Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to: Check oil..do I have to dismantle the bike each time I just want to check level?? Same for coolant level..again how much do I have to remove from the bike...I'm waiting for the '05 mods before making up my mind..both wife and myself sold on the 650 and silver it will be unless something more to our liking shows up in the newer mod..
I've been told that riders love the Burg and mechanics hate it..almost every function save riding means something has to be taken off the bike..I mean the STM..any info would be greatly appreciated..not that it would change my mine about buying ..I just want to see it coming..Thanks

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums. Glad to have you join us.

I don't own a 650, but remember reference to an engine oil level inspection window on the left side of the engine. I'm sure one of or 650 riders will jump in and answer your questions for you.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
There is a sight window for checking oil level on the 650. Only problem is that you really have to kneel down to see it - the sight window is just past the tip of the sidestand when it is retracted.

There is also a sight window for checking coolant. It is behind the front wheel to the side of the radiator. Again, you have to kneel down to see it.

No disassembly required for either check.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Pete and Jeanne

Welcome to the forum :wave:

I expect most of the mechanics are losing money working on Burgmans compared to other bikes because they are new to them and they are having to refer to manuals and drawings which slows them down.

Give it a year and they will be on top of them.

Actually, as long as you have the service manual yourself, taking the tupperware off this thing (and putting it back) is only 'difficult' the first time, after that it is a breeze.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm not very mechanically inclined, but installed my own Givi trunk, and did the 600 mile service myself. The oil and coolant checking is just a matter of getting down to look. There are postings on this forum that shows how to do both, and just about anything else you would like to do yourself. I had to remove several "tupperware" pieces to change the transmission oil, but you don't have to do that every time you change the oil. If you can change the oil on your car, you can do the Burgman. As far as hard to work on, it doesn't appear to be any harder that any other modern sportbike with all the plastic fairing.

You will not be disappointed when you get to ride the Burgman, It's the most fun I've had on a motorcycle since my first Sport 50 back in 1965!

Good luck, and ENJOY!

Dave

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
You need to put the bike on the center stand on a level surface for a proper reading. As others stated, left side twards the bottom, there is a sight glass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts