Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Generated the usual ill informed comments too.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
"and, well, it’s a scooter."

Says it all right there. Scooter snobbery is alive and well in the MC community.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Tourer Runner-Up: Suzuki Burgman 650
How It Moves The Needle: 90 percent of the distance ability of a Gold Wing in a lighter, more affordable, much easier to use package.
Why It Didn’t Win: The small wheels and very low center of gravity lead to low-speed awkwardness and, well, it’s a scooter.
Low speed awkwardness? I only have issues at 80 MPH and upwards

·
Registered
240 Posts

Says it all right there. Scooter snobbery is alive and well in the MC community.

Well said all previous comments......ignorance personified!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Am I missing the point here? Coming in 2nd place means that the Burgman bested all the purpose-engineered motorcycles in the category except one. I find this pretty amazing considering that the only category in which a scooter could truly be No. 1 is 'versatility' (tour, sport, utility and all-around fun).

Given the ingrained anti-scooter snobbery, I think Rideapart made a gutsy call.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts

I had some comments lately from a friend that actually likes scooters , only smaller ones because he says a scooter is or should be a small nimble urban vehicle . He said these mega scooters (like all the ones I OWN !) are nothing but motorcycles with automatic transmissions .

The only thing that matters to me is DO I LIKE THEM ! And I do . I have a couple of 650 Burgs , a Silverwing , a Tmax and some Big Ruckus scooters . I like all of them and truth be told , I am so sick of shifting that if it weren't for the so called automatics , I probably would own one regular motorcycle and wouldn't drive it very often . IMHO shifting is just plain tiresome and boring , I can't imagine doing that again . Every stop light , 5 down and then 5 up , not for me and not ever again .

:sleepy1: TheReaper!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Saw this on ADV under Scooters, http://rideapart.com/2013/12/rideapart-motorcycle-year-awards/3/ Not much of a report, but it came in second. The Honda NC700X got a good report to, I would still like the Integra as my scooter/bike just for the larger wheels and more to the motorcycle side of scooter riding.

John
Tourer Runner-Up: Suzuki Burgman 650
How It Moves The Needle: 90 percent of the distance ability of a Gold Wing in a lighter, more affordable, much easier to use package.
Why It Didn’t Win: The small wheels and very low center of gravity lead to low-speed awkwardness and, well, it’s a scooter.

Compare $10,000.00 650 Burgie to a $30,000.00 Goldwing uncontested king of tourer bike is great complement and say so much about many great quality of the 650 and how fantastic this bike is.

Lower center of gravity make the Burgman much more easy to handle, in general, the so called small wheel are not so small at all, only awkwardness is fact that he not have it long enough for real explore of of all fantastic quality of Burgie and lack of his knowledge of this bike.

After all it only a scooter !

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Funny old thing I do agree about the low speed awkwardness.

I have only had 2 offs on the Burgman.

On both occasions I was doing zero miles per hour and dropped the bloody thing. That was pretty awkward. Of course it was not my fault it was all down to the teensy weensy wheels and the low C of G.

Luckily on both occasions there was no else looking.:)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Am I missing the point here? Coming in 2nd place means that the Burgman bested all the purpose-engineered motorcycles in the category except one. I find this pretty amazing considering that the only category in which a scooter could truly be No. 1 is 'versatility' (tour, sport, utility and all-around fun).

Given the ingrained anti-scooter snobbery, I think Rideapart made a gutsy call.

It's the fact that, being a scooter, it is somehow lacking; it implies that its not qualified to be number one due to an inherent problem in its basic form. No matter how good it is, it could never win because, "well, it's a scooter".

Why can't it just be a great bike, regardless of its form? Coming in second is fine, it shows what a strong contender the Burgman is in the category given the inherent prevailing prejudice.

To add that little tag line is akin to saying, "she does a great job, for a woman". We should not be congratulating Rideapart for being second when first wasn't an option.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Funny old thing I do agree about the low speed awkwardness.

I have only had 2 offs on the Burgman.

On both occasions I was doing zero miles per hour and dropped the bloody thing. That was pretty awkward. Of course it was not my fault it was all down to the teensy weensy wheels and the low C of G.

Luckily on both occasions there was no else looking.:)
So far I have not dropped my Burgman. Oh I am sure that the time is coming. I usually wait to drop my bikes until a large group of motorcycles are around me. I dropped my PC the first time at the top of Deal's Gap with about 300 other motorcyclists watching. Had plenty of help picking it up. One guy told me he figured it would be him to do that. About 20 others agreed that they were glad it wasn't them. Just goes to show...

As to the Burgman being the second best touring bike. I think my Burgman is the best motorcycle I have owned. Ever.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
There are too many design tradeoffs that prevent a scooter from being a world beater in most SPECIFIC categories. Given the suspension limitations we all admit to, (harsh ride on bad pavement/interstate slabs), no way can the Burgman be considered the best long distance tourer. Can it outrun a Gixxer in the canyons - nope. Fastest off the line - nope. Louder than a Harley? Alluring to pretty young things?

When Rideapart described the Burgman as 90% Goldwing - I thought that was fantastic. As a sport bike, I like describing the Burgman as a 'Half-a-busa'.

The gold medal winning decathlete is usually proclaimed as the greatest athlete in the world, yet he doesn't have to come in first in ANY of the ten events. That's how I see the Burgman.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I agree with Rideapart, not because it's a scooter, but because of the poor suspension, lack of high speed stability, and lack of power.

My ancient 1981 BMW R100 RS with 67 HP had no problems with potholes and cruised effortless at indicated 100 MPH.
The Burgman is much better at small winding roads, fast enough on all roads except motorways, and easier to maintain. I will never buy a carburated motorcycle again.

The Burgman's lack of comfort, for my body measurements, means that 25 miles is about as far as I care to go one way.

I make many 20 mile rides just for fun, though.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I not find 650 suspension so bad, the 2009 suspension better than suspension on 2005 me had, think 2013 also better that 2009. Weekend me can ride 250 - 400 mile on Saturday + do same again on Sunday, it difficult to ride at more than 80-85 mph here or New-England were ride often. Have push 650 to 100 mph few time and find it do fine, not many bike or road made for ride at 100 mph continuous anyway.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Not a Burgy, but roads that rattled my mother's teeth on an LS650 I cruised right over on my Helix. Gotta love the huge wheelbase. :D

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
ErikDK: Gotta ask - what are your body measurements that limit you to a 25 mile range on the Burgman??

·
Registered
348 Posts
Saw this on ADV under Scooters,
John
If you look closer, the Burgman 650 is ranked in the TOURING category and being compared to the Goldwing F6B.

This mean that the Burgman 650 beat out the Goldwing 1800 M series with the standard top box, beat the BMW 1600 six cylinder, Kawasaki Concours 1400, Yamaha FJR1300A, Harley Road King Classic, etc. etc.

The article is what it is... I have both the Goldwing F6B and Burgman 650. As most agree, the suspension on the Burgman can be better while the F6B is bulky at 1800+cc with more power and better suspension. I would have no hesitation taking either bikes cross country. Both are excellent touring motorcycles :D

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Oh I concur, the Burgman beat out a lot of fine bikes. However many of the bikes mentioned are quite dated and none offer the fantastic auto/manual/power mode tranny. What better option to have on a touring bike! And I'm sure the F6B is a fine bike and perhaps better than the Burgman. I've no issue with the bikes, ranking, etc.

It was the tag line of "well, its a scooter" that shows a little lack of respect. You would think a bike good enough to best a BMW 1600, Concours, Goldwing, et al, should be referred to as a "fantastic bike" or "Great tourer", etc. To put that little tag line diminishes its accomplishment. I was just pointing out something we all know, the MC community doesn't really accept scooters as equals, no matter how good they are.

But this is progress, no doubt about it! We're not there yet, but scooters are on their way to legitimacy. Change takes time, just see how far they've come just in the past 15 years. There was a time when scoots were completely scoffed at. Now, I get a lot of "wow, your bike can do that..." Perceptions evolve.

Bikes like the Burgman and new Honda NC700/Integra are really blurring the lines between MC and scooter. I hope the manufacturers continue to blur them. How about a Burgman 1000, BMW 950GT or a Honda PlatinumWing? All with auto trannys, be they CVT or geared. Perhaps the lines will get so blurred we won't make a distinction anymore. A great bike will be just a great bike, no addendum needed.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I use to call my scoot a mini wing but now I call it a Mini RT :p

It is what it is. It does many things well but it could have a bit more oomph on the interstate and the suspension is harsh on bad roads.

That said, it is a great commuter, decent 2 up (at least for us), handles the twisties really well, and overall pretty affordable.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts