Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently ( 6 weeks ago) bought my first 650 that was sitting for 3 years. Dead battery, fouled plugs, stale gas and expired inspection. Put in new battery, new plugs, Seafoam & fresh gas added to what was in the tank. Been riding it since then and put around 900 miles on it. Added a GPS, throttle lock, trunk and saddle bags & phone charger. My question is...Would 49.8 MPG on a trip be good? My wifes 400 Burgman got 69 MPG. Also can I remove any sound deadener from the muffler without cutting it up?

20200903_113510.jpg 20200817_133517.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2003 an400 Burgman and since putting on a tall Givi shield only get 62-65mpg, plus top speed dropped about 15mph. 49 is very good from what I have been reading, I’m thinking of purchasing a 2012 650 Burgman. Avg mpg is around 42-45 I’ve read.

·
Administrator
18,686 Posts
Donna, you did not say what year your 650 is. My 2003 gets between 49 and 54 MPG but it has a top box and side cases when I get 49 MPG. The best was my 2008 that I got 58 MPG.

Also road makeup will effect MPG, Florida roads have a lot of Coral and sea shell and is said to chew up the tires and the MPG.

The 2013 and up 650's get above 60 MPG accordingly to a few members.

·
Administrator
18,686 Posts
On the Muffler sound deadener, NO it requires cutting. There is a 3A mod posted somewhere on this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don’t own a 650 yet , I own a 400 now but was researching 650 for a very soon 650 purchase. I was looking at a 2012 today.

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
I don’t own a 650 yet , I own a 400 now but was researching 650 for a very soon 650 purchase. I was looking at a 2012 today.
lots of difference between the 12 and 13, and not much difference in price used. Might want to do a short test ride on both before making a purchase you could regret later

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
I recently ( 6 weeks ago) bought my first 650 that was sitting for 3 years. Dead battery, fouled plugs, stale gas and expired inspection. Put in new battery, new plugs, Seafoam & fresh gas added to what was in the tank. Been riding it since then and put around 900 miles on it. Added a GPS, throttle lock, trunk and saddle bags & phone charger. My question is...Would 49.8 MPG on a trip be good? My wifes 400 Burgman got 69 MPG. Also can I remove any sound deadener from the muffler without cutting it up?

View attachment 91785 View attachment 91786
not knowing what year the burg is , what your riding style (aggressive/ asleep) is and your road conditions (virginia or colorado , or florida, ) it's hard to say. no need to go to all that trouble to make it louder, just shoot some holes in the muffler or drill into the exhaust pipe in front of the muffler, then gas mileage may change a bit, but you can sit and listen to it all day instead of riding it.
For a really good sound, go buy a new electric harley, great mileage economy and you can program in different exhaust sounds, plus you get the harley name without all the oil leaks.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Donna, you did not say what year your 650 is. My 2003 gets between 49 and 54 MPG but it has a top box and side cases when I get 49 MPG. The best was my 2008 that I got 58 MPG.

Also road makeup will effect MPG, Florida roads have a lot of Coral and sea shell and is said to chew up the tires and the MPG.

The 2013 and up 650's get above 60 MPG accordingly to a few members.
The 650 is a 2003. It does also have a GIVI tall windshield if that makes a differance.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Screw - As a 2011 owner (2011 & 2012 are the same from what I understand), I suggest considering moving to a 2013+ unit. There's nothing "wrong" with the 2011 & 2012, but at least for one thing, it is missing the coolant gauge, and I find that just plain dumb. I think it is a fact that the 2013+ units are "mo' bettuh." But it would depend on cost. I got a good deal on mine, but it appears there was a reason (I think the dude new there was a problem with the FD).

donna - You've done some nice mods. I've gone through some experimentation to get my speedometer spot on. And painstaking efforts to determine a correction-factor to multiply to my trip meter reading when I fuel up. So, my mpg is about as accurate as can get. Here lately I've been cruising the interstate trying to knock out some good numbers. The best I've been able to get lately is 47.5 mpg. However, my Final Drive has been chewing itself up. And I believe that has absorbed some energy. I just "fixed" my Final Drive and I notice it is not as difficult to push around while not cranked. Meaning, I think those new gears I just installed in there are sliding over each other nicely … versus grinding each other away. I suspect my mpg will increase. I have yet to get my Burgman back into full service after repairing the Final Drive because now I have the rear wheel off and am about to follow Darth Vader to the DarkSide. Once back on the road with that, I'll need some light corrections to the speedo healer and my trip meter correction-factor corrected and I'll be back in bidness.

Your 49.8 mpg indicates to me, that your Burgman is "healthy." If these Burgmans came with an EPA mpg sticker (when new), I would say it would read something like 45 city / 51 highway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have to assume that because of the low mileage when I bought it (4485) it was not used hard. I considered darksiding it but I could not find anyone to swap the tire for insurance reasons. So I replaced front & back with stock size Shinook tires and so far I'm happy with them. My question is the GPS shows a speed of say 45 MPH while the dash reads 40 MPH. Those speed readers on the side of the road agree with my GPS. Is there a way to adjust the dash speedo to read the same?

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
there is a test/procedure for determining gas mileage, reset trip meter to zero, gas mileage should also indocate zero, now put bike up on center stand, crank it and advance the rpm's to 2000 - 2100, maintain this rpm setting for exactly 4 minutes, gas mileage should indicate 0 mpg or a little more, if it indicates less , you have a problem

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
there is a test/procedure for determining gas mileage, reset trip meter to zero, gas mileage should also indocate zero, now put bike up on center stand, crank it and advance the rpm's to 2000 - 2100, maintain this rpm setting for exactly 4 minutes, gas mileage should indicate 0 mpg or a little more, if it indicates less , you have a problem
My 03 doesn't have a gas mileage meter. I reset trip gauges to zero, fill up, then when I fill up again, divide the miles ridden by gallons to refill.

·
Administrator
18,686 Posts
Its true the 2003 650 does not have MPG readings. ODO, Trip 1 and Trip 2.
Clock has no Temp, just clock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts