Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have misplaced my ignition key and would like to find a replacement that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I am currently using the spare key that was supplied by Suzuki. I never use the shudder end. I just want a cheap key that will work. Someone listed an ILCO #241SUZ218 KEY BLANK. Has anyone tried it and if it works where did you buy it.

I always park my bike in the garage with the key left in the ignition. Some how it has disappeared. I know it will turn up after a purchase a new key.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I purchased a replacement key from ebay It was about 10 dollars it came with 3 magnets, and I was able to install them in the proper positions after a little trial and error so the key hole door works, had it cut at the hardware store for a buck . I now carry a spare on the bike.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you have the key or one that works buy this. Walmart wouldn't cut it for me, so I went to ACE Hardware.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEY-BLANK-F...Parts_Accessories&hash=item33785e946e&vxp=mtr

Does anyone know how figure out the orientation of the magnets to avoid having to buy the whole lock assembly to be able to use the lock shudder?
In MY case (YMMV), I purchased a spare magnet key off ebay. The magnets are arranged around the center post of the shutter socket. Take a magnet and place it into the shutter socket and it will find a spot and "jump" to it. Align the key to match up with that location and take that stuck magnet and REVERSE it (turn it around) into the corresponding hole in the key. The system is designed to REPEL the magnets in the shutter lock. Follow the same procedure for the remaining two magnets.

Ed

·
Registered
230 Posts
hi all well un fortunately here in Australia are burgmans have a chip in the keys so I bought one of ebay that looked the same as the original for $6 it only opens the seat and glove box but when turned on it wont start and the f1 light comes on .I only bought it for the seat lock manly thinking that if I ever locked my keys in the seat it would save my bacon >which it did last monday

·
Registered
842 Posts
Marv,
Here is a old post from when i lost my key to my AN400. I believe the Ilco key blank#
you stated is the one i used. The locksmith i had make the key in Venice, FL had to
modify the key some so it could go in far enough to open the seat. I also took apart the shutter lock and removed the magnets so it could open and close without the key. The 2nd post is how i chose to deal with the shutter lock itself. Do not believe there much of a difference
if any at all between the 400 and the 650.
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/12-general-discussion/42792-burgman-key.html

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/52-burgman-400-2007-model/42852-shutter-lock-assembly.html

·
Registered
220 Posts
I did a key replacement article on this, use the search button. I purchased two key from Hong Kong off of E-bay for $9.00 each, shipping was about $8.00, received my keys in about 10 days. Spent around $27.00 for the keys and $4.00 to have the keys cut at a locksmith. Don't go to Walmart, Hone Depot, Lowes, etc. they don't have a machine to cut them, go to a locksmith. These keys come with the magnets that operate the key security door, it you don't care about the security working don't put them in the keys, if you decide and want the security door to work, then it will take a little time and knowledge to get it done, I spent about and hour working with the magnets to get them in the right possession to work the door. I won't go into that process here there are too many variables to explain here, but you could call me and I could help you with it. Last, you can't buy these security keys at the Suzuki dealer, they only sell a ignition key set, around $400.00.

John

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have misplaced my ignition key and would like to find a replacement that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

The path of least resistance was to go to my local Ace Hardware store. They had the proper blank minus the end part that fits in the shudder hole which I never use. Besides cutting the blank to match the original key they had to cut back the shoulder about 3/16 inch. For $2.49 plus tax I thought it was a bargain.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Marv,

Just remember, you do not need the magnet key to close the shutter. If some kid is messing/fiddling around and curiously turns the shutter...well, then what.

Ed

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just remember, you do not need the magnet key to close the shutter. If some kid is messing/fiddling around and curiously turns the shutter...well, then what.

I use the second factory key that came with my bike. The One I just got goes inside my Givi box under a mat I installed to protect my helmet from getting scratched. My spare Givi box key stays in my wallet after it was ground down and taped to the back of my drivers licence.

Sometimes beating Murphy's law can be a bitch!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I seem to never look for the cheap easier way out, it seems like somewhere along the way something is going to happen that doing it right pays off. I personally did the key thing just to see if I could do it, I did.

John

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Murphy's law

I seem to never look for the cheap easier way out, it seems like somewhere along the way something is going to happen that doing it right pays off. I personally did the key thing just to see if I could do it, I did.

John
Talking about the cheap easier way out, I purchased one of those cheap very loud Chinese horns that look like and sound like the American brand that costs twice as much. It worked fine for about three months...then it stopped working.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts