Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a driver's backrest for my 650. The installation requires me to remove the two Phillips screws under the seat. They definitely unscrew, but they won't come out. After checking with Suzuki, I learned that those screws prevent someone from stealing your pad off the seat. Didn't know that was a concern. LOL
Anyway, am I okay to drill those out since they don't seem to have a useful function?

·
Registered
255 Posts
The screws will come out if you grab ahold of them with some pliers and slightly pull on the screw head while unscrewing them. I think the reason they are in there are to prevent the backrest from inadvertently sliding all the way out if you are adjusting the seat rest forward.
Greg

·
Registered
154 Posts
I believe they screw into a bracket of sorts. Mine came out without issue when I put in a gel insert. Hopefully someone else will chime in with a better answer. I would not drill them out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Those little screws are a source of frustration to many Burgman owners from what I have read. I removed mine using a JIS screwdriver and a LOT of pressure.

You can probably drill them out just go slow and be careful, I think you will have to remove leftovers from the backrest also.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Use a small pair of Vise-Grips and they will come right out .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Had the same problem....Twice!
Had a 650 where the screw was so tight that I ended up drilling it out.
My latest 400 had the screw where it just turned.
Couldn't drill it out because it just spun on the drill bit!
Had to dremmel the plastic out slightly so I could get a screwdriver blade under the screw.
I then could put outward pressure on the screw and it unscrewed.

Andy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts