Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I have decided, I am going for the 2013 650 instead of a 2014 400, since I can't get the bike right now (mom) I am going to start collecting parts to put on it when it comes time. headlight modulator, brake light flasher doohickeys, something to keep rain from accumulating in my crotchital area when I am stopped in a thunderstorm , good riding gear of course, my last set looks like a full body loofah, including helmet and I am wondering, I have not heard mention on the 650 any complaints about the windscreen, and the 400 windscreen is a notorious piece of blasphemy in all categories, do I need to change screens?
I'm going to stay close to stock on everything except backrest, and I will keep the stock and make my own for that. I plan to be buried bronzed and in an upright riding position on this bike so 10 to 15 years is what I am hoping to get out of it with good maintenance and no cell phoners.

·
Registered
704 Posts
well I have decided, I am going for the 2013 650 instead of a 2014 400, since I can't get the bike right now (mom)
I guess I don't understand... what has mom got to do with it? Are you an older mommy's baby? I thot you were an adult?:confused:

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
congrats on your choice, I think you are going to like the 650 a lot

shop around for price, I have seen a few local dealers in Southern California sell the new 2013 for around $8,500.00.

as for farkles, you will add the right ones once you get the scoot.

·
Premium Member
8,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just looked at one in Lakeland Fl, they want $11,000 before taxes etc HAhahahahahaha

glove box doors still stink, fuel door still stinks seat a little different from 400, less storage, why the heck do mirrors fold when bars stick out as far as mirrors, windscreen is a p.o.s.
helmet will cost me about 700.00 gloves another 100.00 jacket $300.00
I ordered the shop manual $104.00 today, and in April will get all the rest except the bike. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Get yourself a set (Jacket and Pants) of Frogg Togg Road Toads.

Frogg Togg makes awesome rain gear - and it breathes well - and you will not get wet.

20 for Pants apx 50 for Jacket

(Iron Pony here in my Home town is a great place)

(And, like others have ask - what is with the mom won't let me ride)?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
As a prior service US Marine myself, I have wondered about MikeyMarine. Mike, are you a prior service US Marine? If so, why in the **** do you allow anyone to tell you that you can't own or ride a motorcycle.

Doug in Kentucky S/SGT USMC

·
Administrator
18,695 Posts
Like me, I just figured Mikey has a sawed off little mom that has a pocket full of NITRO. My mom was only 4' 9" and she could kick a Grizzly bears rump in two rounds. I swear she had Combat Boots before I did. If Momma said jump, don't try to land till she said so. She taught me to say "Sir" and "Mam" 15 years before I joined the army. She would have been 86 yesterday. Tough broad!!!! https://www.google.com/#q=tough+broad

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
My parents told me as a young man that I would get a vehicle of my own when I bought it and insured it with money I had earned. They never dreamed that I would show up one day with a motorcycle (a Honda Cub) with title in my name and insurance papers to show them. I had even gone to DMV and got me one of those motorcycle permits (where I lived you could get a motorcycle permit at 15 1/2). I wasn't even 16 yet and had taken care of things myself. Neither Mom or Dad was happy with my method of solving my transportation problem. But I stood up for myself and kept the bike. You gotta have a spine. It served me good for about 2 years until I sold it and bought myself a Honda 305 Scrambler which I rode until I went into the Marines. I would love to have either of those bikes again.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Premium Member
8,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, long story short, I am a retired Marine, and no, mom doesn't tell me what to do, but she is 82, parkinsons, mild dementia, and psychotic, I am only caregiver for her, I was for Dad too. She wasn't capable. If I get munged up on a bike, I can't take care of her, I don't mind getting munged up, stuff happens, but I, like you all have a duty to fulfil for a little while longer, my last 2 accidents educated me to the fact I just gottta put myself and my desires on the back burner for now. btw I bought my service manual for the "13" 650 yesterday.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Mikey you deserve a 650 and a 2013 whohooooo.

You could appease your responsibilities if you took Mum out on the pillion;)

But well done you, for standing up to the plate and being the carer for your parents - very much tougher than being a Marine that's for sure.

BTW - the screen is not too bad but works better for a taller rider with a laminar lip fitted.

The folding mirrors are actually an asset, it maybe that you cannot take advantage of them. Over here filtering through traffic is the raison d'être of being on 2 wheels - to make progress. In the real world where most cars are not the size of a house the Burgman mirrors are about the same height as car mirrors hence the advantage when being able to fold when filtering.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Mike, you have my apology. I fully understand your situation and you have my admiration. My mother passed away last year, I miss her.

Semper Fi Brother,
Doug in Kentucky

1 - 13 of 13 Posts