Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what's the verdict? What difference does the overdrive make? I noticed PhilW saw 3800 rpm's at 60 (indicated) so I took my 650 out for a test to compare. My '04 shows 3800 at an indicated 60 so how does the OD work. At what RPM's does it actually have an effect?

Tim

·
Registered
689 Posts
Here is a post from Suzuki_Burgman group from Yahoo.

I tried out the OD feature today and here’s what I found; I was cruising in auto mode at an indicated 60 mph, then switched to manual mode which immediately lit up the “5” on the dash. I pushed the UP button, and the “5” light went out and the OD light came on. The RPM dropped approximately 500 rpm to 3500 rpm at 60 mph. Selecting AUTO mode again, put the “D” light back on, and the rpm once again came up to the 4,000 rpm level.

Mike
Spring Hill, KS

And this was my reply

This sounds strange that Suzuki would make over drive only work in manual mode, that does not make any since you have to switch to manual mode each time you want to use the OD. I would have guessed that even in auto mode it would switch itself into OD when it reach the right speed.

Burg650

·
Registered
761 Posts
I find it amazing that very few has tested this out yet thoroughly.

Seems that this post from the yahoo group is pretty solid evidence.

I can sort of see the reasoning behind the manual OD mode. I would like a test to determine the performance while in the OD mode. If it makes the bike a bit more sluggish while in the upper speed brackets, then having an active on/off switch for OD makes sense.

If you are experiencing a city commute where you are constantly up and down on the speeds relative to highway driving, having OD in auto mode would switch it back and forth alot adding wear to the CVT system. Once you get out of the city and you can lay back a bit and you don't expect the need to get some performance passing in, then you can select to engage the OD drive for a pleasant cruise.

Not fully agreeing with this, but expressing a hypothetical.

·
Registered
1 Posts
650 Overdrive

According to Suzuki's Announcement, AN650A will have following features in 2005:
1. New color. (YBA)
2. Electrical height adjustable wind screen is equipped to further increase riding comfort. Adjustable stroke is 95mm.
3. Transponder type immobilizer has been added to European specifications as a standard equipment to increase security.
4. Three functions are added in the meter cluster; thermometer, fuel consumption display and immobilizer indicator (only for European specifications).
5. The color of front turn signal lenses is changed to clear.
6. Over drive range is added in the manual mode.
7. Clutch friction has been reduced by 30kg for easier operation.
8. Newly designed front box lids are used for easier operation.

As you may see from the p.6, OD will work in manual mode only.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Re: 650 Overdrive

Nixxon said:
According to Suzuki's Announcement, AN650A will have following features in 2005:
I wonder what effect this will have on engine braking ?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I can't say I would be thrilled with having to switch to manual mode everytime I wanted the OD to work... but I supposed they did that because they didn't want to write a new program to include the workings of OD in auto mode. At any rate, having it work that way is a deal breaker for me when considering a trade up.

WLB :)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Even if OD only works in Manual mode, I wish I had it. The main place I need it is cruising at 75 to 80 mph on the Interstate when touring. That is when my fuel mileage suffers. Generally I'd be able to put in in OD and leave it there for many miles. If I need more oomph, it's just a matter of pushing one button to switch back to Auto mode - no big deal. It is still the best enhancement to the '05 in my opinion.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Re: 650 Overdrive

Nixxon said:
6. Over drive range is added in the manual mode.
Sounds pretty solid to me.

I still would like to see someone make some research to determine RPM settings for each setting.

I guess changing the clutch friction might prevent some of that kick-in-the-butt feeling some have expressed when letting off the gas suddenly. just a thought.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I wonder if the clutch friction reduction is the demise of the engine braking phenomenon?...

Also, I'm inclined to agree with pauljo... having OD, even under the circumstances, is probably better than not having it at all. At least on long highway cruising it would be beneficial, even if it's not designed as transparently as it could be.

WLB :>)

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
This was posted on the Yahoo Burgman site. The poster said he spoke with an "engineer" at the Suzuki customer service telephone number.
Sounds like there maybe be a true OD. I would still like to see some real world tests to see how much it effects rpms at given speeds.

"The 2005 AN650 goes to a final drive ratio of 0.465 in manual overdrive. IT goes to a final drive ratio of 0.535 in automatic as do all previous AN 650s."

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I was talking to a friend about the new posting on the OD. We looked at our service manuals and it states the automatic transmission ratio on the 03 and 04 is ".0465", the same number given as the 05 manual mode OD number????

Seems we are back to waiting for the road tests. Any one have a 05 service manual yet? If you do, look up the specs page and see what it states.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I ordered the 2005 manual last week, picked it up Friday, and found it was the 03-04 manual (although it does have a large section for ABS brakes in it at the back.)
Called my dealer, said "what the hell" or words to that effect, and they told me they would look into it and to call them back next Wednesday or so and see if they could get the 2005 manual.

·
Registered
553 Posts
service manual

roy_ryall said:
I was talking to a friend about the new posting on the OD. We looked at our service manuals and it states the automatic transmission ratio on the 03 and 04 is ".0465", the same number given as the 05 manual mode OD number????

Seems we are back to waiting for the road tests. Any one have a 05 service manual yet? If you do, look up the specs page and see what it states.
I not sure why but I don't think you will be able to get a 2005 manual right now.
I ordered a 2005 manual for my 400 and when it came in it was a k3 k4 manual and when I asked why I didn't get a 2005 manual I was told that this is the only manual available from Suzuki at this time. Since it is a k3-k4 I assume that in 2006 the manuals will say k5-k6

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Re: service manual

swstiles said:
I not sure why but I don't think you will be able to get a 2005 manual right now.
I ordered a 2005 manual for my 400 and when it came in it was a k3 k4 manual and when I asked why I didn't get a 2005 manual I was told that this is the only manual available from Suzuki at this time. Since it is a k3-k4 I assume that in 2006 the manuals will say k5-k6
Thanks swstiles.

I suspect you are correct in your assumption. :(
Well, at least I do have the 03-04 manual, and it does have a section on the ABS brakes and the electric folding mirrors.

Nothing about OD though.

I probably won't be doing any service of my own that requires that knowledge. :)

The parts I need to know about haven't changed much anyway since 04.

I have noticed the manual tends to gloss over details, like exactly "How" to remove the plastic etc. It just says remove it, etc!

Fortunately we have this forum for the details. :D

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
650 Overdrive

wrecruiser had this to say after tersting his '05 650:
As for the new 2005 Overdrive Feature - 4000 RPM seems to be the magic rev point. At 60/61 MPH I put it into manual mode, it went into 5th, It was turning 4000RPM, I shifted to overdrive, RPM dropped to 3500, sped up to 4000RPM = 67/68MPH, put it back into normal auto mode, RPM remained at 4000, so the overdrive ratio does seem to be in use in normal auto mode also. With a very easy throttle hand, in normal auto mode, you can maintain 4000RPM all the way from about 60 MPH to 68MPH, thus the determination that overdrive is available in normal auto mode as long as you maintain at least 67 to 68MPH.
For the full story, and further discussion on the overdrive feature, visit the
"Deductions After the First Good Ride" thread ( http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4708 ).

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Dean, wrote "At 70MPH in normal mode it was running about 4100 RPM. I shifted to manual, it went into 5th gear so I shifted it up to OD, the RPMs were the same."

Today I checked the speed vs rpms today on my 03’ 650.

MPH - RPMs(auto) - RPMs - manual
60 - 4,000 - 4,000
65 - 4,200 - 4,500
70 - 4,400 - 4,800
75 - 4,800 - 5,000
80 - 5,000 - 5,200

Note: These numbers where obtained on the interstate highway in my area. There is not a lot of flat sections here to test on.

Maybe some other owners (03, 04, 05) could check their rpms vs mph and post what they get.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I will be using my Burg tomorrow to go to work and will give you my rpms at 60, 65 and 70 mph. Unfortunately a strong wind from almost any direction will cause the CVT to increase rpm's to compensate and therefor it is imperative to compare speeds and rpm's in no wind conditions.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just got my new 650 last thursday and I'm still breaking it in.
I rode it to a conferance yesterday about 90 miles away all on Hwy.
I check my mileage at 45 mpg on the first tank.
I used the OD almost the entire trip and checked milage again at 54mpg.
on the second tank.

Has anyone else checked milage in the OD mode.
would like to know how this compares.

Dan

·
Registered
497 Posts
I also got mine last thursday. I spent most of the week practice riding around the neighborhood. But, today I took it out on the road and used the overdrive extensively but not exclusively. I did not reset the display when I refilled. I watched the average change from 45.3 mpg in the morning to 47.7 by the end of the day, after using the overdrive.
So, it looks like you did pretty well!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts