Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be going to look at a used '03 650 Burgman later this week at a local BMW dealer (came in as a trade-in).

I have been waiting for a 2005, but they won't be here until March, and we are still getting good riding weather, so if the price is right, I might buy used for the moment.

Can someone please tell me what differences there are between an '03 & and an '04.

Thanks,

Reg 8)

·
Registered
969 Posts
They all sound like diesels. It's really not a problem, just (for some) an annoyance.

The 2005's will probably do it as well.

Steve

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Ray,

I think you are the first to dig into the shop manual for that info. So perhaps there are some subtle changes under the tupperware. The change in suspension specs is interesting - might get a slightly better ride with an '04 model. But I think when shopping for a used 650, there isn't enough there to make anyone pass on an '03 if the price & condition are right.

·
Registered
17 Posts
from what i understand,there was a wheel bearing problem on early 03's they were not sealed properly,& water got in with resultant damage. there was a running change, sometime in late 03,but suzuki did not announce it & no record of which vehicle id # when the upgrade was incorporated? all 04's come with the upgraded wheel bearings. rich b

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
rich b said:
from what i understand,there was a wheel bearing problem on early 03's they were not sealed properly,& water got in with resultant damage. there was a running change, sometime in late 03,but suzuki did not announce it & no record of which vehicle id # when the upgrade was incorporated? all 04's come with the upgraded wheel bearings. rich b
As far as I know, the wheel bearings are still unsealed.

There was, however, a group of early '03s that had bad bearings (the actual balls) that were failing even when not exposed to water.

Two seperate issues, as far as I know.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
In the new issue of "Scootin", the Scoot-Tours magazine, someone reported front wheel bearing failure on an '03 Burgman 650 at 10,000 miles. Their dealer told them that the factory does not grease wheel bearings anymore when installing them. A cost cutting measure. This wasn't just with Burgmans either. The dealer said that many of his dirt bike customers pack the wheel bearings upon getting a new machine.

As with anything said by a dealer... Could be true... Could be BS...

Just passing along what I read. But, maybe it's not just the seals...

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Brian said:
...As far as I know, the wheel bearings are still unsealed....
I may be wrong on this. I've since been told that the late '03s and all '04s have rubber seals, whereas the early '03s only had metal shields.

I haven't verified this though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Brian:
i am pretty certain your information is correct on this. it is too bad suzuki did not tell us exactly when they made the upgrade to the rubber sealed bearings. i have also heard of bikes comming through with three rubber sealed bearings,& the right rear (drive side) having the metal seal. could this be because suzuki feared the rubber would break down from the constant heat transer of the final drive?
rich b

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
rich b said:
could this be because suzuki feared the rubber would break down from the constant heat transer of the final drive?
I dunno. Maybe they're just using up the last of their unsealed bearings, and figured they'd hide them there so we might not notice. :x

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, with the 2003 Burgy 650 that I just bought yesterday, should I remove the wheels and install new sealed bearings just to be safe?

My bike is probably going to see a lot rain. The previous owner never took it out in the rain, but I bought it to ride all year, so now it's going to get wet. :)

Reg

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
vfdcaptain said:
So, with the 2003 Burgy 650 that I just bought yesterday, should I remove the wheels and install new sealed bearings just to be safe?

My bike is probably going to see a lot rain. The previous owner never took it out in the rain, but I bought it to ride all year, so now it's going to get wet. :)

Reg
I've got 12,500 miles on my original wheel bearings - no problems so far. I don't ride in the rain a lot. But I've been having similar thoughts. Might replace them over the Winter. My scoot is an early production '03, so if they did upgrade the bearings - I doubt that I have the better ones. I don't want to be off on a trip next Summer and have a bearing fail - that would be irritating.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I am one that did experience bearing failure. I replaced mine with the rubber sealed type versus the original metal shielded ones. The most it will take is 2 hours to do both wheels and thats being really generous with the time. You're looking at approximately $10 each if you go to a bearing supply place. Definetely worth the investment and peace of mind for next years riding season in my books.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
allwalk said:
...approximately $10 each if you go to a bearing supply place. ...
Could you post again the bearing number(s) that we should be looking for at the suppliers?

Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts