Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 650 exec (acquired maybe three years ago) that I've put about 16K miles on. Recently, after a ride of maybe 30 or 40 minutes, when I turned the bike off, put the sidestand down (and then back up after a few minutes) it didn’t want to restart: I get a clicking sound (solenoid?) and sputtering lights on the dash (the oil on the left, the abs on the right, and odometer on the main).
If I leave the bike off for about 30 minutes, it will restart.
Took it to the shop, they did some repairs (replaced spark plugs, valves, cylinder head gasket) found the charging system working properly, found no loose connections, load tested the battery and checked battery connections…and also could not replicate the issue I was having.
Of course, today when I parked it in the garage after a 30 minute ride home from the shop, the same issue happened.
At first blush I thought it was a battery or charge issue, but the shop seemed to eliminate (or at least neutralize) that idea.

Browsing the 650 forum, I see folks mention the regulator/rectifier, the stator, the starter, the coils, the solenoid, the sidestand switch sticking (which doesn't ~seem~ to be the case), and a wiring harness short (I may be forgetting something) as potential issues.

Seeking any additional ideas I might be missing so that I can get this (hopefully) diagnosed and resolved.

Thanks!

Blake

·
Administrator
22,250 Posts
There are three connectors UNDER the battery that get overlooked. Two Red and one Black.
Check them for corrosion.

·
Premium Member
17,945 Posts
eliminate the easy stuff if it does it again , jump it with a known good battery, if it starts, you got a charging system problem, if it does the same you don't, I don't understand why the shop did all that work on the engine for the start problem you are having, also since it seems to be heat related I am thinking the starter sits right on top of a big hot engine and has a tendency to get fouled up with gunk and not work properly (oil bypasses the engine seal and into the starter as best I can tell) DaveJ has the most common problem pinpointed and can cause this , heat equals resistance as does corrosion

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
eliminate the easy stuff if it does it again , jump it with a known good battery, if it starts, you got a charging system problem, if it does the same you don't, I don't understand why the shop did all that work on the engine for the start problem you are having, also since it seems to be heat related I am thinking the starter sits right on top of a big hot engine and has a tendency to get fouled up with gunk and not work properly (oil bypasses the engine seal and into the starter as best I can tell) DaveJ has the most common problem pinpointed and can cause this , heat equals resistance as does corrosion
thanks mikey! the shop did the spark plug change because it was due and the valves because they were dirty (similar situation with the gasket): the fact that they could not replicate the issue I was having didn't give them a lot to go on, so I suspect (?) when they ran through the charging system checks and connectors they figured they eliminated those options...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what fixedyhour 2009 battery problem, we never got an answer on that , or the other bike
what fixed the 2009 bike was taking it back to the shop where I bought it and getting my full purchase price refunded (!)
they had no idea what they were doing with it and since they generally didn't sell or service japanese bikes, they decided to cut their losses and headaches and get me out of their hair.
as for the 2003, I ended up selling it "as-is not running" and the dude who bought it told me he "had an easier time accessing the CVT by cutting the frame (!!!!) and "thought he'd be able to get it going just fine."

·
Administrator
22,250 Posts
I did have 1 issue on my first 2003 650 that was a hot restart problem.

I'd drive from my works parking lot 1.5 miles to Costco gas pumps and had a no start. I could pour cold water on the engine case near the starter and steam would come off. The 'Starter Clutch' would get hot and lock up and the engine would not crank over till it cooled down.

The fix, .......... that bike needed the engine oil to be topped off to almost the full line all the time or it did this. The engine oil cools the inside of the engine too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts