Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there with a 650 Burgie have the same problem as I'm having? I was going down the road and the 650 starting surging and went back to normal. Then it would surge and then finally it would just die completely. I finally got it home and tried to think of the reason, sparkplugs, bad gas, etc.. Any ideas on what the cause is and what to check? JC

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
The very first thing to check is the HT lead/coil assembly fitted to the top of each spark plug. No logic - it has happened before usually the left cylinder. This may be combined with a low idle speed setting so that when one lead 'opens' the remaining cylinder just cannot maintain.

It could be bad gas it could be a few things but difficult to diagnose from remote - eliminate the loose connection at the spark plug and we will go from there. :)

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
First thing is to check the spark plug caps are on tight. This has happened to several members .

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To all who replied thank you. Today, after the Burgie sat for a day, it is running just fine, no hint of the thing dying or surging like yesterday. Maybe something got wet, it had just rained yesterday, but wasn't actively raining and I went out for a short jaunt when it started dying. The streets were fairly wet yesterday but I didn't go thru any big puddles. Today the Blue Monster is running like it always has without complaint. I'm not going to investigate any more as long as it was just the one day. All for now. JC

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
JC,

This has been seen before, if you don't check those caps on the plugs, you'll wind up replacing them because they will develop carbon scoring in them that will cause continuous misfires eventually. Just make sure the plug caps are seated, push in & twist slightly until you hear the click-click & they should be good to go.

There several lengthy discussions on this subject on this board. I would suggest a search on "left plug" to find at least some of them & read through them. This is not something you want to go uncorrected unless you're into spending money & having the bike in the shop, not riding it.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Since this occurence happened under wet conditions it makes me think even more that it is spark cap related. It's not that hard to check. The 650 rad is hinged on the left as you look at the bike from the front. Remove the black plastic rad cover and the one bolt on the right of the rad. The rad will then open like a door enough for you to check the plug caps. See this picture http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/allwalk/plugchange1

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
jcdorz said:
...I'm not going to investigate any more as long as it was just the one day. All for now. JC
That's not a good idea. Just because it seems to be okay now is not reason to assume that there is nothing wrong.

It shouldn't have behaved as it did, even in the rain. (I once rode for two days in a driving Pacific rainstorm, with no problems other than cold, wet hands (wrong gloves). The bike shouldn't start stalling just because it's wet.)

I agree with others that you need to check -- or have someone else check -- the spark plug leads. An intermittent today could become a major fault next week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts