Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently travelled about 65 km of REALLY dusty road and noticed both my boots covered in dust when I got home .
As the air intake for the CVT is just behind my right foot I decided to inspect the CVT filter. Just as well as it was chock a block with dust. The internals of the CVT appeared to still be clean but the airflow would have been severely restricted.
Just something to keep in mind if venturing off the blacktop.
Bazza :shock:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Bazza:

Without going outside in the dark to look at my bike, how hard is it to access the CVT filter? Assuming you've done it and cleaned and reinstalled it, could you give me the drill?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CVT Filter

Sorry Ted, I've had to get a new Modem so have been off the air for a while. Here's the drill
1. Remove the RH lower cover(Beneath the footboard)
2. Look for round black plastic cover on CVT (directly above centrestand)
3. Remove 2 screws near centre of cover (this allows you to shove the concertina rubber duct out of the way so you can then access the 4 screws which secure the black plastic filter cover to the CVT.
4. Remove black plasic cover and filter is revealed.
5. Remove further 2 screws holding the actual filter element and carefully remove filter.
Have fun
Bazza

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks so much.

Now for a further question. I really feel rather stupid asking this.

Why, oh why, does a CVT need an air filter? I mean, isn't it sort of analogous to a transmission? I don't recall ever having one of those with an air filter.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ted seems I'm always apologising for my tardy replies but without forced draught (draft) cooling even the 650 composite belt would melt. All belt type CVT's employ some form of air cooling for the belt. The driven pulley usually has fan blades cast into the outer sheave. Incidently be careful with the hose around the back wheel when washing as it's possible to get water into the transmission air outlet.
Bazza.
this is a great site but I'm still having trouble finding my way around

1 - 6 of 6 Posts