Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I am a recent motorcyclist and recent owner of a 2011 Burgman 650. I have just about zero mechanical skill but I have messed around with airplanes a bit and converted most of the lighting on the plane to LED with great results. So with a bit of excitement I thought I would document what I am doing in case anyone else is interested in doing the same thing. I searched the Burgman site and looked at what others have done and I have watched a few of LeDude's videos. This thread might take awhile but I am excited about it and hope it inspires someone else.

My first part plan is to replace the existing lighting with LEDs (except headlights). It should be pretty easy and straight forward (famous last words). Next part will be to augment the existing light with some forward facing auxiliary lights and some amber side running lights and some rear brake bars. Still researching parts for that.

let the fun begin

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
LED parts list

part list ordered from superbrightleds.com
I used coupon code RE683 to get 5% off

BAU15S-A18-T x4 these are the amber lights for the front and back turn signals
1157-R45-T x2 these are the red lights for the brakes
LF1-S-Flat x1 this is the thing to make the turn signals work right
3022-CWHP4 x1 this is the light for inside the seat storage area
WLED-WHP5 x1 this is the light for the license plate

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
And what would be the reason for wanting to do this? The only time I've wanted to replace the standard bulb with a LED was because getting to the bulb was a big pain to change it when it burned out. So once I'm in there I would use a LED so I wouldn't ever need to go through the trouble of replacing it again. On the Burgman, at least on the 2013, all the bulbs are easy to get to and all of the bulbs you list do a good job as far as how much light they put out in stock form. It seems like more trouble and expense($143.55) than it would be worth, but it's your time and money so have fun.

Reactions: Daboo

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
First they use less energy (assuming you change the flasher and do not use load resistors) which can be used for things like accessories or in my case additional lighting for safety. Second they are a true color and in most cases are brighter. Third they light much faster than incandescent bulbs which means being seen sooner. Fourth they last much longer. Hmm what else.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup what MJR said. Basically I want to give the opposing drivers as much chance to see me as possible.

I see this as a project anyone can do. Not all of us have torque wrenches and can rebuild the CVT (though I admire those that can)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I will probably switch over to LEDs myself. Interested to see how this works out for you. I have used some stuff from superbrightleds.com before and they are good products.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello:
This sound like a great project. I have changed the headlights with HID in my previous bike (results where nice), but I have never done anything with LED's. Why not the headlights too, or are they not available or too expensive?
Marco

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe the headlight bulbs are H4 auto lamps but I am not exactly aware of an LED replacement. I saw the H4 "daylight running" LED lamp on the superbright LED site but I am not sure what they mean by that. The existing headlights are pretty bright and I am thinking of augmenting them with some bullet shaped LEDs. Don't seem to be an easy place to put the suckers though. Easiest place seems to be near the reflectors on the wheel. Just haven't finished researching all that yet. That's part 2 of the upgrade. you are jumping ahead of my story. LOL

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
The main problem with headlamp conversions is that the housing were designed for a specific bulb. Meaning the headlamp reflector was shaped for that bulb standard and where the light is generated. Changing the center point of light changes the way the headlamp reflector distributes the light. With LEDs it requires multiples to achieve the brightness and it's not possible to have them compatible with a incandescent in that respect. LEDs would require a headlamp reflector be designed for them to distribute the light properly. Also of note a lot of cheap HID kits also do not have the same center point of light to their bulb standard creating a blinding light that is not properly distributed (no cutoff) as if the high beams where on.

Reactions: Daboo

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I believe the headlight bulbs are H4 auto lamps but I am not exactly aware of an LED replacement. I saw the H4 "daylight running" LED lamp on the superbright LED site but I am not sure what they mean by that. The existing headlights are pretty bright and I am thinking of augmenting them with some bullet shaped LEDs. Don't seem to be an easy place to put the suckers though. Easiest place seems to be near the reflectors on the wheel. Just haven't finished researching all that yet. That's part 2 of the upgrade. you are jumping ahead of my story. LOL
I made some simple brackets from sheet steel to mount a pair of Kuryakyn bullet shaped lights on my 05. When I crashed it I made another set like them to mount a pair of LED running lights on my 2007. I suspect you could make something similar to use on your 2013. http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/Buffalo/Kuryakyn+Lightd/

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I made some simple brackets from sheet steel to mount a pair of Kuryakyn bullet shaped lights on my 05. When I crashed it I made another set like them to mount a pair of LED running lights on my 2007. I suspect you could make something similar to use on your 2013. http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/Buffalo/Kuryakyn+Lightd/
I've thought about some LED driving lights like these 800 lumen ones http://24x7diy.com/product_info.php/products_id/240 or if you like retina searing 3,600 lumens http://24x7diy.com/product_info.php/products_id/256 .

·
Premium Member
647 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have done quite a few LED conversions for my friends and my RV's
I always get them from China, the average RV conversion would be around 200$ where I can do them around 30$ with a pack of spares as I always order a few extras in case of failures.
example of LED brake light:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...-Car-Brake-Stop-Turn-Tail-New/1825453130.html

don't be afraid of China stuff, your likely getting the exact same thing and the only difference between you buying them from China and the guy your buying them from is he bought extras to give you in exchange and marked up the cost to compensate for this extra stock/cost. You can just order a few spares just as easy.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
With LED's I've found if the vendor doesn't list the light output in lumens so you can compare and get the best ones they are always a waste of money. I want the best quality and brightness I can get and only Superbright LED's has come through for me.

·
Registered
162 Posts
With LED's I've found if the vendor doesn't list the light output in lumens so you can compare and get the best ones they are always a waste of money. I want the best quality and brightness I can get and only Superbright LED's has come through for me.
That can easily be calculated as there are only a few SMD led types and you can look up the lumen from them, for instance the link I put on has 18 SMD and each SMD is the 5050 chip and they are 14 lumen each so total 252 lumen.
want brighter just get more SMD a 'bulb' with 24 5050's would be 336 lumen

a 3528 SMD is approx. 7 lumen per diode.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
That can easily be calculated as there are only a few SMD led types and you can look up the lumen from them, for instance the link I put on has 18 SMD and each SMD is the 5050 chip and they are 14 lumen each so total 252 lumen.
want brighter just get more SMD a 'bulb' with 24 5050's would be 336 lumen

a 3528 SMD is approx. 7 lumen per diode.
That is going to vary depending on the circuit arrangement and voltage. I think your figures are overly optimistic while they may be the max per LED in say white from the chip maker. SuperBright LED's rates the bulb not the individual LED's and as you can see here http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ed-bulb-dual-intensity-45-smd-led-tower-/814/ your approx figure of 7 lumens per 3528 is off by 2.11 lumens in white or off by 4.33 lumens in red. Also overdriving the LED's will cause them to fail sooner.

God knows I've wasted enough money on those crappy cheap LED bulbs until I found the ones I'm using now and even they could stand to be a bit brighter.

·
Registered
162 Posts
That is going to vary depending on the circuit arrangement and voltage. I think your figures are overly optimistic while they may be the max per LED in say white from the chip maker. SuperBright LED's rates the bulb not the individual LED's and as you can see here http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ed-bulb-dual-intensity-45-smd-led-tower-/814/ your approx figure of 7 lumens per 3528 is off by 2.11 lumens in white or off by 4.33 lumens in red. Also overdriving the LED's will cause them to fail sooner.

God knows I've wasted enough money on those crappy cheap LED bulbs until I found the ones I'm using now and even they could stand to be a bit brighter.
Yes color changes lumen rating, yes overdriving with a smaller resistor can make them brighter and reduce the hours of service, but what for? the cost of adding a few SMD's to make it brighter is nothing. The lumen rating is usually stated as a max value not the operational value. They are not measuring the lumen output they (superbrightleds.com) are just totaling the expected output based on the resistor against the led supplied by 12v.
They are ordering and using the same SMD's in the end.

The only time I ever saw any product from Superbrightleds.com the import document stated made in china.

I have over time ordered hundreds of LED's direct for RV installs and have only a small jar with the failed ones over all the years. **** near all those failed on installation or within a min or five.

I really haven't had notable problems with anything direct from China, over the last decade I have purchased hundreds of times and thousands $$ worth of product and I can count on one hand the number of times I have been disappointed. As long as your willing to wait on shipping time, and order spares as returning is not reasonable, you save huge and get the same thing. Just my experience.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Yes color changes lumen rating, yes overdriving with a smaller resistor can make them brighter and reduce the hours of service, but what for? the cost of adding a few SMD's to make it brighter is nothing. The lumen rating is usually stated as a max value not the operational value. They are not measuring the lumen output they (superbrightleds.com) are just totaling the expected output based on the resistor against the led supplied by 12v.
They are ordering and using the same SMD's in the end.
You missed my point. If we used your figures on the white LED bulb from Superbright LEDs the stated lumens would be much higher than they are rated. There's a lot more to whether a bulb is bright enough or not than simply the chip they use. One manufacturer does it one way and another different. Those things make a huge difference in not only quality but brightness. If you have already found a good manufacturer then your set but most of us haven't and doing so costs money.

The only time I ever saw any product from Superbrightleds.com the import document stated made in china.
I never said anything about where they were made, yes SuperBright LEDs does have chinese made products but so does Apple but that doesn't mean you can compare them to the junk a lot of chinese vendors sell. If I knew who made the bulbs for SuperBright I would buy them direct and save money but I don't and I like most people here would rather not waste money buying a bunch of inferior products to find "the good ones". There are some LED panels I have purchased direct from a chinese manufacturer and been happy with them. I have not had the same of LED bulbs.

I have over time ordered hundreds of LED's direct for RV installs and have only a small jar with the failed ones over all the years. **** near all those failed on installation or within a min or five.
I wasn't refering to failed ones but there are some reviews in places like eBay or Amazon though often if there is any time between the purchases they are not always the same products despite the listing. And most chinese listings don't include reviews to get a feel for the product.

I really haven't had notable problems with anything direct from China, over the last decade I have purchased hundreds of times and thousands $$ worth of product and I can count on one hand the number of times I have been disappointed. As long as your willing to wait on shipping time, and order spares as returning is not reasonable, you save huge and get the same thing. Just my experience.
I've found some hit or miss and I'm glad you've been happy just as I have with Superbright. I'm simply trying to add some perspective to anyone looking to spend money of said products to minimize other people wasting money on poor products.

Keeping in mind that I'm looking/using colored LED bulbs do you have a specific manufacturer and model that is a good product? Always looking for 1157 Red, 1157 Amber, and 1156 Amber. Thanks.

·
Registered
426 Posts
LED headlights don't seem to work that well. I tried one in my CF650TR and while the LED headlight bulb was super bright, which was very effective for day use, the same light failed miserably at night. Just no penetration and scattered light period. I ended up swapping the LED (which was returned and refunded by the supplier) for a 25 and 35w HID. Way more effective. I have installed numerous HID's into a number of my motorcycles with generally positive results.

LED's put out a vibrant and intense light, consume less energy and usually less heat but are not suitable as a main light source in automotive applications - knowing this I still wanted to experiment.

Footnote: some LED's might need resistors added if used for indicators/turn signals.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts