Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum but have read " Strange Electrical Problem" b Buffalo in 2017.
Sounded exactly the same problem. Everything fine and then go to scoot to find completely dead. No headlight, no dash display on turn of ignition key. Battery is fully charged and battery voltage available both side of main fuse and input to both fan and fuel fuses. Went to it today and everything lights up with key. However pulled left brake and hit engine start button and everything went off. Not to return. Back to square 1!!
Quirks are that underseat light is on (switch is centre position) but then goes out when I turn the ignition key.
Waiting for a wiring diagram later this week. Any ideas in the mean time?
Shouldn't make a difference but I am UK based.

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
Have you done any maintenance or additions to the wiring recently ? Ridden in any rain storms ? Any peculiar anomaly’s before this ?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Deek sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere. Start with the battery and earth connections. Also it could still be the battery itself, they do strange things sometimes. Check the battery voltage when you hit the start button, or maybe stick some jump leads onto a good battery and see what happens.
Where in UK are you?

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
It sounds like it could be a bad cell in the battery ?

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
DEEK, welcome to the Forums. We allow UK folks on here on a limited basis. Yep you must have a pulse.

Before ripping it apart, try looking at this post below. Start with #3

Reactions: mikeyMarine

·
Registered
713 Posts
As already noted check your battery connections quite possibly the bolts on the battery posts are loose. Pushing the starter will arc them cutting the connection.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you done any maintenance or additions to the wiring recently ? Ridden in any rain storms ? Any peculiar anomaly’s before this ?
Was on the ramp for oil changes and fit some passenger foot boards to raise height for good lady. Started fine to drive to front of house intending to take a ride. Stopped engine for no more than 5 minutes before finding no power. No rain, no wiring changes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DEEK, welcome to the Forums. We allow UK folks on here on a limited basis. Yep you must have a pulse.

Before ripping it apart, try looking at this post below. Start with #3

As already noted check your battery connections quite possibly the bolts on the battery posts are loose. Pushing the starter will arc them cutting the connection.
Took the battery out and checked on the bench. Reading 13v, Replaced and made sure all terminals secured.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Deek sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere. Start with the battery and earth connections. Also it could still be the battery itself, they do strange things sometimes. Check the battery voltage when you hit the start button, or maybe stick some jump leads onto a good battery and see what happens.
Where in UK are you?
Thanks. Will see if the battery cranks by crossing starter terminals.
We are in North Shropshire.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you have a voltmeter, Id start by putting it on your battery, and watch the voltage when you hit the starter. You might see it drop like a rock. in that case it’s your battery and/ or charging system. If the voltage stays above 11 volts, then it’s a bad connection after the battery. Test first on the actual battery lead posts, and then with your dvm leads on the cable ends, that are on the posts. I’ve found hard to see corrosion that dropped voltage across the cable post clamp, just 1/2” from the battery terminal. Made fir a head scratcher moment

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wow & Shock.
I read your Title and thought "650 people dead when the scooter blew up"

Then I realized that I was reading a forum and not the newspaper front page.

Bad news but not as bad as I was expecting!
Guess I have been watching too much news.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All sorted. Turned out to be the battery as a couple had suggested. In 45 years of mechanics never seen a battery present this problem. Used to seeing a battery give up overnight and be dead next day as sulphate crystals settle and short out a cell but even they usually accept charge and work again (for a while).
But this was dead in 5 minutes and then accepted a charge to full 13.2v. So much so that at one point it lit everything up including headlights and then completely dead on pressing starter. I connected a slave battery via jump leads (at this point the original battery was reading 12.8v and the slave battery reading 13v. Ignition on and everything lit up. Hit the starter and the engine cranked over well. Did not fire as the crank speed was slowing. Disconnected the slave that was now reading 12v but the original battery had dropped to 3.5v.
Installed a new Yuasa 14amp/hr and everything good. Alternator was pumping in 14v.
So lesson learnt. Battery can give up completely in minutes and then present as charged.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
New to this forum but have read " Strange Electrical Problem" b Buffalo in 2017.
Sounded exactly the same problem. Everything fine and then go to scoot to find completely dead. No headlight, no dash display on turn of ignition key. Battery is fully charged and battery voltage available both side of main fuse and input to both fan and fuel fuses. Went to it today and everything lights up with key. However pulled left brake and hit engine start button and everything went off. Not to return. Back to square 1!!
Quirks are that underseat light is on (switch is centre position) but then goes out when I turn the ignition key.
Waiting for a wiring diagram later this week. Any ideas in the mean time?
Shouldn't make a difference but I am UK based.
By the way I am new to the forum also. I just picked up my Burgman two weeks ago.
Of interest, just yesterday I had a strange occurrence in that I could not start my Burgman 650. I measured the voltage with a voltmeter and it said the voltage was less than one volt. I then tried two different battery chargers and neither charger would charge the battery. I am not sure why the battery read so low, but I felt that I might have accidentally turned on the “parking lights” if I turned the key counter clockwise too far. I do check to see if lights remain on when I walk away from the Bike and did not see any light remaining on so not certain. My wife said the same. She didn’t see the lights left on.
The next day I did a jump start of the Burgman. It started fine and when I returned to park the bike about 20 minutes later the voltage said 11.5 volts. I then plugged in the charger and it worked this time. The charger later increased the voltage to 12 + volts. So what I cannot figure out is how the battery could have been restored from less than one volt to 11.5 volts by riding the bike a few minutes. I thought batteries that went that low could not be restored. Makes me wonder if there is a loose switch someplace.
On another note, the fact that one can turn on the parking lights with a slight rotation movement of the key is just a problem waiting to happen. My guess is that many have accidently drained their cycle battery.
By the way I am very happy with my Burgman overall.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts