Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son was trying to help me attach the brake wire from an E52 Givi storage box to the brake light wire on the Burgman 650. Well he never actually pulled a wire out of the scoot. The next thing I know, the only power I get when I turn the key is headlights. I can't start, no dash lights, no rear or brake lights. What could he have pulled or moved that caused the scoot to have no power? Yes the side stand is up and the kill switch is not pushed.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Rubble said:
Have you checked your fuses?
Ditto.

Some of the circuits share fuses that don't seem logically to relate to one another. Unless you have a service manual with a schematic you'll just have to check each fuse in turn.

I hope that's all it is. Good luck.

·
Registered
270 Posts
jcdorz said:
My son was trying to help me attach the brake wire from an E52 Givi storage box to the brake light wire on the Burgman 650. Well he never actually pulled a wire out of the scoot. The next thing I know, the only power I get when I turn the key is headlights. I can't start, no dash lights, no rear or brake lights. What could he have pulled or moved that caused the scoot to have no power? Yes the side stand is up and the kill switch is not pushed.
The same thing happen to me when we installed my Give top case. I had power to everthing expcept braklights. It wouldn't start or even attemp to turn over. The dealer had done the work on the top case. And i was still in town & had stopped too have lunch. It had started and run fine over to where i stopped to eat.I came back out to go home & no go. It wasn't a fuse problem. I can't remenber what he said it was. But he done a trace on it. And the part was under warrentty.They took the bike back to the shop & found the problem. I allways will belive they shorted something out when they installed the wireing to that case. They said it was just coincidence that it happen right after that had put the top case on. I don't think so. But it didn't cost anything to fix the problem. So i didn't make a big deal out of it. I'll cheak with my dealer today and find out what that part was they put on. It maybe your problem. They same symptoms & circumstances. I got to call him anyway, my wifes tires are in & need to monted.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
As above most defo a fuse!

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure how to post a reply to all of you re my Burgman losing power, but here goes. I took it to a mechanic and he was as confused as I was. He looked at all the fuses and said they looked ok. I left and he called back later leaving a message saying, "The power's on and the Givi E52 with brake light is all hooked up." I was dumbfounded. I called him and asked him what the cause was and he said it was a fuse, the main fuse, it looked good but he put a meter to it and it showed it was burned out. Now I don't know what caused the fuse to burn out, I'm just grateful I get the Burgie back and can ride tomorrow! Thanks to all of you caring Burgermeisters who wrote me trying to help, the fuse idea was right on just hard to find. JC

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Just a thought.

I blew a fuse on my burg early in the game by overloading my charging circuit. (tire inflator)
When I went to replace it, it looked fine.

Long story short:
In many if not all, fuse locations, Suzuki has added a spare fuse, right beside the one that is in use.
I know the two 40 amp main fuses under the seat have spares beside them.

It is easy to confuse the two.
The fuse I checked was the spare.
The one right beside it was blown.

Possibly something like this happened to your mechanic.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Rick,

That second fuse under the seat next to the 40A Main Fuse is not a spare. It is the 40A CVT Fuse. It is labeled that way both in the Service Manual and in the scooter. My guess is that if you remove it to use as a spare Main Fuse, you won't have an operative transmission. There is no spare 40A fuse that I could see.

In the fuse box, there are two spare fuses, one 15A and one 10A. These are the mini size blade fuses. All of the operative fuses in the box are 15A except for one 10A (which I think is for the fuel pump).

I feel more comfortable carrying a few 15A mini fuses and a couple 40A standard size blade fuses in my contingency kit. These are odd sizes that might not be available at a small town convenience store (and they don't take up much room to carry).

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
pauljo said:
...I feel more comfortable carrying a few 15A mini fuses and a couple 40A standard size blade fuses in my contingency kit. These are odd sizes that might not be available at a small town convenience store (and they don't take up much room to carry).
:!: Excellent tip.

I'm going to pick up some spares before my next long trip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts