Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just what is required to make a stock Burgman in AZ. comply with the law in California. What is the cost factor of doing this?
Terry in AZ.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
From the California DMV site (accessed from the link "gruntled" provided).

"California residents are prohibited from importing, purchasing, or leasing a new vehicle from another state, unless the vehicle was manufactured for sale in California and the Environmental Protection Agency label certifies the vehicle has California smog equipment. California considers a new vehicle to be any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time it is purchased or aquired."

That seems to say forget about retrofitting. The only way around it is to buy one with at least 7500 miles on it. Then, in certain areas of the state, it appears that a periodic "smog certification" inspection is required. I'm wondering if a non-California model would have difficulty with that.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Reading further on the California DMV site, it looks like you can register a non-California compliant vehicle if you are moving to California from another state, and already own the vehicle. It still has to pass smog certification. And if you've owned it for less than a year, you get to pay a "use tax" - whatever that is.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
"Use tax" is what the sales tax would have been. All Kalifornia residents are suppossed to pay this on all mail orders & internet sales. I wonder if ANYONE ever has? I have never had to have a smog check on a motorcycle & I live in the affected area. I don't think motorcycles are included in the law.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
From a link on that same page. Mororcycles are exempt from smog checks.

"Do I Really Need A Smog Check?"

Not all vehicles must get a Smog Check. Additionally, some vehicles only need a Smog Check when they are being sold or being registered in California after previously being registered in another state. Whether or not a vehicle needs a Smog Check depends on the type of vehicle, the model-year, and the area in which the vehicle is registered.

Some vehicles are exempt from the Smog Check program

Additionally, vehicles with diesel engines, vehicles with two-cycle engines, vehicles with engines smaller than 50 cubic inches of displacement, electric vehicles, and motorcycles are exempt from the Smog Check program.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts