Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Robert here. I'm a new forum member, and my wife is the proud owner of a used 2009 650 Burgman. We got it for $5500 with only 2400 miles on it. So I'm thinking we did okay. She (the bike, not the wife) looks showroom new. :D

The previous owner, the wife of a guy I used to work with, said it was too much scooter for her. They ended up buying a smaller new Honda scooter.

I'm an old rider ... meaning ... I'm 60 years old and have been riding Honda's since I was 16. From CB125's to Pacific Coast's, to NightHawk's, to Goldwing's. My latest is a 2008 Red Goldwing. I'm not comfortable with a passenger on the Wing. Hence, the scooter for the wife.

My wife is new to motorcycling, though about 30 years back, she used to ride a 750 bike around a farm she lived on. At 63 years of age, she recently completed and passed the MSF Basic Riders Course. Yesterday we took out the 650 for her to try her hands at for the first time. She was used to riding a 250cc bike, clutching, shifting, and rear braking with her right foot, so this took some getting used to for her. Needless to say, she was very nervous.

We found a mile long cement service road near our house with no traffic. Perfect. She was very nervous about getting going and then loosing her balance. And so with the motor running and sitting on the bike, she "walked" it for a long time, moving a couple inches at a time to get a feel for it. After 30 minutes and still not going fast enough to pick up her feet, I wasn't sure she was ever going to actually go somewhere. At one point, she also turned off the bike as she noticed that the heat coming from under her seat was noticeably increasing and she didn't want to overheat the bike.

But I'm happy to report she actually got past her fears, and ended up cruising up and down the road a couple times.

The weather in Eastern Iowa yesterday was 85°F and very humid. And the bike had been running for at least 30 minutes, but only moving a few inches every 20 seconds or so. I noticed, as did she, that every so often, we'd hear what the musician (keyboardist) in me would call a "musical note" coming from under the plastic somewhere.

I did some searches for "musical tone" and "sound" for the 650 Burgman, and I did find the articles about the Burgy Fart.

I imagine that's what we were hearing given the heat and stress she was putting on the bike. But I just wanted some input from other owners if this is what you think we were probably hearing. I know without you hearing it, it's only going to be your best guess.

Another issue ... the previous owner told us that he feels that the first owner (we're the 3rd owners) might have forgot his parking brake was on at some point, ridden the bike, and glazed the pads. Our seller tried to burnish the pads to eliminate the squeak. However, it's still there when we push the bike around manually.

Any thoughts? I "think" the squeak is coming from the front pads.
Should I replace the pads? Try to burnish them again? Will they maybe come out of it with actual road use? Would the rotor's need to be burnished perhaps?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
That's quite a story and congratulations on the new bike for your wife. However, I suspect it will be more for your use than hers. That's a lot of bike for ANY newbie, let alone a 63 yo woman. Personally I would have recommended the 400 or something smaller even. I doubt your wife will be any more comfortable on it than the one you bought it from.

I don't know much about the Burgy fart as CA bikes have air quality controls to prevent it, but I believe it happens after you shut off the engine and a relief valve releases any built up pressure from the gas tank. It's supposed to be a definite fart sound, not a tone. However, The engine does have a nice little tone in idle, perhaps that's what you're hearing.

The brake pads are easy enough to take off if you're at all mechanical. You can burnish them if you like or just replace them, they're less than $20. However, many bike's brakes squeak when you're just maneuvering manually, especially backwards, in the opposite direction of the wear pattern. As long as they're not squeaking when you ride, I'd maybe just leave them be.

Well good luck with the new bike and welcome to BUSA from sunny Los Angeles. :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
RF, I bought a new '09 650 this spring, and it too will occasionally fart. The sound, to me however, is more of a ghostly moan/squeal/whistle. It happens sporadically, normally when the Tennessee weather is hot. I've heard it while stopped in traffic, but usually a few minutes or so after I've turned it off. I think it's caused by some type of venting valve.

If the wheels are turning freely by hand (well, the rear is hard to turn because of the drive train design) with just a small amount of normal disc drag, and the rotors aren't scored, I'd just put some miles on it and see if it clears up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
what you have got is the fart,i know this because I have it on my brand new bike, i think you will find it does it more as the gas lowers in the tank, it is the release valve, just try by filling the tank to full so there is less gas to escape and you will find it does not do it when full. nothing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
If the squeal is coming from the front brakes then it is not because the bike was ridden with the parking brake on. The parking brake works on the rear wheel only.

Squeal is usually caused by the brake pads vibrating on the rotor. This can sometimes be stopped by putting a slight bevel on the edge of the pad where it meets the rotor. Use a file to go around the pad and just knock the sharp edge off into a slight bevel.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Burgy fart for sure, I get it from mine all the time. it depends on who hears it as to what it sounds like :) to me I hear it as similar to a balloon when you let the air out, but at a higher frequency and not as loud. To my wife she only hears it like a low tone on a piano.

Brakes, mine squealed a lot after it sat for a long time, I have been riding it for a few months daily, the squeal was front brake, and now I almost never hear it. just went away with use. I back my Burgy down hill into my carport every day with my front and rear brake on lightly, that was the worst squeal for a month or so.
that first month the only thing that made the squeal go away was one or two hard braking applications to 'deglaze' them. don't need to do that any more.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I am not sure this is case of the Burgman fart.

I suspect what you were hearing while running the engine without much effective forward movement was the cooling fan kicked in.

Kudos to your wife the 650 is a big beastie to return to biking on. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
162 Posts
The Burgy fart does happen with the engine running. I can hear it at idle, not anything over idle or moving mind you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts