B or my former Valkyrie 1500. I can't complain about the F6B as it is smooth, but the Burgman feels just a little smoother with less power/torque/weight.

This is where the K9 twin tours much smoother than my former Suzuki M50/800cc or Honda Spirit 750. There is no way that the M50 or Spirit 750 could have maintained speeds of 80+mph. With the K9 having less than 650cc, it is smooth and relatively powerful for a mid-size touring motorcycle. I went from L.A. to San Francisco on my former M50 and handle bar vibration was terrible! I keep searching for a 6th gear. At 75+mph with a windshield, the head wind would make the front end light as power dropped considerably. My Spirit 750 has much lower frequency vibration, but with a windshield 70-75 mph was cruising speed. Much more than 80mph, the Spirit 750 didn't have the power and torque was severely limited.

Even for myself, I'm surprised how smooth my K9 was at higher speed... especially putting it in manual mode and shifting to OD. 70-80+mph was very smooth with all my luggage under the seat compartment.

Thank you for your comments. When people think of the Burgman 650 as a "glorified scooter"... this "glorified scooter" can outrun, out cruise many of it's cruiser counter parts with less displacement. Even when I had my Honda Shadow 1100 Spirit and Shadow 1100 ACE, it still could not keep up with the Burg 650.

So it had me a little worried that this "glorified scooter" might have a shorter lifespan than larger displacement cruiser. Not counting the RR/Ninja/R 600 put out by motorcycle companies with 4 cylinders than can do 130-160 mph.

The Burgman 650 is heavy with only 2 cylinders so I'm not sure if Suzuki was trading in a shorter lifespan while the easy going 750-800cc V-twin cruisers on the market forces the rider to go slower especially if pushing wind with a large windscreen.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I am now too old for those sorts of speed. I just like to bimble along at my Burgman's happiest speed when on the Motorway which is around 60mph give or take. At that speed I can sit back, relax and sing 'The Hills are Alive' whilst doing so. I have never been in that much of a hurry and fail to understand people who are. Still, that's what you'd expect from a BOF like me!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
To someone who started riding in his early 50's and progressed from a Honda Elite 80 to a Burgman 400, then added a Burgman 650, I can't tell you how gratifying it is to hear someone like R1200 (and so many others) - with ownership experience on multiple bikes ranging from heavy tourers to the fastest of sport bikes - rave about the Burgman 650.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
So it had me a little worried that this "glorified scooter" might have a shorter lifespan than larger displacement cruiser. Not counting the RR/Ninja/R 600 put out by motorcycle companies with 4 cylinders than can do 130-160 mph.

The Burgman 650 is heavy with only 2 cylinders so I'm not sure if Suzuki was trading in a shorter lifespan while the easy going 750-800cc V-twin cruisers on the market forces the rider to go slower especially if pushing wind with a large windscreen.
Honestly with a few improvements it really is a perfect bike. I just do not understand why the motorcycle manufacturers don't see that. As far as lifespan let's face it the majority of bikes sold do not end up with lots of mileage, particularly scooters.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hi all
Here in Australia we only wish we can travel at those speeds .The speed limit in Australia is 110kph in every state and mostly 100kph with speed camera behind every bush and unmarked police cars and bikes (here on the gold coast we have an unmarked hayabusa as a cop bike ) .Australia is one of the worlds most governed country especially Queensland

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sounds like a pretty crazy trip. Glad I don't live in either the LA or LV areas. Sounds like she performed well though.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Hi all
Here in Australia we only wish we can travel at those speeds .The speed limit in Australia is 110kph in every state and mostly 100kph with speed camera behind every bush and unmarked police cars and bikes (here on the gold coast we have an unmarked hayabusa as a cop bike ) .Australia is one of the worlds most governed country especially Queensland
I still remember when here in the USA our National Speed Limit was 55mph (88kph). What a pain in the buttocks that was. It seemed like it took forever one time when I was driving from California to Springfield, Missouri some 1,600 miles (almost 2575 kilometers). I thought I was going to die from boredom across Texas and Oklahoma at 55mph with nothing to see from the interstate but flat, dry land.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yep - best all around bike I've owned in 45 years of riding.
Continually surprises me with it's capability.

The ST1100 was the closest I've owned - same or less storage

40-50 lbl more weight
...about the same gas mileage, 100 hp but it only really shows at the very top end, bigger tank ( nice feature ).

Brakes not as good by any stretch, handling no where near the Burgman in the twists.

Much more heat off the engine and they are top heavy in town and general handling.

Acceleration to 120 kph about the same.

That's Bruce's white 650 ( I have the same at home in Canada ) and my now sold ST1100.

The motor was smooth out this world and would go 400,000 km which I would not expect to see from a Burgman 650.

Which bike do I prefer??? The 650 Exec by far.

the only real advantage the ST1100 had was at 150 kph it was not anywhere near top end and the touring screen bubble is the quietest I've ever been in.

But the places to ride at those speeds are few and far between....even 130 is a serious fine risk here in Australia.

The Burgman 650 is far more capable in the twists than most riders including me will push it to ( BikerSmurf will - see below ) and the guy riding the VFR800 in this review could not lose the 650 in the Canadian rockies twisties )

http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2006/10/04/scoot-touring-the-honda-silverwing-and-suzuki-burgman/

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/12-general-discussion/70658-high-praise-650-burgman.html

BTW - you think you have boring stretches...

Queensland is 668,196 sq mi versus Texas at 268,580 sq mi

but then it has the Gillies, Kuranda Range Road, the Rex and the Palmerston just in my area.

The Gillies is 200 turns in 19 km some full 180 sweeps. You don't get to high speed on those either.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Thats what i really appreciate the big Burgie for, and the 2 cyl plant provides better low and mid range torque, which is more important than top end for such a machine. Adding third pot imho would make sense only after 750 cc. I remember cruising two-up at constant 87 indicated for 130 miles with no complains from the bike.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Last summer I rode my 2012 650 down I 95 from Boston area to New Haven.. Hgwy speeds all the way.. Per GPS log, top speed was 89 MPH.. (actual) average was 74 MPH.. zero issues.. It was in the rain too..

·
Registered
426 Posts
There's no need to switch to manual mode to access the OD. Once the scoot is up to 100km/h+ and the revs are held at a constant set of revolutions then the scoot does move into OD all by itself. This has been discussed in other threads... but an easy way to check... ride the scoot at 105km/h and hold the revs constant and look at the RPM's in auto mode... then selecting manual mode watch the RPM's increase ~500RPM, and listen to the engine sound for the slight increase in RPM's over that of what was going on in auto mode. Select OD manually all in quick succession and one can both see and hear the RPM's decrease to the corresponding levels prior to the manual mode selection...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi all
AFAIK, except the NT, which have a true open road speed although police do have discretionary powers to still fine if the officer feels the speed was dangerous/reckless etc.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Yep - best all around bike I've owned in 45 years of riding.
Continually surprises me with it's capability.

The ST1100 was the closest I've owned - same or less storage

Which bike do I prefer??? The 650 Exec by far.
Good synopsis MacDoc,

It's been 15 years since I rode my ST1100. I never really felt comfortable on it. The B650 blows it away in that regard and the twisties as well. I know its not that much lighter, but the weight distribution sure feels like the Burg is 100 lbs more svelt. And so much easier to throw around the corners.

Okay, it's not as fast as the ST, but its equally as quick. A well tranny-managed 650 can easily keep up with the big boys. I prove it regularly with the MC groups I ride with. Except for doing mind-blinding speeds well in excess of the prevailing laws, I see no advantage to these behemoths.

I see my MC riding compatriots slouched over track bikes or struggling to move 700+ lbs tourers about every week whilst I'm comfortably reclined on my burg, keeping up with them at ever turn. And when we stop, I pull out a cold drink and chilled fruit from the cooler in my trunk and they've barely room for a bag of nuts. Oh and that's not to mention the compressed air, tire patch kit, radios, full first aid kit, handwarmers, blood clotting bandages, two gps, etc,etc, I also bring in case of emergency for the group.

I just don't get it...

But to each their own. Thanks for reminding me why I love this bike so much.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not sure if this is even relevant, but rode from Akron to Belton Texas (1500 miles) at 70 to 80 most of the way.... got stopped by statie in Tenn for doing 112 in an 80 zone. No problems.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts