Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sold a 2006 well maintained, excellent running 400 for a 2007 650 Executive. Bike is in great physical shape with 2400 miles. When I checked it out, I was a little concerned that inspection expired in 2010, but the bike started right up. I took it for a little test drive, seemed ok at the time, and loaded it on the trailer.

Got it home and really gave it the works. It doesn't seem to accelearate as fast as the 400, and bogs down off the start as if the throttle doesn't respond. Does the same thing at around 55 mph. I switched the "power mode" back and forth & while you could tell the bike picked up power, I still felt unresponsive and bog down.

Any idea what this could be? I'm hoping its something simple, because I'll hate myself for selling a great bike for a lemon? Could it be old fuel? Old spark plug?

Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
The 650 doesn't like or respond well to a fist full of throttle from a dead stop, just get rolling a bit then hit it you'll see a big difference. I'm not sure it's so much a speed related lag as it is an RPM related hesitation at around 4000 rpm, She seems to respond funny around the 4k mark at slow to med speed once you pass through it it's fine. I just learned to throttle through that hesitation zone.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the 400. Mine bogged down when I accelerated, but would run good if I let off the throttle just a little. My problem was the O rings in the fuel pump. I replaced them and it runs fine now. Not sure about the 650 though. I'm not familiar with it.
I'm sure someone on here will have some input who is more familiar with the 650.

·
Premium Member
14,316 Posts
If it has not been run much in a long time you may need to run some injector cleaner through it.

Past that the throttle position sensor (TPS) may be out of adjustment or going bad. Either can cause hesitation. Adjusting it requires putting the PCM in dealer mode. loosing the hold down screw on the TPS and moving it until the indicator on the dash is in the correct position.

·
Registered
122 Posts
This may sound strange but, take out the air filter and have a look at it and in the air box and see if any critters have built a nest in there restricting air flow. (What is it about air boxes and a rodent's love for them? Mud-dobbers, ants and wasps have also been known to cause problems in the air box.)

Next, were I you, I would go ahead and replace the plugs also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check & cleaned the air filter...no critters! Thank god, I don't think I could handle that. Put in some injection cleaner, and a fuel additive. Took it out, and took it a bit easy. Better, but not as responsive as my 400. And not as responsive as the 2013 I took out a few months ago. Not 100% sure I'm happy with the bike.

Have to take it to the dealer for oil change & inspection. Will ask for spark plug to be replaced. Seems a bit daunting to me.

Any other things I should ask the dealer about.

Thanks for such quick turnaround.

·
Premium Member
14,316 Posts
Have him check the TPS adjustment.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
If bike not run much since 2010, gas could be very bad and cause problem, use a fuel system and injector cleaner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts