Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all:
Well, a ford Taurus turned in front of me, and I fear the 400 is dead (22,500 mi). The Geico adjustor will advise me on monday. I must say that the Burgman and the use of proper riding attire, including helmet kept me from going beyond scrapes and bruses. Accident was in Albuquerque residential neighborhood of Taylor Ranch. The driver of the car lives 3 houses from the intersection. Car damage is rt wheel, fender and door. The 400 damages are all over the bike except the tail end. most damage rt front. I am in Albq awaiting police report before heading to Questa, Taos County and getting on the 650. My wife says that I am getting tougher as I age (66 yr on April 5). Stay safe and dress for the fall and not what you look like on the street.
Bueno Bye
Francisco

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Well that's a bummer, I love the 400.

Sounds like you're not too beat up, either physically or mentally about the bike, though. So good for you and the positive attitude.

Last I heard, left turns in front of MCs are the number one type of accident between auto/MC, something like 50%. So you're in good company.

For the benefit of those reading, personally I use that little yellow high beam flasher button on the left grip as I approach an intersection with a car waiting to make a left turn. I hit it once when I'm 300 yards a way, again at 150 and again as I get close to the intersection, perhaps a fourth as I enter. Flashing lights seems to get drivers attention. You just want to be noticed, not obnoxious with the highbeam. Just my little tip. Use if you like.

Francisco, good luck with the adjuster. I hope you can get that 400 replaced real soon.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Do most bike accidents happen in intersections?

If so, here is an idea......

How about a set of front and rear flashing strobe lights timed to activate for, lets say 10 sec. then self deactivate. The idea is to raise conspicuity and visibility of the bike during the time at which it is in the greatest danger. The strobes will have a dedicated button only used before entering high risk intersections.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I actually bought a solar LED light that they use on bicycles for that very purposed this riding season. Something like this

Big button is easy even with gloves.
There are lots to choose from.

It's also a good flashlight
I will likely velcro it on but will see what works. It's very bright

•••

This tho I consider confusing for the driver as any flashed light can be interpreted as a permission to turn.

For the benefit of those reading, personally I use that little yellow high beam flasher button on the left grip as I approach an intersection with a car waiting to make a left turn. I hit it once when I'm 300 yards a way, again at 150 and again as I get close to the intersection, perhaps a fourth as I enter. Flashing lights seems to get drivers attention. You just want to be noticed, not obnoxious with the highbeam. Just my little tip. Use if you like.
I just put the high beams on at point coming up to the turning car and leave them on til I'm past the risk point....I'll add a polite horn beep as well if I think the driver is not paying attention.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I just put the high beams on at point coming up to the turning car and leave them on til I'm past the risk point....I'll add a polite horn beep as well if I think the driver is not paying attention.
Whatever works to get their attention. I used to ride with the highbeam on during the day, but thought flashing might be better. Then I heard in Europe, flashing means go ahead to the other driver. So I split the difference and just do a few long flashes as I approach. Seems to work.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Thank God, Francisco, your OK! those are the Hardest Problems on the Road Today is somebody turning in front of you, One reason why i change my riding habits and Always slow down and let them turn first, But the main thing is to Always Slow down before coming to those Problems. States this in the Book to never speed thru Intersections, And always ride Slow thru them, and as Liamjs, stated i ride with my HID's ON Full Blast at all times.. All so looking to add a much higher Lumen in the 3000 Range in Amber or Yellow!! or RED it really gets their attention on the approach..

Ride Safe ALL

Elliott,

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Sorry about your 400, but glad you are OK! Turned into a tough "old coot" didn't you! (I'll be 65 next week, so I hope get some toughness)
Take care & ride safe.
Wes

·
Registered
207 Posts
Glad to hear you're okay. I'm in my 50's myself so I'm feeling more fragile than ever. I happen to be taking a short break from installing a Kriss headlight modulator in my 650 specifically to reduce the probability of someone doing this to me.

The hardest part, so far, was getting the front cover off without damage. There are some well hidden plastic captured tabs. LeDude, the service manual, and others talk about these tabs but there did not seem any easy way to spread the upper edges to release them. Nothing broke but it was not as simple as I expected.

The rest of the task is just getting the wires tie wrapped out of the way of the swinging forks. I ran the light sensor forward through the left mirror rubber boot.

Keep the shiny side up!

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bike but glad you were not injured significantly.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok - I'm an ATGATT guy myself. I like the idea of a separate flashing light to hit at intersections, but I agree with those who say that flashing your headlights can be interpreted as a "go ahead" to the other driver. It's that way down here in Florida.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Get a headlight modulator. Easy to install, gets noticed (I sure notice a difference in other cars when I turn it off, and forget to turn it back on), unlikely to be misinterpreted, and is legal everywhere in the US (some of the other suggestions may not be legal in some areas).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts