Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

Our village has a speed limit of 30Km/H, which is fine, but my 650 is revving at 3K at that speed which makes it sound as if it's spinning too fast.

The engine is clearly on very light load and on a manual box I'd try a higher gear.

In manual mode it shows 2nd gear and won't let me go up a notch.

The 3k revs may be just what is programmed into the ECU, but to my mind it sends a message to all who listen that I'm impatient with the speed limit, and frankly something closer to tickover would seem more normal to my ear. All this gives the impression that my burgsteed is just another of the little buzzbikes ridden by kids. (they can ride 50 cc scooters at 14 here)

Am I doing something wrong?
Is this really supposed to happen?
Perhaps it's just me, but surely it's using more fuel at 3K? - and I can't even put it in neutral and glide home :confused:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Is it that loud that others can hear it?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it's the pitch rather than the volume that makes it audible, and it's perhaps more noticeable to me since my last scooter was just over tickover at 30 Km/H.

3K RPM seems excessive for that speed, but if that's what others see, then I suppose Suzuki designed it that way.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Lets see 30 km/h would be about 19 mph. Very rare for me to ride along at that speed so can't really remember the rpm the engine is turning. It would not surprise me to see it be somewhere around 3,000 rpm though.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Austinii, I just went out a test rode my 09 650 to see what it does at 19 mph. The bike will shift into 3rd gear at that speed but wont up shift into 3rd gear at 18MPH. My high zoot telephone app called convertipad states that 30kph is 18.64 mph so I would suggest you drive it up to 31kph shift into 3rd and then slow down as the bike will not down shift. Oh and by the way in automatic mode the engine does rev a 3000 rpm at 19mph ( 30kph)
Greg

·
Registered
735 Posts
When I start worrying about 3000RPM on my 650, I think, "Well that's about the equivalent of 1500RPM on a 4-cylinder or 1000RPM on a 6-cylinder." ;-)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all, and especially Greginnm for having done the test!
In fact it won't let me go to third below 36 km, and goes down to 2nd at about 33.
I know it's no big deal, but I live in a quiet neighbourhood and it just seems more logical to reduce revs at low speeds.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Revs on 650

Remember that your indicated speed is not your true speed......the Burgman is somewhat optimistic in that regard.........

TW

1 - 9 of 9 Posts