Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hanging around here for about a month and a 650 is what I think I want to get. A little background...I have NEVER even seen
either one in person. The Suzuki dealor didn't have any in. My wife
and I would eventually like to do so 2 up riding in the future. The 400 has
the passenger back rest, the 650 doesn't. There is a $2000 difference in cost with a sleightly different insurance rate. Our combined weight is 395lbs. Being frugal, if I did get a "Svelte," would I eventually trade it in on a "lardy," as Norman did?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Mike said:
I've been hanging around here for about a month and a 650 is what I think I want to get. A little background...I have NEVER even seen
either one in person. The Suzuki dealor didn't have any in. My wife
and I would eventually like to do so 2 up riding in the future. The 400 has
the passenger back rest, the 650 doesn't. There is a $2000 difference in cost with a sleightly different insurance rate. Our combined weight is 395lbs. Being frugal, if I did get a "Svelte," would I eventually trade it in on a "lardy," as Norman did?
When I was in the same boat, I decided to go with the 650 because I was planning on doing long-distance weekend getaways riding 2-up. If you're going to do long-distance 2-up riding, I'd say go with the 650, otherwise the 400 will be fine for your 395-lb combined weight.

If you think there's a chance you'd get a 400 and eventually upgrade to the 650 then hold off until you can get a 650 rather than take a hit on the 400 in order to trade up.

My two cents.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
If you are going to do 2 up then it is a Lardy you need.
But you have to see one and sit upon it as does your partner before you even think of purchasing. The rear seat is very wide particularly relevant for those who have short legs.
The backrest is a Suzuki option, a Givi accessory or you can stick a backrest on a topbox (givi or other).

My upgrade to a Lardy was not the normal - I need more power - it really was a case of a real good deal that made the unaffordable a possibility.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Mike,

If price isn't too much of an issue to you and you're planning on doing a lot of 2 up riding, I'd go for the 650 and either add the optional backrest or a topbox with a backrest pad. While the 400 is a great machine, you'd probably be better off with the 650 for carrying a passenger. Or another option is to get the 400 and ride it for awhile. Get the wife addicted and give her the 400 then go get yourself a 650 later. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
NormanB, I don't recall seeing much from you about the difference between the 400 and 650 yet or did I just miss your posts?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

Well I can tell you it is blue, looks freaking bigger than a 400, has a cool instrument panel, the headlights are 'always on :cry: when the ignition is made, the heated grips work :) it has awesome storage and I have fitted my first mod (battery tender charging lead).

The engine has a sweet note (at idle).

Other than that - it is blue, lardy and looks nice.

.............and it is killing me not being able to ride!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Mike,

There is no clear right answer. I've seen people trade up from 400 to 650, and a couple people trade down from 650 to 400. The majority of us like the model we decided to buy in the first place. If you are frugal, you might appreciate the higher gas mileage that the 400 will give you. That can be anywhere from 10 to 20 mpg more, depending on riding style, accessories, etc.. I think the best suggestion I read here is that you and your wife go sit on both models together. If that involves driving out of your area, it is well worth doing. For 2-up touring, the 650 has more power, but I have seen couples touring 2-up on 250cc Honda Helix scooters. Takes a bit more patience I am sure... For fast, sporty riding on curvy roads, the 650 is superior - but the 400 is no dog either.
You can't go way wrong here, unless the 650 is physically too big for you to manage, or your wife isn't comfortable on the back of either machine. That is why it is important for you folks to go sit on the scooters.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. southern California hasn't discovered the virtues of maxi-scoots in my next of the woods anyway (we're equadistant between
Bakersfield and Antelope Valley) about 125 miles out of Los Angeles.
We'll have to wait until March (when the 05' 650's come in) to sit on each machine and see which one FEELS right and whispers in our ear to take it home. Appreciate your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts