Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

USA owners: How much did you pay for your 4000 mile service?

• Less than $100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than $100

• More than $200

• More than $300

• More than $400

• More than $500

• I did it myself

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, in preperation for a long trip I'm taking in a few hours I took my Burgman to my dealer for its 4000 mile service.

The tech went to the computer, as before, and said something about "valve adjustment." Oh no, not that again! So I told him that the 650 didn't need the valves done until 14,500 miles. He went to the paper service manual, and found that I was, of course, correct.

So he made an appointment to do only the services listed.

The manual only showed a few more items than for the 600 mile service, so I expected the price to be similar: $175 - $200. It wasn't.

$438.00! W-T-H!

Because of my trip I really didn't have much choice, but yikes! This is economical transportation?!

I no longer have a garage at my house (it's been converted to an apartment for my brother and his wife), but I am going to figure out some place to do my own routine service from now on. I bought the service manual and have a few tools, and compared to $400 a pop at the dealer I can sure afford to buy more tools if needed.

My question is directed at riders in the USA. What did you pay for your 4K service?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The $438 charge for that service is outrageous - I'll even say criminal. I haven't had a service on my 650 yet that was much over $200. Just had the 11,000 mile done last week, and it was $113.23 with tax, shop fees, and everything. That included Silkolene synthetic motor oil. Labor charge was 1 hour. They did not replace the air filter (scheduled), because they said it looked fine - I have a spare in my garage anyway that I had bought at Ron Ayers. I think the 4k service is similar.

The only service that should approach that cost is the 14,500 - which does call for a valve adjustment.

Brian, you should take the issue to Suzuki. The dealer stole about $300 from you. They deserve to get in some hot water over that. They are either grossly incompetent - or outright thieves. Whatever - they do not deserve to be in the Suzuki dealer network.

·
Registered
308 Posts
pauljo said:
Brian, you should take the issue to Suzuki. The dealer stole about $300 from you. They deserve to get in some hot water over that. They are either grossly incompetent - or outright thieves. Whatever - they do not deserve to be in the Suzuki dealer network.
I complained to Aunt Suzy about my dealer charging 480 for the 4k (which I didnt have them perform). Suzuki's Answer:

"we have no control over servicing prices - shop around". They can kiss my ass. The dealer, BTW, could not justify by hours and line item the 480.

I found a dealer further away....somewhat less - actually about half. It will be complicated arranging service at that distance. I will just change oil and such.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Wouldn't it be good (well for you guys that side of the pond).

If it was possible to procure and hire out the most likely items of special tooling. When a forum member need it he paid a deposit of the tool cost and shipping and when he returned it (or passed it on to the next guy who needed it), he got his deposit-minus shipping cost back.

Have I explained that OK? Mmmm - think I confused myself :idea:

·
Registered
137 Posts
So I want have to search through my owner's manual and still not find the answers, what all is done at a 4K service. I have 3,100 miles on my 650 now and so I'm starting to think along those lines. My wife still isn't convinced this is economical transportation either so I'm just wondering can I do most of this myself and save money or does the life and performance of my scoot depend on it.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
jkrerol15 said:
So I want have to search through my owner's manual and still not find the answers, what all is done at a 4K service.
There is a table in my 650 owner's manual that shows exactly what is required at each service interval. Have another look.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
There is normally a table of maintenance items and mileage in the owners manual in tabular form.

Can you do it yourself? Well you are the best guy to answer that - surely?

Anyways, once you have mastered the art of tupperware removal most maintenance items are pretty simple. The most complex is probably valve clearance checking and adjustment. (Shim under bucket on the 650).

However, you may also wish to consider the potential impact on warranty. I believe you can get around this by buying all the parts from the Suzy dealer and getting a dated invoice. One thing though - you really do need a service manual if you are serious about going down this route. I believe if you are quick and have a fast net connection you could download it. There is a topic heading in this section of the forum which will give you the requisite URL. (Not sure of the final printed quality though!).

Your call.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I just got home from my 1st service at 600 miles. They charged me 1.5 hours for it plus fluids but I used my OWN Amsoil Syntetic oil in both the motor AND trans, their synthetic in the final drive. They also quoted me 1.5 hours to install my Suzuki Aluminum luggage rack but crossed it out and charged an even 1.0 hour instead. So, I paid $242.39 total at $85.00 per hour. Our California rates are high but so is our Workers Comp. I just lost MY job this week from it...... :oops:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Dudes... you're over-paying!! As I've been saying in other posts, find a good, independent motorcycle mechanic. Mine is $65/hour (and I'm in the Los Angeles area). I bring in my bike and the service manual. No hassles, no price gouging, no bs. I literally have a Suzuki dealer 1 mile from the house. The mechanic is 2 miles from the house. Really pays to get away from the mainstream and go the independent route.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jkrerol15 said:
So I [won't] have to search through my owner's manual and still not find the answers, what all is done at a 4K service....
Greetings. I'm on a layover and thought I'd pop in briefly to check messages and stuff.

I have my manual with me, but first:

I was charged for 5.5 hours of service. When I get back home I'm going to go to the service manager about this. I think they went by the computer listing, which as I mentioned above included a valve adjustment that wasn't needed. Hopefully I can get a refund, or at least a credit, if that's the case.

If other dealers are using the same computer program that could account for some of us paying such outrageous prices.

Anyway, here's what's listed in the owner's (pp 45) and service (pp 2-2) manuals for the 4k service:

Spark Plug -- Inspect
Air cleaner element -- Inspect
Idle speed -- Inspect
Throttle cable play -- Inspect
Radiator hose -- Inspect
Fuel line --Inspect
Engine oil -- Replace
Transmission oil -- Inspect
Brakes -- Inspect
Brake hose -- Inspect
Brake fluid -- Inspect
Tires -- Inspect
Chassis bolts and nuts -- Tighten

Although not listed, and not requested by me, they also changed the oil filter; and from looking at the invoice I think they also replaced the transmission oil, rather than just inspecting it (of course they'll say that inspection revealed the need for a change).

I don't see how the listed items can take 5.5 hours, and I will be asking them for a line by line justification for those charges. Although Suzuki is correct that they can charge whatever they want, they post their service rate as $68/hour, and if the hours are out of line with industry norms there are grounds for legal action.

Again, I've never had problems with this dealership before, and my 600 mile service was performed reasonably, so I'm hoping this was a simple mistake that can be rectified when I get home. (The service manager wasn't there on Thursday, and I don't know the man who scheduled and rang up the service. He may be new.)

·
Registered
120 Posts
My first 3 services were included in my purchase so I have yet to fork out cash. I am quickly coming up on service#3. After the last freebie, I will most likely do my own

·
Registered
822 Posts
Brian,

Did you pay with Visa/MC? If yes, file a dispute with your credit card company (call them for info). In your dispute, include a copy of the service manual and your dealer's receipt. If the credit card company finds them at fault, they'll have a chargeback (they'll reverse the charge in your favor). With enough chargebacks, the dealer will lose the ability to accept Visa/MC.

·
Registered
520 Posts
chuck807 said:
Dudes... you're over-paying!! As I've been saying in other posts, find a good, independent motorcycle mechanic. Mine is $65/hour (and I'm in the Los Angeles area). I bring in my bike and the service manual. No hassles, no price gouging, no bs. I literally have a Suzuki dealer 1 mile from the house. The mechanic is 2 miles from the house. Really pays to get away from the mainstream and go the independent route.
I know, I know, BUT. The dealer I worked for once (where I bought it) does NOT do the work yet charges for it (caught them 5 times now). Yhey do not KNOW how to do most work, have been towed before.....I just as soon PAY if the shop has the BEST people, AND really does the assigned work. I hate paying to much, yet am willing to pay for the "best", if I have to.
Funny thing, my scooter had 5 miles on it when I picked it up. Kind of a long road test? Think someone else here experienced that too? Paul?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Pappy said:
Funny thing, my scooter had 5 miles on it when I picked it up. Kind of a long road test? Think someone else here experienced that too?
Mine had 37 miles. The dealer I bought mine from does allow test drives.

·
Registered
520 Posts
billmeek said:
Pappy said:
Funny thing, my scooter had 5 miles on it when I picked it up. Kind of a long road test? Think someone else here experienced that too?
Mine had 37 miles. The dealer I bought mine from does allow test drives.
I'm sorry, MEANT to say, mine had 5 MORE miles on it "after" my 1st service than "after" my first service. Someone drove it 5 miles during it's stay at the dealer.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Ooops. :oops: Misread on my part.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Pappy said:
Funny thing, my scooter had 5 miles on it when I picked it up. Kind of a long road test? Think someone else here experienced that too? Paul?
Yep. Mine had 6 or 7 miles put on it at the dealership when I left it for the 7500 mile service. They only put 1 mile on it last week at the 11000 mile service though. How disappointing! :wink:

·
Registered
520 Posts
pauljo said:
Pappy said:
Yep. Mine had 6 or 7 miles put on it at the dealership when I left it for the 7500 mile service. They only put 1 mile on it last week at the 11000 mile service though. How disappointing! :wink:
Just bored by now? :)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts