Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plastic connector plug on my '07 Burgman 650 went through a meltdown :(. When I had the switch replaced last year, the mechanic slathered a pound of dielectric grease on the plug :confused:. I think that the grease mixed with the dirt and grimme cause the spades to loosen and the wires got hot enough to melt the plastic connector plug :angry4:. I'm hoping someone out there has the plug on an '07 or later bike they are parting out. Please let me know ASAP cause I miss riding my bike.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Which plug and which exact location.

I would be cautious that the root cause may lay elsewhere and you are seeing the manifest symptom.

·
Administrator
18,763 Posts
I am going to ask a question or 2. Do you run any device or extra lights on your bike? If so, where do you power them?

The switch is handling much more than it should "BEFORE" any added heated grips or lights. Then you add a set of lights and power them from the "power plug" in the glove box that is rated at 10 Amps. But that plug is powered THRU the ignition switch.

A relay system is easy to wire in and relieves the current draw thru the switch and its plug/wiring.

·
Premium Member
14,260 Posts
I'm with Norman, you may have something else going on.

My one question is whether or not your 07 is an Executive. If it is you may want to inspect the wiring harness up behind the motor for the electric windshield. The 07 Exec had an issue with the way the harness was routed. It could get pinched between the frame and fairing. This could let it rub through and short out. The result was a melt down somewhere.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for not posting sooner. I'm not running any extra lights or accessories. The bike is not an executive model. The plug is the six wire connector that is at the bottom of the ignition switch. Once I was able to cut away the melted plastic and inspected the connectors, I found that all the connector are fine. I then manually connected each one to the corresponding male on the switch, and the bike lights up. I believe that the plug came loose from the excessive grease that was slapped on by the dealer. Also, I see that the wires are a bit tight reaching from the loom to the switch. I was able to find a replacement plastic plug and I've purchased wire to make a new connection to give myself more play, so that the plug won't come loose again. I'm going to slowly solder the new wires together and then get my bike back on the road again. Thanks for the comments and insights.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I would put more di-electric grease back in between that connector.

You have a minor (for Now) electrical problem,

That you need to address and fix as next time it may be worse.

You are building up way to much heat in an area that you should not have that much heat from.

It could have been the connector was causing a big draw as the contacts may have been loose, to very loose, or it could be something else building the heat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts