Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 650 has 46,000 miles on it. I just changed oil in the engine, transmission and final gear oil. I used Shell T6 Synthetic for the engine and transmission. I initially overfilled the transmission then remembered the oil level bolt, removed it and let the overfill out. After driving this a couple of days, yesterday, I noticed a couple of what seemed to to be slippages on a 30 mile trip to work. On my way home no slippages noted. Today on my way in, the slippages were much worse - I had about 6 of them and the bike stalled a couple of times with the red oil indicator light coming on. I drove it home and parked it. Any advise on what is wrong and how I can diagnose or fix or this a dealer item? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,252 Posts
First I'm assuming you mean the oil light came on after the engine stopped turning and not before.

Slippage could be the clutch but in your case it doesn't sound like it. I base that on your saying the engine stalled. That would only happen is the clutch failed to disengage. There is a remote possibility the rollers or springs in your clutch are bad causing it to not engage and disengage properly.

The other thing that comes to mine is a primary pulley position sensor that is giving bad readings. That is relatively easy to check out so you might look at that first. You can remove it in just a few minutes. It is accessible just by removing the right lower leg shield. You can then work it by hand to ensure it is moving freely and use a multimeter to test that it is giving good readings throughout its full travel.

One last thing you could check is the throttle position sensor. If it has bad spots in it you could have little drops in engine speed that feel something like brief slippages. That is what mine did when the TPS failed. However my engine never stalled. You can also test the TPS with a multimeter. You should be able to access the plug for testing just by removing the maintenance access cover. It is located by the throttle bodies. To get to the sensor it's self you have to remove the front box.

·
Administrator
18,695 Posts
Mike, First of all, the CVT can not cause the oil "RED" light to come on. That is a LOW pressure indactor and it means you lost oil pressure. If you loose oil pressure the engine stalls and if it does, it will feel like the CVT slipped. The loss of oil pressure and stall are the bearings seizing up, NOT a good thing! Yes it needs looking at!I would not even start it up until you find out what happened. Put it on the center stand and check your oil level window ASAP.

Many of us have run the Shell Rotella T-6 for 10,000's of miles with not one report of a quality failure. This sounds like the first, IF its a quality and not a
QUANTITY issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes but it stalled twice. I actually have not diagnosed whether I need new plugs and my motor was surging or it is the CVT or clutch. I rechecked all of the oil levels and they are good.

·
Premium Member
14,252 Posts
You might check to see if you have a loose plug boot/coil. Sometimes the plug boot will work loose on the plugs causing an intermittent spark. That can cause stumbles and even engine stalls.

It would take just a few minutes to loosen the radiator retaining bolt, swing the radiator out of the way and check that the boots are pushed all the way up on the plugs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts