Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watcha Folks!

The fuel guage on my machine stays on the 4 segment position for ages. The third segment to the last flashing one seems to go so very quickly over about 30 miles. Anyone know if I get get it recalibrated or is there another or no solution.

steve

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Steve,

That's how they all work. Not just on the Burgman either, the fuel gauge on my 2003 Suzuki V-Strom motorcycle work exactly the same way. I have never heard of anyone getting it re-calibrated. As far as I know that is not possible.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
The fuel gauge is not linear and in no way. The 2 times you can trust it is when it says your full and empty. You have 2 trip meters A & B. The majority of folks after figuring out what there avg fuel consumption is usually dedicate one of the trip meters to use in conjunction with the fuel gauge. I know on mine that when I hit 290 kms on the trip meter its time to fill up. When I get to the point where the last segment along with the fuel pump icon start flashing I have approx 20 kms remaining in the tank.

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
Steve,
I do the same as allwalk, and use the trip meters. Typicall I fiil up @ 125-150 miles. We went riding yesterday, and on the way home i noticed I had 149 miles on the trip meter. I was thinking about getting fuel but made it home fine. When I pulled upthe driveway I noticed I had 2 bars left. I never looked at the gauge (I forgot) for the last 60 miles. I guess I hardly ever do, I rely on the trip meter mostly.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Here is how I figure the gas gauge out. If the 5 bar is flashing and if I catch this right away as I am riding, then I know I have 3 Liters left in the tank (according to the owner's manual). So then I scroll to the trip meter that I reset at my last fill up, make a mental note of the fuel consumption.

In my case on my last trip, the fuel consumption was 20 km/L then 3 x 20 = 60 kms. So I have probably about 40 miles (60kms) before it gets completely empty. Then as you are riding along and if you wait until the "gas icon" starts flashing then you have 1.5 litres of gas left. You can now count on about 20 miles.

The tension builds as you haul out your map (OK to do because its neatly tucked away in the hump bag in front) and I have one hand free because I'm riding an automatic scooter I make sure there is a town within this range. I was never stranded but did have a couple of tense moments.

BTW I got an average of 58 mpg's (2100 kms round trip - from trip B consumption meter) and I used the trip A to monitor gas stop to gas stop.
The temperature gauge was great as well as I rode over some passes in the Cascades (Washington and Oregon). Range was about 270-290 kms and I cruised mostly 120-130 kms/hr.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
The theory is that each bar represents .8 US gallons; so all 5 bars is four gallons, 4 bars is just over 3 gallons, 3 bars is almost 2 1/2 gallons, 2 bars is just over 1 1/2 gallons, and 1 bar is almost 1 gallon.

When it first changes from 2 bars to 1, and the Fuel Pump symbol begins flashing you have about a gallon left. When the last bar starts flashing you have less than 1/2 a gallon left. (This is on pre-2005 models. I don't know if the '05s are the same.)

It's easier for those using the metric system; each bar is supposed to represent 3 litres (full tank is 15 litres), and when the last bar starts flashing it means 1.5 litres remaining.

But that's all theory. In my experience, the 650's fuel gauge definitely seems "non-linear" -- it's just something I've learned to live with.

As others have said they do, I mainly go by the miles travelled. In mostly city riding I can go about 140 - 150 miles on a full tank. In all highway miles I can go 180+ miles. (I've gone over 200 miles twice, but was on vapours at the end -- not recommended.)

Now, if your fuel gauge seems WAY off, then you might want to check the sender. With a full tank it should measure 11 - 13 Ohms, at a half tank it should measure 70 - 75 Ohms, and on an empty tank it should measure 130 - 150 Ohms. If the numbers are out of range you may want to replace the sender.

HTH.

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
Just as an aside to this subject, yesterday I filled right to the lid whilst on the side stand. Then I put it on the centre stand, where I usually fill and topped it to the lid again. It took exactly 0.4 litre more that way. That would give me about 10 km more on a tankful.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've found the same with mine. Once the trip meter sez 150 it's time to think fuel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts