Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I took my bike in to the dealer for the 600 mile service @ 800 miles figuring this would be the best way to go should I need any warranty work done in the future. When I got home I looked over the service ticket and noticed the only materials that were used was 3 quarts of oil and an oil filter so I ran to Autozone and picked up 2 quarts of Valvoline 10w-40 Motorcycle oil and 2 quarts of SAE 90 (GL-5) gear oil. Got home, let the bike cool then proceeded to change both the Transmission oil and Final drive oil, please see the pictures below of the oil pulled from both the transmission and final drive. The dealer said they did all 3, I for one don't believe they changed the tranny or the final drive what do you think based on upon the pictures below. Mind you I only put 30 miles on the bike since the service was done on 10/20/12.

The container on the left is the old transmission oil and the final drive on the right.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Neither looks new but changing oil the new mixes with whatever is left in the case discoloring to new oil after being run. By the numbers they should have used basically 3 quarts of oil (engine/trans by specs) and not even 1/2 quart of gear oil. You should have been able to tell by marks on the fill/drain plugs whether or not tools were used on them.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MJR said:
Neither looks new but changing oil the new mixes with whatever is left in the case discoloring to new oil after being run.
If that is the case why is crankcase oil still a light golden color in the level glass and the tranny & final drive oil so filthy.

MJR said:
By the numbers they should have used basically 3 quarts of oil (engine/trans by specs) and not even 1/2 quart of gear oil. You should have been able to tell by marks on the fill/drain plugs whether or not tools were used on them.
There were no marks on the tranny or final drive drain & fill plugs. On another note the magnetic drain plugs had a descent amount of metal on them which further leads me to believe it wasn't changed.

I'm going to take the oil back to the dealer and complain.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
InfernoST said:
If that is the case why is crankcase oil still a light golden color in the level glass and the tranny & final drive oil so filthy.

There were no marks on the tranny or final drive drain & fill plugs. On another note the magnetic drain plugs had a descent amount of metal on them which further leads me to believe it wasn't changed.
Sounds like they didn't do it then :(

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
My view is they did not change those oils.
Robbing incompetent bar stewards - so they are.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Thanks for this thread, with slightly under 200miles on mine, I was debating the best way forward.

Now it's settled.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fatjock said:
Thanks for this thread, with slightly under 200miles on mine, I was debating the best way forward.

Now it's settled.
They consider the 600 mile service to be a crucial service point in the bikes life, the only reason I took it to the dealer is to have it on record should I need warranty work down the road and not have them turn to me and say I didn't do it properly.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Apply Dykem Tamper Proof Torque Marker to fill and drain plugs next time before taking your scooter to "service"

Provides a convenient, visible method for identifying nuts, bolts, fasteners and assemblies that have loosened due to vibration or tampering. Make a mark and then easily detect when torque has changed. Provides warranty protection against tampering. Mark will be broken if parts are tampered with or become loose. Highly visible orange color. Fluorescent under UV light. Exceptional adhesion to metal and other substances.
Best would be if they make a variety only visible under UV light, so they couldn't just loosen and re-tighten the plugs without changing the fluids.

I wonder how many valves have been magically adjusted without touch of a human hand.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ErikDK said:
Apply Dykem Tamper Proof Torque Marker to fill and drain plugs next time before taking your scooter to "service"

Provides a convenient, visible method for identifying nuts, bolts, fasteners and assemblies that have loosened due to vibration or tampering. Make a mark and then easily detect when torque has changed. Provides warranty protection against tampering. Mark will be broken if parts are tampered with or become loose. Highly visible orange color. Fluorescent under UV light. Exceptional adhesion to metal and other substances.
Best would be if they make a variety only visible under UV light, so they couldn't just loosen and re-tighten the plugs without changing the fluids.

I wonder how many valves have been magically adjusted without touch of a human hand.
Thanks for the tip but from here on in I will taking care of everything myself.

I will pick some up just in case.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I took mine to the dealer for the 600 mile service. The drain plug for the engine was not even close to being tight had an oil leak a couple of days after it was done. The rear drive was way overfilled and the transmission was overfilled also and I got all that for a mere $170.00 can't wait to have them do some more service. Have had two more problems and they will not even look at it unless it fails while its there.So I guess mosty of the dealers do the same quality work.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
InfernoST said:
They consider the 600 mile service to be a crucial service point in the bikes life, the only reason I took it to the dealer is to have it on record should I need warranty work down the road and not have them turn to me and say I didn't do it properly.
A couple a little things spring to mind here........

1) They can no longer deny a warranty claim, because the PM work was carried out somewhere other than a dealers.
2) Nowadays, it's easy to to create a photographic log timing, dating, and even GPS positioning, the photographs, to demonstrate that the work was carried it IAW recommendations.
3) What happens to the warranty if you take it to a different dealer, and they decide (as you have observed) that the first dealer didn't do the work properly? Does it matter who didn't do the work?
4) I guess I might be willing to take it to a dealers, if they'll let me stay and watch the work being carried out.

Thanks for bringing this up. If I do it myself, I'll have to make sure I have everything clearly documented.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MrWick said:
I took mine to the dealer for the 600 mile service. The drain plug for the engine was not even close to being tight had an oil leak a couple of days after it was done. The rear drive was way overfilled and the transmission was overfilled also and I got all that for a mere $170.00 can't wait to have them do some more service. Have had two more problems and they will not even look at it unless it fails while its there.So I guess mosty of the dealers do the same quality work.
It's a bloody shame a majority of the dealers are the way they are, good shops are far and few between. I would contact Suzuki directly explaining the problems you're having with the bike and the dealer.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
hard to judge engine oil by its color but that final drive oil looks odd. I am not sure if Suzuki's final drive oil is green?

I have been using Mobile 1's Gear Lube LS 75W-90 and it's goldish in color and always comes out that way.

keep track of everything you do and you should be fine if a warranty issue ever comes up.

Keep any receipt etc... take some pics too.

good luck....

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
InfernoST said:
It's a bloody shame a majority of the dealers are the way they are, good shops are far and few between. I would contact Suzuki directly explaining the problems you're having with the bike and the dealer.
+1 Send a complaining missive to Suzuki, Japan. Address it to the Chairman (personal). If there is one thing they do not like it is complaints to the chairman - and they always get acted upon.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I hope you didn't have to pay for the service. The dealer I purchased my Burg from, gave me the 600 mile service for free so that I would come back for all my future services and repairs. Luckly I've been reading this site way before purchasing my Burg and I felt I could tackle any of the service requirements that bike needed. I've done all engine, transmisison and final drive fluid changes myself. I buy the necessary oil and filter and keep the receipt along with writing down the mileage when I do the service. Only thing I wish a had is a motorcycle table lift, so I don't have to be on my hands and knees to do the service.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
socaltino said:
I've done all engine, transmisison and final drive fluid changes myself. I buy the necessary oil and filter and keep the receipt along with writing down the mileage when I do the service. Only thing I wish a had is a motorcycle table lift, so I don't have to be on my hands and knees to do the service.
If you were closer I would let you use mine. It sure does make life much easier.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts