Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wife wants to ride again,she has arthritis so that said which one?

might as well ask this also,we are gonna buy used,any year better than the others?

first 2 of many questions im sure,thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Riders with physical limitations seem to get along best
with a 400....particularly women. I am aware of at least
3 women that have ended up on a 400 with a trike kit.
I would suggest looking for a 400, & if it proves to be
a handful on 2 wheels, then maybe 2 more wheels
will keep her on the road with the rest of us.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Well I'll be damned: The legendary YellowWolf visiting the Burgman forum.

Whatever you buy for her, I'll look forward of the video of you doing the Tail of the dragon at -an until then- unseen pace on a scooter.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
The 400 is lighter and easier to handle. At over 600 lbs the 650 can be a bit difficult to manhandle around. That being said there are quite a few women that ride and enjoy them. Biggest limiting factor is leg length. The seat is not that much higher than the 400 but it is wide and that makes it seem higher than it is. Best advice is let your wife sit on one and see how well she can get her feet down and push it around.

You might want to look at the 2013 model 650 over the earlier models. Reason is Suzuki made some changes in the clutch to reduce drag when it is disengaged. That makes pushing it around a little easier. The bike does not have a neutral so the disengaged clutch is the only way to allow it to move when not under engine power.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I agree with Buffalo have her sit on each & see which fits her best. If looking for a 400 I would go with a 08 or newer. If a 650 I'd look for a EXC 07 or newer.
Pushing a 650 is harder but if you shift it into manual mode it does push quite a bit easier. ;)

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts
Welcome Yellow Wolf to the Baby Wing site. :twisted: I have never ridden a Burgman 400 so I can not answer questions on them. But I am a Burgman 650 rider and also have major disability that are getting worst with time. I have no problems throwing my Darksided 650 around any of our NorthWet versions of the Dragon. While I know I could never keep up with a certain Yellow Wing and rider, I do hold my own with most of the sport bikes up here. My lower back is bad, nerve damage is going to stop me riding some day. As said, once moving the 650 seems so much easer than my 80 GL1100i.

I am sure one of our local to you Burgman riders would love to allow you to check out both bikes, for a ride on the back of your wing. :D

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
wow = YW your videos sure put down the SS riders :D

Watch your wife on the 650 tho....might be some competition there.

•••

Really depends on her comfort with the low speed weight . Once the 650 is moving it's fine.
Wrestling around in parking lots or driveways can be a handful as it weighs a fair bit for a 650.

Is it her hands that she wants an automatic? I got into the maxi for a similar reason tho I still ride a KR650 and ST1100.

How tall is she??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow = YW your videos sure put down the SS riders :D

Watch your wife on the 650 tho....might be some competition there.

•••

Really depends on her comfort with the low speed weight . Once the 650 is moving it's fine.
Wrestling around in parking lots or driveways can be a handful as it weighs a fair bit for a 650.

Is it her hands that she wants an automatic? I got into the maxi for a similar reason tho I still ride a KR650 and ST1100.

How tall is she??
yup her wrists,5"7" and rode bikes 10 yrs ago,,,,gonna do a c/b,cruise control,maybe a thumb throttle

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
At 5'7" she wouldn't be able to have both feet on the ground sitting on a 650.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Seat can be redone but I still don't think she would be able to flat foot it. Takes about a 31-32" inseam to flat foot a 650 sitting on the stock seat.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I'm not going sit on the fence here, get the 400. Unless she wants to ride someone two-up consistently, the 400 is the way to go. It's lighter, cheaper, lower seat height, easier to maneuver and mount, can handle a single passenger of 250 pounds +, cheaper insurance, etc., etc. Given her arthritis, it would be the easier machine to move comfortably.

The 400 was the only bike I had for seven years and it did everything I needed just fine. I got the 650 because it was a great deal and to save miles on the 400 (but i love the 650 now too).

Recommend '08 up. I have an '07 and there were a few issues Suzuki ironed out.

Then again, I saw your video, if she wants any chance of keeping up with you, perhaps a CBR is in order. Lol.

Good luck. Let us know what you get.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Seat can be redone but I still don't think she would be able to flat foot it. Takes about a 31-32" inseam to flat foot a 650 sitting on the stock seat.
I have a 29 inch inseam and I can just about flatfoot it. It certainly not uncomfortable or unmanageable. But I do keep the suspension on its softest setting.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
On the 650 there is not a lot of room to lower the seat through removing padding but it can be lowered a little. You can also narrow it some which is just about as effective as far as making the reach to the ground easier. Still at 5'7" unless she has exceptionally long legs for her height she is going to find it a stretch to get both feet on the ground.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have had a 08 400 and now have a 09 650. I'm an old codger with a 29" inseam. The 400 is far better for those of us with short inseams and modest strength. The seat is much lower, it pushes around far easier and is much more "flickable". I can't flatfoot the 650 because the seat is higher and wider. I have a friend who took out all of the padding he could from his 650 and it is still higher and wider than the 400. The 650 is a good motorcycle and the 400 is an excellent scooter.

When my 400 was totaled, I intended on getting another 400 but the 650 was the best bike at the best price when I needed it. The 400 is a better choice for someone who hasn't ridden in a while or someone new to riding.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
If she is interested in the 650, look at the 2013s, they have a narrower seat and the floorboards are different. It makes them a little easier to put your feet on the ground.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
seeing we are gonna buy older than that I guess its a 400,plenty for where she will be riding,thanks

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts
On the 650 there is not a lot of room to lower the seat through removing padding but it can be lowered a little. You can also narrow it some which is just about as effective as far as making the reach to the ground easier. Still at 5'7" unless she has exceptionally long legs for her height she is going to find it a stretch to get both feet on the ground.
I am 4 foot 19 inches (5'-7") with a 30 " inseam. I can not flat foot my Burgman and to compound it I put a taller Car tire on the rear. I do weigh in at 210 Pounds. My Gl1100i has a King/Queen seat and is a bit lower but it also is over 750 pounds.

The nerve damage is killing my right thigh muscle, like Dr House. I also have nerve damage in my sholders and can not pull in a clutch while commuting in stop and go traffic.

But yes the 400 would be an easier ride for me but I want a twin cylinder.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
As an average rider with a 29 inch inseam, I was barely able to flat foot the 650. The seat can be cut down about 1/2 inch or so in the rear part of the drivers seat. Whilst I prefer the 650, the 400 is very well respected around here. The first 3 versions of the 400 each increased the seat height slightly. The 03-06 - 27in, 07-08 - 27 1/2in, 09-12 - 28in. I am not sure of the 2013 model.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
WOW Yellow Wolf, many great video, legendary even here in Canada. Really like Motorman video where Yellow Wolf ride the Dragon.

If purchase 400 locate 2007 to 2013 model. 2007 was redesign year for 400.

New 2013 Burgie 650 easier to flat foot than previous 2003 - 2012 because of redesign of leg drop down opening.

Would also check on LegUp Landing Gear for Burgman 650 & 400

http://www.landingear.com/burgman4.php

Can not wait to see video of YW wife riding the Dragon and other on Burgie.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts