Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,325 Posts
Lots of places, dealers, online, motorcycle shops, some auto parts stores, stores like batteries plus, even Wal-Mart. The battery currently in my 650 came from Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i thought it may be a battery problem. my bike would not start...lights come on and it seems like it wants to start but then it does that clicking sound which i thought was a battery issue. i had the battery tested by a volt meter and im getting 12 volts. could it be something else? please help

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Just because the battery is showing 12 volts doesn't mean the battery is good. You might have a cell going bad under load. Take the battery out and take it and have it tested. You can get this done at most battery dealers like Batteries Unlimited. Some auto part shops can test them, call ahead and ask if they can do a load test on a 12 volt motorcycle battery (they will know what you are asking).

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got my battery last fall from www.batterystuff.com. I found lots of useful information on batteries there and the shipping was free and the price was reasonable. I would highly recommend putting any battery on a battery tender of some sort. I didn't use one on the previous Mottobatt battery I had, and I got less than 2 years out of it. I bought a Battery Minder brand through batterystuff and it has done a nice job of keeping the battery charged properly. Bike starts right up after sitting for a month, even in the very cold weather we have had this winter in Michigan. The unit also desulfates the battery if needed. FWIW. Rick.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I am finding my Motobatt battery is a piece of crap. Only 1 1/2 yrs old
and i am having problems with it holding a charge. I live in fl so we ride all year. The bike did sit for a month when i had the flu real bad. Hopefully it is a bad battery and not a rectifier problem.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Hopefully it is a bad battery and not a rectifier problem.
Bad battery definitely force rectifier problem, that problem much more expense than battery replacement.

Yuasa very good brand:

http://www.bikebandit.com/yuasa-high-performance-maintenance-free-battery-ytx14-bs?m=147501

http://www.bikebandit.com/bikemaster-maintenance-free-vrla-battery-btx14-bs?m=147501

http://www.bikebandit.com/bikemaster-high-performance-maintenance-free-battery-btx14h-bs?m=147501

http://www.bikebandit.com/bikemaster-trugel-battery-mg14-bs?m=147501

·
Registered
24 Posts
When I had my Intruder I replaced the battery with a custom Odyssey battery from GMan Industries (www.gmanindustries.com) - they came highly recommended on the Intruder Alert forum. Had the battery for four years, in the bike when I traded it in on the Burgman last summer. Never had a problem - bike sat in garage for three winters, temperature often getting to -20C and never used a battery tender. First nice spring day, wheeled bike out and fired up every time. The batteries are not cheap but if you want something that is reliable that you can put in your ride and basically ignore for four to five years then this is a good option. Will be my choice when time comes to replace battery in my Burgman.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
It was called a "Tong Test" in my day.
peelbrow, a tong test tells current flow and a load test tells voltage under load.

This is a tong tester.

And this is a load tester.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Went and had mottobatt battery load tested yesterday. While unhooking battery i noticed the negative side post that screws into battery was loose. I took it down to local "battery power" store. It load tested at 120.
specs for mottobatt from what i am told is to test at 250 for starting.
Owner told me he would not stock mottobatt because it has not been a reliable battery. He tried to sell me a "Deca AGM battery" at $85. But, i
noticed the posts would not work with the Burgman 650. So, i brought battery home and put it on a trickle charge. I will keep a eye on it to see if it discharges again. Never had a problem with the OEM battery discharging like that if it sat for a month which is very rare for me.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Went and had mottobatt battery load tested yesterday. While unhooking battery i noticed the negative side post that screws into battery was loose. I took it down to local "battery power" store. It load tested at 120.
specs for mottobatt from what i am told is to test at 250 for starting.
Owner told me he would not stock mottobatt because it has not been a reliable battery. He tried to sell me a "Deca AGM battery" at $85. But, i
noticed the posts would not work with the Burgman 650. So, i brought battery home and put it on a trickle charge. I will keep a eye on it to see if it discharges again. Never had a problem with the OEM battery discharging like that if it sat for a month which is very rare for me.
If your battery failed a load test (which your numbers says it did) then you can charge that battery for as long as you like, it will never be reliable. Time for a new AGM battery.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
373 Posts
I had a flat battery a couple of times on my first Burgman 650
Took it into the dealers for them to check the battery.
The dealer found one of the battery terminals loose!
Never worked out how it worked loose because it was tight previously.
Never had a problem after that :)

Andy

·
Read Only
1,204 Posts
I had a flat battery a couple of times on my first Burgman 650
Took it into the dealers for them to check the battery.
The dealer found one of the battery terminals loose!
Never worked out how it worked loose because it was tight previously.
Never had a problem after that :)

Andy
I've had several bikes that have had the battery terminal work loose and I was sure I had tightened them tight.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Battery update: After 3wks time just went out and checked battery voltage.
Non running- 13.8v
Key turned on- 11.7v
Running at 5,000rpm- 14.7v
So, i believe my whole problem must have been a loose terminal i was not aware of.
As always i will keep a close watch on the situation and the terminals. Nothing worse
then getting stranded on the road with a Lardy.LOL

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Over so many year have learn that connecting battery to such simple and inexpensive battery charger when not riding can double life battery and prevent other electric problem. I connect this little charger as soon as get home from ride and always connect when not riding, it fully automatic, does not require other attention.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Battery update: After 3wks time just went out and checked battery voltage.
Non running- 13.8v
Key turned on- 11.7v
Running at 5,000rpm- 14.7v
So, i believe my whole problem must have been a loose terminal i was not aware of.
As always i will keep a close watch on the situation and the terminals. Nothing worse
then getting stranded on the road with a Lardy.LOL
11.7V is to low and 14.7 V is to high -> your battery has reached EOL and is worthless.

·
Registered
White Burgman 650 standard
3,157 Posts
I got tired of replacing batteries in the tropics where my bikes sit for up to 9 months ( on trickle chargers ) so opted for these.
They would likely last the life of a Burgman and wow are they ever light.

http://shoraipower.com/

1 - 20 of 31 Posts